ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life What is the value of an acre in your area? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268369)

El Jefe 01-02-2013 02:11 PM

What is the value of an acre in your area?

I am talking about rural land? I/my wife and I are looking to purchase some land and build a house. We would like to get 10 acres or so, but man the property value hasn't dwindled much in our area. It's a rural farm town area, but land is going for about 12-15k an acre. Whats your neck of the woods look like? I know north of our area you can get land for about 3k an acre, but its out in the boondocks. I don't want to drive an hour and a half one way to work.

ndws 01-02-2013 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Jefe (Post 9268896)
I am talking about rural land? I/my wife and I are looking to purchase some land and build a house. We would like to get 10 acres or so, but man the property value hasn't dwindled much in our area. It's a rural farm town area, but land is going for about 12-15k an acre. Whats your neck of the woods look like? I know north of our area you can get land for about 3k an acre, but its out in the boondocks. I don't want to drive an hour and a half one way to work.

Non tillable ground, eh...ballpark 2500/acre.

Tillable, if it yields decent could be up around 5000 or better, but no point in buying that to build a house. This is boondock area though, the closer you get to mulitple stop lights, the higher it gets.

htismaqe 01-02-2013 02:20 PM

Non-tillable here COULD go for around $3K, unless it's old-growth timber. Old-growth timber in this area is being purchased by hunters from out of state and it going for a lot more.

Tillable ground near the river might bring $15K or more.

Graystoke 01-02-2013 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9268942)
Non-tillable here COULD go for around $3K, unless it's old-growth timber. Old-growth timber in this area is being purchased by hunters from out of state and it going for a lot more.

Ya don't you hate that.
The days of bringing Farmers Treats, like a couple cases of beer, A Cabela's Gift Card and some Deer Sausage, for appreciation of letting you hunt their timber is OVER!

The Fib-Tabs have taken over in Iowa.

****ing Illinois Bastards-Towing another Boat

RockChalk 01-02-2013 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9268942)

Tillable ground near the river might bring $15K or more.

I was in a wedding this weekend and some boys from Iowa were part of the bridal party. They were telling me tillable land up there was going for pretty outrageous prices.

htismaqe 01-02-2013 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockChalk (Post 9268971)
I was in a wedding this weekend and some boys from Iowa were part of the bridal party. They were telling me tillable land up there was going for pretty outrageous prices.

We live on the north side of the Des Moines river basin, in the Skunk River basin.

Some of the tillable here is going for well over $20K if it EVER changes hands.

EDIT: The only land worth more is farmland that happens to be in the metro growth areas north and west of Des Moines.

tooge 01-02-2013 02:31 PM

Within an hour of town, you can find it around 3-4K per acre for non ag. land. Land in my neck of the woods is now 15-17K per acre.

Donger 01-02-2013 02:31 PM

About $300K

BWillie 01-02-2013 02:31 PM

Never understood why land in the middle of no where is so valuable. My dad bought a farm in the Loess Hills area ten years ago and it has at least doubled it's value since then. Only thing that was done to it was a stream and little pond put in with the help of public funding.

Iowanian 01-02-2013 02:32 PM

Any time you purchase a 40 you pay a premium. When you're looking acreage size, you're going to pay out the nose and that rate is not going to reflect the price of an acre of ag land.

Hoover 01-02-2013 02:35 PM

$21,900 per acre in rural NW Iowa.

http://siouxcityjournal.com/news/loc...491578da0.html

htismaqe 01-02-2013 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iowanian (Post 9268987)
Any time you purchase a 40 you pay a premium. When you're looking acreage size, you're going to pay out the nose and that rate is not going to reflect the price of an acre of ag land.

Yep. The smaller the parcel, the more premium per acre.

RockChalk 01-02-2013 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9268977)
We live on the north side of the Des Moines river basin, in the Skunk River basin.

Some of the tillable here is going for well over $20K if it EVER changes hands.

EDIT: The only land worth more is farmland that happens to be in the metro growth areas north and west of Des Moines.

Ballpark figure on what the farmland is going for per acre?

Hoover 01-02-2013 02:37 PM

The Iowa State University Extension Land Value Survey last year estimated the average farmland value in 2011 was $6,708 per acre, up 32.5 percent from 2010.

htismaqe 01-02-2013 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockChalk (Post 9269009)
Ballpark figure on what the farmland is going for per acre?

The only land sale I have been completely privy to lately was mostly hardwood timber and ditches, plus an abandoned coal mine. Crap ground really, unless you're a hunter. 7 acres went for $100K.