ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Music Megadeth > Metallica (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=280999)

Reaper16 01-31-2014 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gadzooks (Post 10405187)
Everything is garbage from a certain perspective.

In this case, the perspective is one overlooking Pantera.

Gadzooks 01-31-2014 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 10405191)
In this case, the perspective is one overlooking Pantera.

If you've "overlooked" Pantera they shouldn't be a problem. I've seen that you're the house music critic, but I don't get how you could call Pantera "garbage".
Is it because their not as obscure as Caninus, Anal **** or Napalm Death?
If Pantera were from Sweden would they get your approval?;)

Lzen 02-01-2014 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 10405161)
Pantera is garbage. Somebody fix this thread.

Wow. For someone who brags about supposedly great taste music, you don't really have great taste in music.

Reaper16 02-01-2014 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gadzooks (Post 10405232)
If you've "overlooked" Pantera they shouldn't be a problem. I've seen that you're the house music critic, but I don't get how you could call Pantera "garbage".
Is it because their not as obscure as Caninus, Anal **** or Napalm Death?
If Pantera were from Sweden would they get your approval?;)

I don't only like obscure things. Besides, Pantera doesn't sound anything like those bands. What Pantera sounds like is Exhorder, whom Pantera totally ripped off.

I do like a handful of Pantera tracks (Cemetery Gates primarily.) I guess I can dig the whole Cowboys From Hell album, more or less. The others are just so boring. Like, their whole "groove metal" sound was always pretty tiresome even on an album I kinda like. I mean, compared to the riff quotient of a thrash or death metal band. Even black metal, with its emphasis on atmosphere, brings more riffs to the table than the average Pantera song does.

For those reasons, Pantera are underwhelming to me. Dimebag is a great guitar player (though he is certainly overrated and is sadly influential), but an incredibly overrated songwriter. The Vulgar Display of Power album makes me want to throw up. Out of sheer boredom.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 10405560)
Wow. For someone who brags about supposedly great taste music, you don't really have great taste in music.

Go listen to John Petrucci try and fail for the thirtieth time to write a decent song. Be sure to report back.

Lzen 02-01-2014 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 10405602)
I don't only like obscure things. Besides, Pantera doesn't sound anything like those bands. What Pantera sounds like is Exhorder, whom Pantera totally ripped off.

I do like a handful of Pantera tracks (Cemetery Gates primarily.) I guess I can dig the whole Cowboys From Hell album, more or less. The others are just so boring. Like, their whole "groove metal" sound was always pretty tiresome even on an album I kinda like. I mean, compared to the riff quotient of a thrash or death metal band. Even black metal, with its emphasis on atmosphere, brings more riffs to the table than the average Pantera song does.

For those reasons, Pantera are underwhelming to me. Dimebag is a great guitar player (though he is certainly overrated and is sadly influential), but an incredibly overrated songwriter. The Vulgar Display of Power album makes me want to throw up. Out of sheer boredom.

Go listen to John Petrucci try and fail for the thirtieth time to write a decent song. Be sure to report back.

Your and idiot. :shake:

mdstu 02-01-2014 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gadzooks (Post 10404568)
I don't know about that... He sings his balls off in Cemetery Gates.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/RVMvART9kb8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Lotta' range there.

He was at Ozzfest 2004 with Superjoint Ritual, he was so bad I was embarrassed for him.

htismaqe 02-01-2014 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdstu (Post 10405846)
He was at Ozzfest 2004 with Superjoint Ritual, he was so bad I was embarrassed for him.

He was pretty ****ed up a lot of the time. Not a great singer to begin with and even worse when he was loaded.

mdstu 02-01-2014 01:26 PM

I don't know if he was loaded or not, but he deserves his ass kicked for making me listen to that shit. I seriously would have went out to my car for a half hour if they would have let me back in.

htismaqe 02-01-2014 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdstu (Post 10405884)
I don't know if he was loaded or not, but he deserves his ass kicked for making me listen to that shit. I seriously would have went out to my car for a half hour if they would have let me back in.

He was a well-known heroin user during that time. I'm honestly not surprised.

mdstu 02-01-2014 01:35 PM

In his defense, if I was an 80's or 90's rock/metal star, I probably would have been an addict as well. It just looks like so much fun.

htismaqe 02-01-2014 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdstu (Post 10405916)
In his defense, if I was an 80's or 90's rock/metal star, I probably would have been an addict as well. It just looks like so much fun.

Well to take this full circle, Dave Mustaine said he started doing heroin specifically for that reason. He wanted to be a rock star and rock stars did heroin.

Dayze 02-28-2014 02:20 AM

Just listened to "Peace Sells But Who's Buying"

....further evidence

Mustaine go the the royal Metallica shaft

Pushead2 02-28-2014 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 10458320)
Just listened to "Peace Sells But Who's Buying"

....further evidence

Mustaine go the the royal Metallica shaft

My biggest gripe with Mustaine is that he wouldn't let go of certain Metallica riffs he had a hand in.

I've said it before in this thread, when he wasn't thinking "Metallica" while writing, that's when Megadeth is better musically. Vocals are a whole other story.

htismaqe 02-28-2014 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pushead2 (Post 10458324)
My biggest gripe with Mustaine is that he wouldn't let go of certain Metallica riffs he had a hand in.

I've said it before in this thread, when he wasn't thinking "Metallica" while writing, that's when Megadeth is better musically. Vocals are a whole other story.

I like his vocals. Distinct and different.

Dayze 03-09-2014 03:03 AM

I just watched more Megadeth...yeah, so coming from a die hard Metallica fan, I'm humbled to say Megadeth is so much better. Why I didn't get into them earlier I have no idea. Even their equivelant of Metallica's "Black album" (Symphony of Destruction) smokes Metallica.

Never thought I'd say this blasphemy

Side note......Friedman's shit makes Hammet's shit look like child's play.