ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Disappointed in McCluster (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=234951)

Hammock Parties 10-10-2010 08:41 PM

Disappointed in McCluster

Bla bla bla, he's a playmaker, he has two touchdowns already, whatever.

He has seven catches for 93 yards. 1/3 of that yardage came on one play. At least two of those are screen passes I believe.

That ****ing sucks.

This guy needs to be a threat as a WIDE RECEIVER. He hasnt made a single play down the field. I'm not even talking 20 yards. How about 10? How about coming off the line, putting your foot in the ground, getting open and giving Cassel a target?

I'm not willing to accept the idea that Cassel is so god awful he makes all our wide receivers look terrible.

McCluster hasn't done shit yet. And he was utter garbage in Indy.

Don't buy any of his ****ing t-shirts.

RealSNR 10-10-2010 08:42 PM

For some reason Cassel thought he was a decent 3rd down option today. Makes no sense to me.

The Bad Guy 10-10-2010 08:44 PM

He looked insanely slow in the return game today.

RustShack 10-10-2010 08:44 PM

Cassel stares down one WR, and 95% of the time its not one thats more than 10 yards past the line of scrimmage.

Marcellus 10-10-2010 08:47 PM

Let's make up our mind. Is it McCluster or the the QB Play? Is it the receivers or the QB?

You can't have it both ways.

OnTheWarpath15 10-10-2010 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 7078649)

That's going to happen when no one opens giant holes for you.

There were returns today when Dex didn't even have a two-man wedge in front of him - guys were just scattering everywhere.

jspchief 10-10-2010 08:48 PM

Quote:

Yea, I found myself wanting Arenas fielding those returns.

Maybe McCluster is more explosive, but Arenas has been a lot more consistent on his returns.

Mama Hip Rockets 10-10-2010 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoChiefs (Post 7078635)
I'm not willing to accept the idea that Cassel is so god awful he makes all our wide receivers look terrible.

That is a dumb thing to say.

jspchief 10-10-2010 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 7078658)
Let's make up our mind. Is it McCluster or the the QB Play? Is it the receivers or the QB?

You can't have it both ways.

Why? Because it's only possible for a single aspect of the game to go wrong in a loss?

BigMeatballDave 10-10-2010 08:49 PM

Quote:

Maybe you should. I have. Riddle me this, Batman; How did Bowe catch 86 in his second season? This is how 'God awful' our QB is.

Hammock Parties 10-10-2010 08:52 PM

Chambers came in and didn't look like complete dogshit last year.

It's not even a matter of McCluster producing immediately. It's a matter of him showing he can actually do something as a wide receiver.

He has literally shown NOTHING of significance. He just catches shit out of the backfield.

RustShack 10-10-2010 08:53 PM

I'm sure its just a coincidence that Bowe got a lot worse when we acquired Cassel.

LMAO

Marcellus 10-10-2010 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief (Post 7078667)
Why? Because it's only possible for a single aspect of the game to go wrong in a loss?

The OP is about being disappointed in McCluster as a receiver. There are 1 Million post about Cassel sucking as a QB.

What part do you not get?

BossChief 10-10-2010 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief (Post 7078663)
Yea, I found myself wanting Arenas fielding those returns.

Maybe McCluster is more explosive, but Arenas has been a lot more consistent on his returns.

Arenas was on the field for almost every defensive snap. I bet they went into the game expecting DMC to get all the returns so Arenas could focus on his defensive responsibilities.

He was VERY good in coverage today BTW (Arenas obviously)

Bowser 10-10-2010 08:54 PM

I feel like I'm in bizzaro world, and this is another Berry thread. But not.

BossChief 10-10-2010 08:55 PM

Dude, if you dont at least try to stretch the field, you can put Wes Welker himself on this offense and he would have a hard time getting open because everyone in coverage is playing it short.

OnTheWarpath15 10-10-2010 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCD (Post 7078669)
Maybe you should. I have. Riddle me this, Batman; How did Bowe catch 86 in his second season? This is how 'God awful' our QB is.

Partly because he was targeted 157 times. Most teams throw their WR1 the ball.

He's going to be lucky to be targeted that many times in 2009/2010 COMBINED.

milkman 10-10-2010 08:55 PM

The reality is that receicvers in their first year rarely make an impact.

