ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Alex Smith to ask for release (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269401)

KCDC 01-28-2013 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9358237)
Give me smart and accurate.

Frankly, I don't think it's terribly likely that you'll ever hear Geno Smith being called a 'dynamic' quarterback. He makes his bones through touch/accuracy and being prudent with the football. He's a perfect Reid QB in that he combines that with an above average arm and mobility when needed, but he's not Stafford or even Josh Freeman back there.

I don't see ASmith as being the noodle-arm some are claiming here. His arm strength is really pretty similar to Sam Bradford's. If you're going to use a Bell Curve for starting NFL quarterbacks, he's probably gets a C-. He doesn't have a cannon, but he's also not Ponder (in fact, I think his arm is probably better than Daltons, but Dalton gets to throw to AJ Green).

If a person advocating for Smith admits he is a C- (which I think is fair), you can see why none of us are excited. If the football gods could promise that he would never play a down for the Chiefs unless our #1 QB was injured, I'd be okay with Smith. If, however, there is even a 5% chance that he has a good preseason and they decide to not start Geno in favor of him, then I don't want him. All of us fear that the retread below average QB will become acceptable in a league were having a top QB is an absolute prerequisite to post-season success.

BossChief 01-28-2013 12:58 PM

I hate to say it, but the more likely scenario would be Reid keeping Cassel and playing him to try and build trade value while grooming Geno to take over.

tooge 01-28-2013 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 9358487)
Yes, but i don't think we are in a position to intentionally grab a backup when we don't have a starter yet. We want to shoot for 2 starters and hope we end up with more than we need.

I agree with this, with one caveat. Say we draft Geno number one and some other guy like Bray, Nassib, or whoever with a third or fourth. Say neither guy is remotely ready for the NFL during training camp, like happened with Eli Manning. Who is our guy to go into the season with while the rooks learn the ropes without getting lambasted? Is this town ready to let Matt Cassel stay for half a season? I'm not. RG3 and Luck were different. One was NFL ready, and the other, they adapted the offense to suit him and how he's got a destroyed knee. I'd love to persue Alex Smith, Matt Hasselbeck, or whoever Reid thinks can run his O while we develop our QBOTF

htismaqe 01-28-2013 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 9358487)
Yes, but i don't think we are in a position to intentionally grab a backup when we don't have a starter yet. We want to shoot for 2 starters and hope we end up with more than we need.

This.

the Talking Can 01-28-2013 12:59 PM

he wasn't good enough for a coach and team bent on the superbowl

naturally, he'd be a great fit in KC...

DJ's left nut 01-28-2013 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCDC (Post 9358491)
If a person advocating for Smith admits he is a C- (which I think is fair), you can see why none of us are excited. If the football gods could promise that he would never play a down for the Chiefs unless our #1 QB was injured, I'd be okay with Smith. If, however, there is even a 5% chance that he has a good preseason and they decide to not start Geno in favor of him, then I don't want him. All of us fear that the retread below average QB will become acceptable in a league were having a top QB is an absolute prerequisite to post-season success.

C- arm.

I think he's probably a C+/B- quarterback.

Deberg_1990 01-28-2013 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 9358497)
I agree with this, with one caveat. Say we draft Geno number one and some other guy like Bray, Nassib, or whoever with a third or fourth. Say neither guy is remotely ready for the NFL during training camp, like happened with Eli Manning. Who is our guy to go into the season with while the rooks learn the ropes without getting lambasted? Is this town ready to let Matt Cassel stay for half a season? I'm not. RG3 and Luck were different. One was NFL ready, and the other, they adapted the offense to suit him and how he's got a destroyed knee. I'd love to persue Alex Smith, Matt Hasselbeck, or whoever Reid thinks can run his O while we develop our QBOTF

Any player drafted #1 overall is starting Day 1 or not long after that. No matter how ready he is.

tooge 01-28-2013 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9358496)
I hate to say it, but the more likely scenario would be Reid keeping Cassel and playing him to try and build trade value while grooming Geno to take over.

Unfortunately, I agree with this. It makes me want to puke, but I fear even worse. I fear that the chiefs don't use the first rounder on Geno, and they take Cassel into the season with some limpdick like Nassib that they get in the third, knowing that they will be taking another next year. I really hope Geno lights up the combine and proday, Reid loves his film study of him, and they have him top five on their board. If they have him top 5, they will take him with number one.

DJ's left nut 01-28-2013 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9358496)

He's on a 1 year deal at this point and nobody's going to trade for a QB mid-season.

I don't think Reid would have any interest in teaching Cassel a new system, only to jettison and have to teach the new QB a new system again the next season. There is no trade value to build because he's a pending FA and there's no way in hell they bring him back when his contract is up after this coming season.

I don't see a scenario where Cassel is on this roster next year unless it's purely as a backup.

Mr. Kotter 01-28-2013 01:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)

BossChief 01-28-2013 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9358508)
He's on a 1 year deal at this point and nobody's going to trade for a QB mid-season.

I don't think Reid would have any interest in teaching Cassel a new system, only to jettison and have to teach the new QB a new system again the next season. There is no trade value to build because he's a pending FA and there's no way in hell they bring him back when his contract is up after this coming season.

I don't see a scenario where Cassel is on this roster next year unless it's purely as a backup.

Cassel is under contract the next two years...but with Dorsey's comments about the situation, I expect Cassel to be cut as soon as its fiscally reasonable to do so.

DJ's left nut 01-28-2013 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9358599)
Cassel is under contract the next two years...but with Dorsey's comments about the situation, I expect Cassel to be cut as soon as its fiscally reasonable to do so.

Well I'll be damned...that deal was even worse than I always had in my head. Here I thought that ****o only signed him to a 5-year deal....

Wow, Scott Pioli really is reeruned.

htismaqe 01-28-2013 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9358599)

This.

From what I can figure, if we cut him later and spread the cap hit, we actually SAVE against the cap by cutting him because the base salaries are so much higher than the pro-rated portion of his signing bonus.

BossChief 01-28-2013 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9358604)
Well I'll be damned...that deal was even worse than I always had in my head. Here I thought that ****o only signed him to a 5-year deal....

Wow, Scott ***** really is reeruned.

The bright side is that when they asked Dorsey if Cassel would be retained, his response was something like "we'll, you never say never"...hinting that him returning was a serious long shot.

The writing is on the wall...we are drafting a quarterback and Cassel and Quinn are gone and Stanzi probably needs o really step it up or he will be, too.

DJ's left nut 01-28-2013 01:53 PM

Scott Pioli gave Matt Cassel $46.5 million to be one of the 3 worst quarterbacks in the NFL over the duration of that deal.

If nothing else, he deserved to get fired because of that decision. Throw in the amount of ticket sales and lost revenue due to fan apathy, and Scott Pioli cost his boss about $60+ million with one stupid !@#$ing decision alone. Then he doubled down on said decision.

Incredible.