ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Red Dawn Remake--WTF? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=260205)

BillSelfsTrophycase 06-05-2012 07:34 PM

IIRC in the original, they came up through Mexico and split the country in half

I doubt they could even get into Mexico unnoticed, but that's slightly more feasable

notorious 06-05-2012 07:35 PM

Maybe if North Korea managed to nuke every major city and government office simultaniously they could put up a fight.

Cornstock 06-05-2012 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 8661075)
No Navy, barely any air power.

Besides, if we counted up our "reserve army" in the US it would probably be around 40 million heavily armed citizens.

This. Conservative estimates. (pun intended)

Cornstock 06-05-2012 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillSelfsTrophycase (Post 8660983)
With absolutely zero means to get them here. Our airforce would have 95% of that invasion force dead before lunch

They plan on marching them here Mao Tse-tung style, recruiting along the way.

notorious 06-05-2012 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cornstock (Post 8661121)
This. Conservative estimates. (pun intended)

Clever. How's that going for you?

:D

splatbass 06-05-2012 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillSelfsTrophycase (Post 8660983)
With absolutely zero means to get them here. Our airforce would have 95% of that invasion force dead before lunch

The same would have been true of the Soviet Union in the original movie. If you bought into the original premise you should have no trouble with this one. Movies aren't real, but gullible people are. The original movie was entertaining, but fantasy. It was no more realistic than the new movie.

splatbass 06-05-2012 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillSelfsTrophycase (Post 8661083)
IIRC in the original, they came up through Mexico and split the country in half

I doubt they could even get into Mexico unnoticed, but that's slightly more feasable

No, it isn't. But people wanted a "rah rah, America is the best!!!!" movie in the 80s so they bought into it.

splatbass 06-05-2012 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 8661090)
Maybe if North Korea managed to nuke every major city and government office simultaniously they could put up a fight.

I spend several months a year in South Korea (just returned Saturday). Take North Korea seriously, they are a threat. They may not be a threat to invade the US (the Soviet Union wasn't either), but trust me, they are a threat.

notorious 06-05-2012 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by splatbass (Post 8661192)
I spend several months a year in South Korea (just returned Saturday). Take North Korea seriously, they are a threat. They may not be a threat to invade the US (the Soviet Union wasn't either), but trust me, they are a threat.

I agree 100%.

They just don't have the capacity to do it in a Red Dawn scenario.

notorious 06-05-2012 08:11 PM

Are the bad guys going to drop food on a highway to spring a trap, instead of just poisoning the food?

BillSelfsTrophycase 06-05-2012 08:16 PM

Well yeah, NO country is a real threat to invade the U.S., but among the list of candidates NK's pretty close to the bottom

Brock 06-05-2012 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by splatbass (Post 8661192)

They're a threat to South Korea. For about a week.

Munson 06-05-2012 08:29 PM

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...boo9fTls9Io1wA

Wolverines!

splatbass 06-05-2012 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 8661236)
They're a threat to South Korea. For about a week.

We can hope our technology can overcome their millions of troops. I hope to never see if you are right, especially since there is about a 30% chance I would be there when it happens (since I spend about 30% of my year there).

Unfortunately, they are also a threat to the US, both militarily and economically. Thankfully there are people who understand this and do their part to prevent it. You are welcome.

Brock 06-05-2012 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by splatbass (Post 8661318)
We can hope our technology can overcome their millions of troops. I hope to never see if you are right, especially since there is about a 30% chance I would be there when it happens (since I spend about 30% of my year there).

Unfortunately, they are also a threat to the US, both militarily and economically. Thankfully there are people who understand this and do their part to prevent it. You are welcome.

I hope to never find out either, but they're not a significant threat to the US. Glad to hear you believe in your mission.