ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Washington DC and The Holy Land (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   General Politics ven the Lefties are starting to see Elon Musk as an empty suit (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=316177)

HonestChieffan 07-11-2018 11:58 AM

ven the Lefties are starting to see Elon Musk as an empty suit
 
https://gizmodo.com/is-elon-musk-ser...ium=socialflow


Long read but pretty well lines it out.

BleedingRed 07-11-2018 12:00 PM

Well this whole thing is bullshit because the Lead Rescue guy has emails going back in forth with Elon asking him to continue work on it.

This PRIVATE CITIZEN directs his engineers to work 24/hrs a day building something that could have helped. Just because it wasn't used doesn't make his effort any less noble.

Eleazar 07-11-2018 12:09 PM

Ken Klippenstein

@kenklippenstein
I’m pretty critical of Elon Musk but one thing he’s indisputably good at is issuing viral humanitarian pledges that never really materialize



It’s hard to know exactly what Klippenstein’s statement about “humanitarian pledges” is referencing, but it might be Musk’s promise to rebuild Puerto Rico’s power grid. That’s another project that wasn’t as simple as Musk flying in to a disaster zone with some gadgets and fixing everything in a day.

But this point about building viral buzz around his ideas is a salient one. Musk is a new kind of showman, someone who commits himself to absurd but headline-grabbing goals on a regular basis. A couple years ago, the guy told a room full of experts that SpaceX would build a “self-sustaining city” on Mars in the 2020s. He even made a promo video for the “interplanetary transit system” that would send entire populations of people to the Red Planet in our lifetimes. Then you add other pie-in-the-sky projects like the Hyperloop connecting major American cities and the Boring Company putting highways underneath Los Angeles.

The press loves to cover these announcements, even when there is very little evidence that Musk can keep his techno-futuristic promises. Gizmodo is no exception. We breathlessly covered the saga of SpaceX, its reusable rockets, and drone barge. We flipped out, however skeptically, when he revealed his Hyperloop idea. We even took Musk seriously when he said he was going to go to Mars. At a certain point, however, Musk the showman stopped being cute and started seeming like the world’s most annoying bullshitter.

...

What’s most frustrating about Musk’s stunts is how everything feels a little bit like a grift. Like, every time, you have to wonder what Musk is really selling, and as time goes on, those sales pitches become more convoluted. The Mars thing was a great way to build publicity for SpaceX. The Hyperloop fiasco seems like some sort of weird ad for Tesla and the future of transportation. The Boring Company, complete with promotional flamethrowers, is a different version of a Tesla ad. But with this kid-sized submarine, it’s not immediately clear what Musk is shilling.

Perhaps, at long last, Musk is just advertising his own ego. Musk, the man who does things, is here to outdo himself, and lucky you get to be his audience. The kid-sized sub was never the point of this latest stunt. Musk just wanted to remind his fans that he’s the man who makes things happen, often with the help of technology, money, and bluster. Just like Tony Stark. Keep those fawning comparisons coming, too.

...

Fishpicker 07-11-2018 12:32 PM

I'm not a big fan of Musk but the MSM has had a hard on for him ever since he announced he was going to start a Pravda site.

MagicHef 07-11-2018 12:38 PM

Musk is a brilliant but eccentric guy who laser-focuses on issues until he solves them. Sometimes it results in drastic reductions in space travel costs, and sometimes it results in unused kid submarines. You get the good with the bad ("bad" here meaning absolutely no harm done to anyone).

Prison Bitch 07-11-2018 01:12 PM

Musk has been openly mocking lib intolerance on his Twatter feed, and now they're turning on him for it. Gizmodo is a left wing site


(You have to hold disHonestChiefsFan' hand on these things and connect the dots)

vailpass 07-11-2018 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BleedingRed (Post 13623725)
Well this whole thing is bullshit because the Lead Rescue guy has emails going back in forth with Elon asking him to continue work on it.

This PRIVATE CITIZEN directs his engineers to work 24/hrs a day building something that could have helped. Just because it wasn't used doesn't make his effort any less noble.

Yep.

Trolly McTrollson 07-11-2018 02:05 PM

I don’t remember him ever being a big lib hero. Isn’t he a libertarian?

-King- 07-11-2018 02:08 PM

Why do you post so much anti Musk/Tesla stuff?
Posted via Mobile Device

BucEyedPea 07-11-2018 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trolly McTrollson (Post 13624017)
I don’t remember him ever being a big lib hero. Isn’t he a libertarian?

He claims he's a socialist.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">By the way, I am actually a socialist. Just not the kind that shifts resources from most productive to least productive, pretending to do good, while actually causing harm. True socialism seeks greatest good for all.</p>&mdash; Elon Musk (@elonmusk) <a href="https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1008013111058526209?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 16, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

BucEyedPea 07-11-2018 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagicHef (Post 13623801)
Musk is a brilliant but eccentric guy who laser-focuses on issues until he solves them. Sometimes it results in drastic reductions in space travel costs, and sometimes it results in unused kid submarines. You get the good with the bad ("bad" here meaning absolutely no harm done to anyone).

He's a government sycophant who can't make it in the market on his own.

JohnnyV13 07-11-2018 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 13624079)
He's a government sycophant who can't make it in the market on his own.

I see why you say this, because Tesla and SpaceX business models wouldn't work without government incentives.

However, Musk made his billions from the success of Paypal. Thus, he very much succeeded in the market on his own..

Trolly McTrollson 07-11-2018 03:06 PM

SpaceX competes successfully for commercial launches as well as govt contracts.

chiefzilla1501 07-11-2018 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 13624079)
He's a government sycophant who can't make it in the market on his own.

What does "his own" mean? You mean in a government that blatantly rigs the market for oil monopolies and sabotages any effort to introduce alternatives? Any subsidies he's received is more than countered by government favors for products that run on oil and gas.

Ironic that he's escaping the US market and flocking to China where he can enjoy a freer market. China is about to annihilate us in the ebus market, and we're still finding reasons to block innovation.

BucEyedPea 07-11-2018 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyV13 (Post 13624114)
I see why you say this, because Tesla and SpaceX business models wouldn't work without government incentives.

That means they're unlikely to work at all. That's usually what govts subsidize.

Quote:

However, Musk made his billions from the success of Paypal. Thus, he very much succeeded in the market on his own..
Yeah, well Elon Musk did not start PayPal either. He made made billions off of it through merger— until he got the idea to drag the government into space travel, solar panels, and electric cars. You knew what kind of enterprises I was talking about. Instead of taking his own risks in the market, he fleeces the taxpayer for subsidies for these hi-risk projects that are not profitable on their own.

If he thinks colonizing other planets, space travel, solar panels and electric cars are profitable ideas then he should put up his own money.

Sorry, Elon Musk is now the ultimate crony capitalist operating in areas where he can't make it on his own in such markets.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:56 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.