ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Movies and TV Another Reason To Hate ESPN (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=271144)

listopencil 03-14-2013 02:56 PM

Another Reason To Hate ESPN

ESPN Suspends Bill Simmons From Twitter After First Take Criticism

Apparently Bill Simmons is not beyond reproach.

ESPN has suspended Simmons from Twitter for a few days after he called the Skip Bayless-Richard Sherman First Take meltdown last week awful and embarrassing. An ESPN source told me that the tweets violated ESPN's social media guidelines; Simmons was told to lie low for a few days. He hasn't tweeted since Tuesday Monday, and he'll apparently be allowed to return to Twitter tomorrow, making it a three-day hiatus. An ESPN spokesman declined comment, and Simmons didn't respond to an email.

Here are two tweets that got him into trouble. "Nobody won," he wrote. "Everyone lost. Including ESPN." Big words, and the tweets felt like a flashpoint for a show that's used to withering criticism, but not from ESPN's own—and certainly not from Simmons, one of the most powerful guys at the network.

But ESPN wouldn't be ESPN if it didn't punish a guy for being inconveniently correct. (Well, mostly. Sherman won. Bayless and First Take lost. Which means we won, too.) A few eagle-eyed readers emailed us to say that something seemed off. Simmons did not tweet out anything yesterday, nor did he tweet on Tuesday. Today, he was quiet again, except for a retweeted link from Grantland. This is not normal. He tweeted every single day in February, January, December, and November, skipping out on Twitter just once, on Feb. 7. SportsCenter could make a little graph showing just how prolific he is. Though Simmons has stayed off Twitter, he has certainly been keeping up with Facebook, posting about Wes Welker, a story he wrote, a blog post written about him, and a video of his dog.

Simmons was expected to make a trip out to New York this week for a sort of Grantland East brainstorming session, but he backed out over the weekend, we're told. He also didn't appear on NBA Countdown last night, though that was apparently previously scheduled.

Simmons has run into trouble with ESPN's Twitter police before. In 2009, he called a Boston Radio network—and an ESPN Radio affiliate—"deceitful scumbags" on Twitter, and he got a two week suspension from using it. He was on the tail end of a book tour then, so he was still "allowed" to tweet about the book, just as he was apparently allowed to retweet a Grantland link today. Know more? Email me.

http://deadspin.com/espn-suspends-bi...ium=socialflow

Stewie 03-14-2013 02:57 PM

meh. It's ESPN. Who gives a shit?

OrtonsPiercedTaint 03-14-2013 02:57 PM

Sean Salisbury is outraged

Halfcan 03-14-2013 02:58 PM

ray lewis will give them a Pep talk and fix dis shit.

Rasputin 03-14-2013 03:00 PM

People watch First Take and Skip Bayless because they hate Skip Bayless and want to gripe about anything he says. ESPN gets ratings for what ever good or bad happens on the show.

No one really should give a **** but they do.

chefsos 03-14-2013 03:04 PM

I'm kind of hoping Simmons and Grantland get big enough someday for him to tell ESPN to **** themselves repeatedly.

Tribal Warfare 03-14-2013 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrtonsPiercedTaint (Post 9498400)
Sean Salisbury is outraged

I guess Simmons dick pics were more out of focus.

durtyrute 03-14-2013 03:11 PM

He was suspended from twitter? What kind of ****ing world do we live in?

saphojunkie 03-14-2013 03:15 PM

No word if he's also been suspended from his cell phone, the internet, iPad, or PS3, although sources did confirm that he went straight to his room after dinner.

Frazod 03-14-2013 03:15 PM

I honestly can't remember the last time I even turned ESPrickN on. This time of year is a big black pit for me since I don't like hockey or basketball. I assume I'll start watching it again when baseball season starts, but only games or game highlights.

listopencil 03-14-2013 03:19 PM

I only see it at work when I'm walking through the break room. They have a cable feed set up. A million channels of shit available and, for some reason, people pick ESPN or FOX News. Pretty sad.

KC_Connection 03-14-2013 03:22 PM

I noticed him making those tweets at the time. And yeah, not surprised they would suspend him at all for it. Sending a message that he's not bigger than the company.

blaise 03-14-2013 03:26 PM

So, they punished him for being interesting on twitter. There's no reason to follow most of the people at ESPN. They're just boring for the most part.

blaise 03-14-2013 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9498496)
I honestly can't remember the last time I even turned ESPrickN on. This time of year is a big black pit for me since I don't like hockey or basketball. I assume I'll start watching it again when baseball season starts, but only games or game highlights.

Really just games for me. I switch over to the MLB network for highlights and post game. Not that I really like their analysts, but they do a lot of that live-look-in stuff.

KC Hawks 03-14-2013 03:33 PM

Was wondering why he didn't tweet about Welker.