It usually takes a season for them to start to get it, and McCluster is transitioning back to receiver after being converted from WR to RB in college, so expecting him to come into the league and make an immediate splash is a bit unrealistic.

Valiant 10-10-2010 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 7078686)
The OP is about being disappointed in McCluster as a receiver. There are 1 Million post about Cassel sucking as a QB.

And then you countered saying it is either QB or WR, choose??

He is saying it is both..

Hammock Parties 10-10-2010 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RustShack (Post 7078681)
I'm sure its just a coincidence that Bowe got a lot worse when we acquired Cassel.

LMAO

Bowe caught 4.3 balls per game last year. That's not THAT far off his career average.

Hell, it'd be something just to see Cassel overthrew McCluster after he had toasted a defensive back. That would at least prove he can, you know, fill his job description as a wide receiver?

Nada.

Three7s 10-10-2010 08:57 PM

The whole offense was shit today, not just McCluster.

KCBOSS1 10-10-2010 08:58 PM

The deal is that he looks like no leader (Cassel), he has a lame arm and looks like he feels like a back up quarterback all of the time. I can't believe we are under this contract with this guy. We do need another receiver besides bowe. He hasn't played well, but he doesn't have confidence in Cassel to get the ball to him anyway. That was a terrible drop today. Check out how McNabb makes all of his receivers look like pro bowlers. He's the leader. Cassel does look like he has the confidence of any of the other players.

KCBOSS1 10-10-2010 08:58 PM

He will have competition next year.

DeezNutz 10-10-2010 08:59 PM

I'm confused because I thought we proclaimed our second round to be a ****ing HR after game one? Now, after our fourth game, we're worried?

Reactionary much?

OnTheWarpath15 10-10-2010 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 7078710)
I'm confused because I thought we proclaimed our second round to be a ****ing HR after game one? Now, after our fourth game, we're worried?

Reactionary much?

LMAO

jspchief 10-10-2010 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 7078686)

The part I don't get is the part where you seem to think it has to be one or the other, and can't be a combination two or more things.

This isn't a fucking SAT question, where there is only 1 right answer.

Let me try to rephrase the question so the simple people can play too. Sorry, there's no Crayola font, so try to keep up....

We all know that Castle sucks enough to bring down his teammates, but Moeaki has shown that it's still possible to at least be noticeable as a receiver. It's disappointing that McCluster hasn't shown the same ability yet.

Bowser 10-10-2010 09:00 PM

Quote:

Reactionary much?

"It's a process"

RealSNR 10-10-2010 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoChiefs (Post 7078697)
Bowe caught 4.3 balls per game last year. That's not THAT far off his career average.

Hell, it'd be something just to see Cassel overthrew McCluster after he had toasted a defensive back. That would at least prove he can, you know, fill his job description as a wide receiver?

Nada.

I thought his job was to be Wes Welker on this offense?

RustShack 10-10-2010 09:01 PM

We will never see McCluster get a downfield pass unless its drawn up and hes the go to guy. He could be open down the field, but never gets its thrown that way because Cassel doesn't go through his progressions. Also, you need a WR who can stretch the field for WR's like McCluster to be successful. Even if we were to find that WR who can stretch the field, we don't have a QB who can and hit that receiver.

TheGuardian 10-10-2010 09:02 PM

Quote:

Bla bla bla, he's a playmaker, he has two touchdowns already, whatever.

He has seven catches for 93 yards. 1/3 of that yardage came on one play. At least two of those are screen passes I believe.

That ****ing sucks.

This guy needs to be a threat as a WIDE RECEIVER. He hasnt made a single play down the field. I'm not even talking 20 yards. How about 10? How about coming off the line, putting your foot in the ground, getting open and giving Cassel a target?

McCluster hasn't done shit yet. And he was utter garbage in Indy.

Don't buy any of his ****ing t-shirts.

You're writing this after his 4th game of his rookie year?

It's like you ****ers never learn.

QuikSsurfer 10-10-2010 09:02 PM

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f8...fs/2e1a8zn.gif

Marcellus 10-10-2010 09:02 PM

Quote:

Reactionary much?

I think everyone is being too reactionary to this loss period.

We still will probably only win 9 games or so which is better than expected for the most part.

The fast start and good defense has changed the expectations a bit early.

Hammock Parties 10-10-2010 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RustShack (Post 7078723)
Cassel doesn't go through his progressions.

Bullshit. He would be benched.

DeezNutz 10-10-2010 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 7078719)
"It's a process"

Euphemism, apparently, for fans pissing down their legs with fright.

He's awesome! He sucks! He's awesome! He sucks!

Keep picking that daisy, boys. Let me know how that last petal fairs.

tk13 10-10-2010 09:04 PM

Plus the fact our WR's don't have many catches to begin with. Bowe is on pace for 28 receptions this year. Chambers - 20. That's an even bigger problem at this point.

DeezNutz 10-10-2010 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 7078730)
I think everyone is being too reactionary to this loss period.

We still will probably only win 9 games or so which is better than expected for the most part.

The fast start and good defense has changed the expectations a bit early.

My stance in the off-season was 8-8 or GTFO. I think we'll do this, at least, so put me steadfastly in the "progress" camp, and I'm not going to piss myself b/c we lost on the road in IND.

That said, it's disappointing, yet oddly encouraging, because we should have won the sonofabitch.

dirk digler 10-10-2010 09:05 PM

Cassel completed 16 passes, 2 of which went to Dex one was when he was in the slot IIRC. He caught everything thrown to him unlike other players that remain nameless

Hammock Parties 10-10-2010 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGuardian (Post 7078726)
You're writing this after his 4th game of his rookie year?

It's like you ****ers never learn.

Why does that matter?

I'm not asking for much. I'm asking for a glimpse or two.

Not a punt return. Not a ****ing swing pass.

A ****ing wide receiver play.

The fact he hasn't made one is disappointing. That's all I'm saying. Hard to argue, don't you think?

RustShack 10-10-2010 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoChiefs (Post 7078732)

I bet Manning wishes he could do it like Cassel and not even have to look at them then. I wonder why it is if he doesn't stare down the WR he plans on throwing it to before its snapped, then why doesn't he ever hit another guy that gets open?

Not that they are always getting open, but it does happen.

kysirsoze 10-10-2010 09:06 PM

THIS.

THREAD.

SUCKS.

jspchief 10-10-2010 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 7078738)
Plus the fact our WR's don't have many catches to begin with. Bowe is on pace for 28 receptions this year. Chambers - 20. That's an even bigger problem at this point.

Honestly, I think this says it all. This team is not throwing the ball downfield, period.

dirk digler 10-10-2010 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 7078738)

This is pretty much it.

Can't make chicken salad out of Cassel shit.

Marcellus 10-10-2010 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 7078741)
My stance in the off-season was 8-8 or GTFO. I think we'll do this, at least, so put my steadfastly in the "progress" camp, and I'm not going to piss myself b/c we lost on the road in IND.

That said, it's disappointing, yet oddly encouraging, that we should have won the sonofabitch.

I think that sums it up.

Silock 10-10-2010 09:07 PM

Quote:

Your perception doesn't affect reality. :D

But seriously, it's a combination of both. Yes, he needs to be better, but he's only a rookie. He's played 4 NFL games to this point. I think a little slack is allowed at this point, especially when his situation is compounded by the fact that Cassel sucks.

Good QBs elevate the play of people around them. Cassel can't do that.

milkman 10-10-2010 09:07 PM

I sai it earlier.

The loss today doesn't bother me.

It just pisses me off that we're stuck with Cassel.

DeezNutz 10-10-2010 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirk digler (Post 7078752)
Can't make chicken salad out of Cassel shit.

This, sadly, cannot bump the badgirl quotation, but it really should be someone's sig.

kysirsoze 10-10-2010 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoChiefs (Post 7078732)

Counting on the Chiefs benching Cassel due to performance is an idiotic argument. THEY WON'T DO IT. Simple as that. I feel sure Weis would do it if he had the go ahead.

Silock 10-10-2010 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoChiefs (Post 7078697)

Nada.

Do we know for a fact that DMC has been getting those playcalls?

OnTheWarpath15 10-10-2010 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 7078755)
I sai it earlier.

The loss today doesn't bother me.

It just pisses me off that we're stuck with Cassel.

This loss bothers me BECAUSE we're stuck with Cassel.

Sadly, I see more games like this in our future - games we'd win with even average QB play, but lose instead.

Hammock Parties 10-10-2010 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 7078761)
Do we know for a fact that DMC has been getting those playcalls?

He's in the slot all the time, playing as a wide receiver, running routes, going down the field.

How about getting open and making a play?

Marcellus 10-10-2010 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 7078766)
This loss bothers me BECAUSE we're stuck with Cassel.

Sadly, I see more games like this in our future - games we'd win with even average QB play, but lose instead.

Well I have to stick to what I have said in the past, win big or go home. I don't want Cassel wining just enough to keep his job.

Silock 10-10-2010 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirk digler (Post 7078742)
Cassel completed 16 passes, 2 of which went to Dex one was when he was in the slot IIRC. He caught everything thrown to him unlike other players that remain nameless

Wasn't he the target one the 3rd down overthrow following the 2 Bowe drops?

Or was that Charles?

DeezNutz 10-10-2010 09:12 PM

GoChiefs, are you going to .gif up the wobble duck that was overthrown to a wide open Bowe in the endzone?

OnTheWarpath15 10-10-2010 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 7078775)
Well I have to stick to what I have said in the past, win big or go home. I don't want Cassel wining just enough to keep his job.

That's the thing:

Cassel hasn't won a single game this year, IMO.

We've won in spite of him, not because of him.

Something tells me that the Executive of the Decade and his Right 53 mantra doesn't see it that way.

RustShack 10-10-2010 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoChiefs (Post 7078774)
He's in the slot all the time, playing as a wide receiver, running routes, going down the field.

Maybe you just answered your own question?

"going down the field"

Our starting QB doesn't throw down the field.

Marcellus 10-10-2010 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 7078782)
That's the thing:

Something tells me that the Executive of the Decade and his Right 53 mantra doesn't see it that way.

I think they know why we have won or lost.

Hammock Parties 10-10-2010 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 7078780)
GoChiefs, are you going to .gif up the wobble duck that was overthrown to a wide open Bowe in the endzone?

Probably not. Just a wobbly overthrown pass. Not much to write home about.

Silock 10-10-2010 09:14 PM

Quote:

I haven't been paying attention to this specific circumstance because I wasn't worried about it.

But, can you point out a few plays where DMC wasn't doing enough to get open and Cassel actually made it through his progression to get to him?

I just haven't seen that.

I'm with you that he is lacking in production, but IMO, there are far bigger fish to fry on this... like every other WR on the team.

dirk digler 10-10-2010 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 7078776)
Wasn't he the target one the 3rd down overthrow following the 2 Bowe drops?

Or was that Charles?

Yep you are right I thought that was Charles. Cassel also threw to him for a incomplete pass at the first part of the 4th quarter.

DeezNutz 10-10-2010 09:15 PM

Just remember these threads, boys, when Cassel has a breakout game and posts an 85 QB rating and we have threads calling out the "Cassel haters."

Bowe catches that ball and we'd have those threads right now. "Matty led (lead, in CP vernacular) to a road win in IND and you idiots still hatz him??111"

Hammock Parties 10-10-2010 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RustShack (Post 7078788)
Maybe you just answered your own question?

"going down the field"

Our starting QB doesn't throw down the field.

I already qualified that.

Not looking for a ****ing bomb.

How about a nice 10-yard out?

milkman 10-10-2010 09:15 PM

Quote:

How do you expect him to get open when no one respects the deep ball?

It's like a damn obstacle course within ten yards of the LOS.

The Bad Guy 10-10-2010 09:15 PM

Quote:

Yes, I'm sure a Parcells guy wears rose colored glasses all the time.

You act like Pioli gave himself these awards as well.

kysirsoze 10-10-2010 09:15 PM

Quote:

That's the thing:

This is my final hurdle for having full approval of Pioli. If Matt Cassel is still the starting QB next year, I will have little to no faith in him.

DeezNutz 10-10-2010 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoChiefs (Post 7078793)
Probably not. Just a wobbly overthrown pass. Not much to write home about.

It was the subject of quite a few exchanges in the chat room. That's why, and it's an appropriate microcosm of his suck.

morphius 10-10-2010 09:16 PM

Quote:

Our kickoff return game went to crap as soon as the coaches outsmarted themselves by putting both returners out there. Neither one helps the other one with their blocking ability.

Hammock Parties 10-10-2010 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 7078794)
But, can you point out a few plays where DMC wasn't doing enough to get open and Cassel actually made it through his progression to get to him?

That's impossible to point out.

All I know is he hasn't done shit as a wide receiver, and he's out there in the slot, a LOT. That's disappointing. Especially considering his draft position.

Simple.

dirk digler 10-10-2010 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 7078798)

LMAO Perfect

Marcellus 10-10-2010 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoChiefs (Post 7078797)

You mean like the baddass catch he made that was nullified by the BS holding call on Albert?

QuikSsurfer 10-10-2010 09:19 PM

I'm pretty sure that DMC has caught everything thrown his way... I remember one drop on a bubble screen but that's it.
We really don't need to worry about this player.

Did no one see his great sideline catch today that was wiped out (thanks B Albert)?
He has exceeded expectations in the first quarter of the season, IMO.

Holden 10-10-2010 09:19 PM

Let's not forget McClusters 3rd down tight rope catch on the sideline that got called back. That was pretty clutch despite the hold.

dirk digler 10-10-2010 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoChiefs (Post 7078807)

All I know is he hasn't done shit as a wide receiver, and he's out there in the slot, a LOT. That's disappointing. Especially considering his draft position.

Simple.

McCluster is 2 pass receptions behind our supposedly #1 WR.

RustShack 10-10-2010 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoChiefs (Post 7078807)

Simple.

You mean as a second rounder who played RB in college? Our third option at WR isn't playing like a seasoned first WR by his fourth game!?

tk13 10-10-2010 09:21 PM

Quote:

That's the thing:

You really don't believe that, do you? You act like these guys are Carl and Herm. You're talking about a front office and coaching staff that over the last 20 years has a pretty good record of working with big armed pocket QB's. Brady, Bledsoe, Testeverde, and Warner included in their various stops.

You can really sit there with a straight face and think that Haley and Weis and Pioli think Cassel is even doing what Vinny did with the Jets?

-King- 10-10-2010 09:22 PM

LMAO This is hilarious. You say that a qb sucks.....then turn around and blame the receiver for not being productive? Really?
Posted via Mobile Device

Marcellus 10-10-2010 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoChiefs (Post 7078797)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 7078810)
You mean like the baddass catch he made that was nullified by the BS holding call on Albert?

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuikSsurfer (Post 7078815)
I'm pretty sure that DMC has caught everything thrown his way... I remember one drop on a bubble screen but that's it.
We really don't need to worry about this player.

Did no one see his great sideline catch today that was wiped out (thanks B Albert)?
He has exceeded expectations in the first quarter of the season, IMO.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holden (Post 7078817)
Let's not forget McClusters 3rd down tight rope catch on the sideline that got called back. That was pretty clutch despite the hold.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirk digler (Post 7078818)
McCluster is 2 pass receptions behind our supposedly #1 WR.

Thread over.

DeezNutz 10-10-2010 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 7078827)
You can really sit there with a straight face and think that Haley and Weis and Pioli think Cassel is even doing what Vinny did with the Jets?

I would assume not.

I would state this more confidently if we hadn't made so many moves last off-season to accommodate Cassel, when it should have been sufficiently clear then that he wasn't the answer.

Hell, it should have been clear to Pioli before he arrived in KC, but I digress.

Hammock Parties 10-10-2010 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 7078798)

Beats me. He should smoke whatever Moeaki's smoking.

morphius 10-10-2010 09:27 PM

Quote:

You really don't believe that, do you? You act like these guys are Carl and Herm. You're talking about a front office and coaching staff that over the last 20 years has a pretty good record of working with big armed pocket QB's. Brady, Bledsoe, Testeverde, and Warner included in their various stops.

Sometimes you take a gamble on a QB and you win, sometimes you lose. I can't remember anyone from the front office come out and start talking about Cassel is playing at a probowl level. And yes, we do understand that without the people he trusted for his first draft Pioli did a terrible job, shocked I am...

OnTheWarpath15 10-10-2010 09:29 PM

Quote:

When a guy that throws 4 INT's in a game tells the media he graded out with no errors, I have no reason to think otherwise.

This regime refuses to say anything remotely negative about the guy, while having no problem holding other players accountable. What has Cassel done to deserve that?

So until they sit his ass on the bench, or cut his ass, I don't see my opinion changing on this.

hold EVERYONE