ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   WHat I would sign Ty Law for... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=112360)

donkhater 03-16-2005 08:58 AM

WHat I would sign Ty Law for...

1) an average base contract in the range for starting CB's ($3-6 mil/year)

2) A signing bonus LESS than $10 million. Seeing as how he'll likely sign after June 1st, I figure he should ultimately get a signing bonus in the $4-5 million range

3) Roster bonus for next season of around $10 million. This would all but guarantee his release (if he doesn't recover) or restructuring if he is completly healed and plays well.(converting the roster bonus into a signing bonus on a 4-5 year contract).

What this is:

Essentially a one year contract worth about $5 million (sigining bonus + small base). The poison pill in the form of a roster bonus forces KC to make a decision. If he heals and wants more than $10 million to re-up, KC can let him go. If he doesn't heal, KC can cut him before a huge pay day.

Ty Law is protected somewhat as well. If he doesn't heal, he at least got $5 million with another team likely to look at him again. If he does heal, he'll be an unrestrited FA CB.

Hoover 03-16-2005 09:21 AM

I would do a 5 Mil SB, and a 5 Mil Roster Bonus

wutamess 03-16-2005 09:36 AM

I think you're missing it...
It's not what you or the CHiefs would sign him to it's what he would agree to.

Law left New England because he was garaunteed $12 million. Why in the hell would he come to K.C. for $5 million and he said he wants his $12 million one way or another.

You guys with your contract designs are killing me over here.

Just stop speculating and thinking of the possibilties.

~ Who pissed in my cornflakes?

donkhater 03-16-2005 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wutamess

Law left New England because he was garaunteed $12 million. Why in the hell would he come to K.C. for $5 million and he said he wants his $12 million one way or another.

Law got cut from New England, he didn't leave voluntarily. The situation with his foot and the subsequent offers he is going to get at a later time in free agency is going to drive down his price. Whatever he was demanding from NE he will soon find out that a 31-year old injured CB isn't isn't going to get it.

He probably wouldn't sign for what I proposed now, but I wouldn't be shocked if, as the market dries up, that is what he ultimately will have to settle for which is a 'show me that you are healed' 1-year contract.

Amnorix 03-16-2005 09:51 AM

Just to clarify Law's contract situation in New England.

2005 was the last year of a 6 or 7 year deal he signed iwth us in the late 90's. His salary (including roster bonus) for 2005 was going to be on the order of $10M. He also had a pro rated portion of his signing bonus that would hit the cap for about $2M. His total cap number was therefore going to be somewhat in excess of $12M.

The Patriots decided a CB with a foot injury on the wrong side of 30 years of age, without whom we had won a Super Bowl, was not worth dedicating something like 14% of our cap space to, so he was cut.

Chiefnj 03-16-2005 09:55 AM

March 2004:

"Last month Law called the Patriots' four-year, $26 million offer "an insult" and "a slap in the face." Law told the Globe this week that he thought negotiations would continue, but the team told him they would carry Law's $10 million salary cap figure into next season.

"They told me they didn't want to insult Ty anymore, so they're not going to submit any more offers," Carl Poston, Law's agent, told the Globe.

When Poston made the Pats a seven-year, $63 million counteroffer that included $20 million to sign and $28 million over the first three years, Pioli reportedly responded with something to effect of "We can't do that. Save the paper.""

the Talking Can 03-16-2005 10:10 AM

I can hear Law laughing clear from the east coast.

wutamess 03-16-2005 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donkhater
Law got cut from New England, he didn't leave voluntarily. The situation with his foot and the subsequent offers he is going to get at a later time in free agency is going to drive down his price. Whatever he was demanding from NE he will soon find out that a 31-year old injured CB isn't isn't going to get it.

He probably wouldn't sign for what I proposed now, but I wouldn't be shocked if, as the market dries up, that is what he ultimately will have to settle for which is a 'show me that you are healed' 1-year contract.

How ever much you try to negate the fact that Law can still play at a pro bowl level, you're still going to have to pay him top CB money no matter how long you wait after it's all said and done.

~ Some people just don't get it.

Gaz 03-16-2005 10:19 AM

I'll even throw in a slap in the face...

I would give him the lint from both of my pockets.

xoxo~
Gaz
Willing to overpay just a bit.

Wile_E_Coyote 03-16-2005 10:45 AM

Quote:

How ever much you try to negate the fact that Law can still play at a pro bowl level, you're still going to have to pay him top CB money no matter how long you wait after it's all said and done.

If October rolls around & he is still unsigned, I bet there will be a team with an injured CB that will show him the $$$ he wants

donkhater 03-16-2005 10:50 AM

Quote:

Al I'm saying is that is all I would offer the guy at this point. I highly doubt anyone is going to come in with a 8-figure signing bonus sometime in the summer to sign him.

I think $5-6 million for essentially a one-year contract is a very good contract. He's dreaming if he's looking for 7-8 million a year with $10 million plus to sign. There have been idiotic signings before I suppose.

wutamess 03-16-2005 10:54 AM

Quote:

Al I'm saying is that is all I would offer the guy at this point. I highly doubt anyone is going to come in with a 8-figure signing bonus sometime in the summer to sign him.

I think $5-6 million for essentially a one-year contract is a very good contract. He's dreaming if he's looking for 7-8 million a year with $10 million plus to sign. There have been idiotic signings before I suppose.

I'm thinking he's going to break the bank and get $10-$12 mill to sign. I'm thinking he'll get it from us also. Soon as he can start running in June I'm betting we'll probably be in a bidding war.

He'll get his money sooner or later.

~He'll get what he wants.

Chiefnj 03-16-2005 11:30 AM

Why would you want to put the Chiefs in a position where they must restructure next year? If Law is healthy why put him and the Poston's in the driver's seat?

Pants 03-16-2005 11:47 AM

Quote:

1) an average base contract in the range for starting CB's ($3-6 mil/year)

2) A signing bonus LESS than $10 million. Seeing as how he'll likely sign after June 1st, I figure he should ultimately get a signing bonus in the $4-5 million range

3) Roster bonus for next season of around $10 million. This would all but guarantee his release (if he doesn't recover) or restructuring if he is completly healed and plays well.(converting the roster bonus into a signing bonus on a 4-5 year contract).

Heh. Keep dreaming. This freaking Ty Law.

Dr. Johnny Fever 03-16-2005 12:41 PM

Quote:

...and THE point is made.......

:thumb: