ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Computers Microsoft to Unveil 7-inch Xbox Surface Tablet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=260625)

AustinChief 06-19-2012 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pittsie (Post 8688820)
Yeah, because M$ is a consumer electronics juggernaut! ;)

http://s3-ak.buzzfed.com/static/imag...7655858-12.gif

MS holds around 80-85% of the consumer OS market. (corporate is 90-95%)

QuikSsurfer 06-19-2012 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 8689030)
yeah, I thought of putting "the WHITE one" , but I didn't want to paint all apple people as racists... :D

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f8...fs/1zpjgx0.gif

Kidd Lex 06-19-2012 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 8688151)
Maybe my time in the office is in the stoneage, but I'm not real sure exactly how big corporate demand is. AFAIC the standard office monkey will still be using a PC with a large or dual monitor. I don't think it will replace a PC.

I recognize that executive types will eat them up like candy. Anybody that is even a little bit mobile is probably in too. I can also see some production type applications. I guess service type businesses would be all over them like stink on shit too.

That is a pretty significant market that could be served if a good product was out there, but some of them are already using Ipads.

The other side of getting larger corporations to adopt them is security. When I left Cabela's, there were only a couple people that could even get emails sent to their phone.

There is a HUGE demand for tablets in the corporate world. Every retailer wants them, marketers, restaurants, car dealerships, etc...

The day is coming when you go into a vehicle repair shop and they scan your car in at the parking lot and then you use their touch pad there to tell them what you want repaired/maintained, etc...much less hassle.

The cash register is on the way out... Think of all the people that travel for work regionally and nationally, what a pain in the ass it is to lug around a laptop, not to mention start up times, battery life limitations, etc...

Everything corporate is going to the tablets sooner or later imho.

I was talking to our CEO (Bridgestone Retail Operations) and he mentioned a restaurant he frequents that moved their wine lists from paper to tablet. Theyd move the tablet from table to table as requested by the patrons as it included full color maps and the history of each bottle of wine they carried. Almost immediately wine sales went up 600%. They have one at each table now.

Mr. Plow 06-19-2012 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuikSsurfer (Post 8689060)

LMAO

ILChief 06-19-2012 06:23 PM

This is the link I meant to post before:

http://www.neowin.net/news/ipad-acco...et-web-traffic

DaveNull 06-19-2012 07:09 PM

Those statistics are clearly skewed towards people who actually use their tablets and should probably be ignored.

ILChief 06-19-2012 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveNull (Post 8689398)
Those statistics are clearly skewed towards people who actually use their tablets and should probably be ignored.

lol

AustinChief 06-19-2012 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILChief (Post 8689296)
This is the link I meant to post before:

http://www.neowin.net/news/ipad-acco...et-web-traffic

HAHAHA.. That is seriously bad data.

#1 The Chitika Online Advertising Network?? HUH?
#2 This is based on USER-AGENT data, which doesn't account for .. well EVERYTHING It's completely unreliable. For example, I use Dolphin on my android tablet and Chrome on my windows tablet. Both of those wouldn't count in their data, they show up as desktop browsers. Let's say I use the default browser on my android devices... it still will show up in a million different ways. iPad and iPhone have ONE user-agent string to look for each. A single Samsung tablet could have up to 20 different user-agent strings based on version. It's obvious that they didn't take this into account. Unless of course the sales figures are all wrong OR Android tablet owners just don't surf the same websites that Apple users do.

For example.. a more reliable (but still questionable since I don't have access to the raw data) report...

http://www.redorbit.com/news/technol...-tablet-users/

Quote:

Indeed, iPad ownership surpassed that of Android tablets in 2011 — 72 percent to 32 percent. But this year those figures have evened out, at 52 percent vs. 51 percent, with most of Android’s boost coming from the Kindle Fire, which is by far the most popular “Android” tablet, accounting for 28 percent of all Android tablet sales.

ChiefsCountry 06-20-2012 12:09 AM

Sweet I will consider getting a tablet now. No ****ing way would I buy an Apple. Ipod is about it, other than running quicktime on the computer.

DaveNull 06-20-2012 06:28 AM

<i>Tablets are not meant to replace PCs. People aren't buying tablets so they can throw away their desktops. It's meant to be a highly mobile consumption device that can perform some limited PC functionality in a pinch. And the people higher up in enterprise environments are eating them up, despite the fact that most don't have a clear definitive use for it.</i>

Not necessarily but for tons of people they really do. The higher up in the food chain you go, the more time you spend doing things like writing memos, sending email and going to meetings. In many instances you're traveling for those meetings. Get on an airplane and look around. If you travel more than twice a year, then an iPad is a LOT better than lugging around some crap laptop.

<i>Security is certainly an issue with them though. Tablets and smartphones have piss poor security.</i>

Uh huh. Right. Show me the major exploits that are out there in the wild that are actively being used by attackers to penetrate the enterprise for iOS or Android. That's one area where this Windows tablet falls right on it's ass. It still runs Windows, Java (and all those lovely pwnable legacy versions that are impossible to get rid of), Flash and Acrobat.

I suppose this tablet would be great to push inside the enterprise if:

- You peddle snake oil anti-virus software
- You sell products to manage patches on Windows machines
- You've worked your way up to middle management in IT and have a small empire of help desk personnel and support staff with a huge budget that is spent only to keep technology running instead of making business more efficient
- You're a software sales rep on commission

Seriously ponder that last part for a second. The iPad is extremely cheap to deploy and really opens up the possibility for companies to decrease their software licenses through virtualization of Windows. Unless the Surface really functions as the employees only machine, it means two copies of Windows to patch and license, two copies of office, two copies of AV, two copies of...well you get the point.

When you say:

<i>And the people higher up in enterprise environments are eating them up, despite the fact that most don't have a clear definitive use for it. </i>

What you really mean to say is that YOU don't have a definitive use for it. Is it really that or is it that the iPad didn't fit into your multi-year job-defining project to upgrade Office across your company? Attitudes like that in big companies that sniffle innovation and make people who don't work in a cost center crazy.

How dare these executives and other employees actually decide what technology works best for the things they do and how they work? It's like they think that they know how to do their jobs better than the folks in IT do.

Fat Elvis 06-20-2012 08:45 AM

I'm really looking forward to getting one of the pros (assuming the stylus is as accurate as they make it out to be); as stated before, tablets currently are about content consumption, not content creation. The prospect of using a high res tablet running Painter, Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, etc., just gives me goosebumps. Up until this point, the only *real* alternative to direct onscreen editing has been using a Wacom Cintiq-the smallest of which cost $1K--without the computer.

I know apps such as Splashtop and Logmein are supposed to let you manipulate a desktop, but they don't provide the necessary fine touch you would be looking for in content creation.

Valiant 06-20-2012 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveNull (Post 8687309)
How is it a REAL TABLET if it still comes with a touchpad, keyboard and a pointer driven UI?

Seems more like its a REALLY THIN TOUCH DISPLAY holding all the components with a REALLY THIN KEYBOARD

Tablets were originally just a touchscreen interface on a laptop.. I have had a tablet for years before Apple made them popular.. Now if we want to argue that a tablet definition has evolved that is reasonable..

Deberg_1990 06-20-2012 08:59 AM

Of course the traditional desktop PC may never truly die out, but you would be a fool to NOT see that tablets have put a serious dent into desktop PC sales.

Definately in the home PC market where most people primarily use their desktop PCs to surf, pay a few bills, watch movies and play solitaire.

IN the traditional office cube enviroment, id say most people and companies are still happy with the desktop PCs over tablets, but that might change someday. Just in less power consumption alone, companies have to be looking at the benefits tablets offer long term.

Fish 06-20-2012 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveNull (Post 8690392)
<i>Tablets are not meant to replace PCs. People aren't buying tablets so they can throw away their desktops. It's meant to be a highly mobile consumption device that can perform some limited PC functionality in a pinch. And the people higher up in enterprise environments are eating them up, despite the fact that most don't have a clear definitive use for it.</i>

Not necessarily but for tons of people they really do. The higher up in the food chain you go, the more time you spend doing things like writing memos, sending email and going to meetings. In many instances you're traveling for those meetings. Get on an airplane and look around. If you travel more than twice a year, then an iPad is a LOT better than lugging around some crap laptop.

<i>Security is certainly an issue with them though. Tablets and smartphones have piss poor security.</i>

Uh huh. Right. Show me the major exploits that are out there in the wild that are actively being used by attackers to penetrate the enterprise for iOS or Android. That's one area where this Windows tablet falls right on it's ass. It still runs Windows, Java (and all those lovely pwnable legacy versions that are impossible to get rid of), Flash and Acrobat.

I suppose this tablet would be great to push inside the enterprise if:

- You peddle snake oil anti-virus software
- You sell products to manage patches on Windows machines
- You've worked your way up to middle management in IT and have a small empire of help desk personnel and support staff with a huge budget that is spent only to keep technology running instead of making business more efficient
- You're a software sales rep on commission

Seriously ponder that last part for a second. The iPad is extremely cheap to deploy and really opens up the possibility for companies to decrease their software licenses through virtualization of Windows. Unless the Surface really functions as the employees only machine, it means two copies of Windows to patch and license, two copies of office, two copies of AV, two copies of...well you get the point.

When you say:

<i>And the people higher up in enterprise environments are eating them up, despite the fact that most don't have a clear definitive use for it. </i>

What you really mean to say is that YOU don't have a definitive use for it. Is it really that or is it that the iPad didn't fit into your multi-year job-defining project to upgrade Office across your company? Attitudes like that in big companies that sniffle innovation and make people who don't work in a cost center crazy.

How dare these executives and other employees actually decide what technology works best for the things they do and how they work? It's like they think that they know how to do their jobs better than the folks in IT do.

LOLWUT? Writing memos on a tablet is a painful experience. People don't do so because it works well. Tablets are still consumption devices, and any actual desktop like work is tedious. The only advantage for tablets is portability.

There are plenty of security exploits for both iOS and Android. I can and have exposed exploits in many iOS and Android devices. It's not that hard. Just an example:

Quote:

And what about weaknesses? Well both platforms have plenty, but then doesn’t most software? An example cited in the infographic is the vulnerability of Apple devices running a version of iOS lower than 4.3.5 to a SSL MITM, or man in the middle attack which hackers can exploit with little effort. This is particularly important due to the fact that certain Apple devices are not actually permitted to upgrade to a higher firmware due to their age and therefore will always remain susceptible. The same update issue is relevant to Android devices, as millions of devices that are still under contract cannot be updated to the latest version of the OS. Android also suffers from a marketplace which is the equivalent of a warzone. The Android Market has a minuscule amount of security in place, and Google allows pretty much any application to be submitted to the market for sale or download. Unlike Apple, Google does not check the security or validity of any applications prior to them going up for sale.
80% of mobile banking apps have serious security flaws: http://www.bgr.com/2012/05/22/mobile...ity-flaws-ios/

More: http://www.knowyourmobile.com/blog/1...d_exposed.html

More: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/faceboo...ation-updates/

The iPad is extremely cheap to deploy? ROFL Seriously... ROFL... Obviously you've never had to deploy a fleet of iPads to a bunch of snobby professionals. Apple makes it much more difficult than it has to be, as each iPad is tied to somebody's iTunes account for getting apps. You can't just load apps for some executive, because then they can't update it, as it was used with another iTunes account. They don't want to load software themselves, or else they can't figure it out. And then you have to deal with the lofty expectation of idiot execs, who expect a tablet to function exactly as a computer. "What do you mean I can't load Office on my iPad?" I get that a lot.

I have a very specific use for my tablet. WTF would make you think the opposite? I use my tablet more than my laptop these days. Your assumptions about my experiences couldn't be more wrong.

Executives haven't decided what works best. It has zero to do with what works best. Most of the execs I support for a living use their tablets to play Angry Birds and browse the internet. 95% don't actually do any work on them. You're clueless.

Mr. Laz 06-20-2012 11:45 AM

for the price they are charging they better start being a better replacement for laptops