ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Chiefs LB Derrick Johnson after OTA's (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=208030)

Tribal Warfare 05-22-2009 10:47 PM

Chiefs LB Derrick Johnson after OTA's

Derrick Johnson discussing the scheme change

SBK 05-22-2009 11:20 PM

Maybe in a different scheme he'll look like a different LB. It would be nice for a couple of guys, especially him, to flourish in our new scheme--it would be almost like getting extra draft picks.

booger 05-23-2009 03:19 AM

well, he's played the slb well in his early years then last year was supposed to be him on the wlb and then moved to the mlb.

More than likely he'll be protected or stacked behind a 3 tech like dorsey and magee. I think he could also be a good stand up edge rusher once in a while as well. As it always has been is his consistancy issues and taking it to the next level. He should have extra motivation in the last year of his contract as well. I hope the vets like Vrabel and Thomas lite him up when needed.

whoman69 05-23-2009 09:44 AM

I still believe that DJ has not shown even a fraction of what he is capable of. Time to take the handcuffs off.

Deberg_1990 05-23-2009 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoman69 (Post 5787661)
I still believe that DJ has not shown even a fraction of what he is capable of. Time to take the handcuffs off.

heh, no....i think we have seen all of pretty much whats he capable of. Hes in his 5th or 6th year right??

He will most likely be protected somewhat with better players around him.

He is what he is...

KcFanInGA 05-23-2009 10:09 AM

I can't wait to see our D without Gunther that's for sure, and I'm hoping either Pendergast works out well or we get a bigt name like Crennel next year. Im just ready to watch some damn football :)

buddha 05-23-2009 10:20 AM

What freaking hand cuffs has DJ been wearing? Somehow he was forced to be a bad tackler, show mediocre effort at best, and stick to blocks like crazy glue? Please?

milkman 05-23-2009 10:28 AM

DJ is the perfect example of why cover backer is a position of minimal value.

buddha 05-23-2009 10:30 AM

No position is of minimal value on either side of the ball.

The fact is that DJ just isn't a very good player.

Tribesman 05-23-2009 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoman69 (Post 5787661)

DJ is a serviceable LB, that's it. He OCCASIONALLY shows flashes of very goodness. His play to me is more like that of a 2nd round pick.

milkman 05-23-2009 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buddha (Post 5787705)

I disagree.

On this team, lacking talent on the line, he's incapable of being the kind of player he could be if he had players in front of him that kept blockers off him.

Even if he were better at shedding blocks, he would still have to shed those blocks in order to get into position to make a tackle, and we'd be bitching that he wasn't making tackles until ballcarriers had gained 5 or 6 yards.

Kawika Mitchell didn't magically get better through coaching with the Giants.

He appeared to get better because he had better players in front of him.

If DJ played for a team like the Bucs of a few years ago, he'd look like Derek Brooks.

keg in kc 05-23-2009 10:55 AM

DJ's been a good linebacker. He just hasn't been a great linebacker, and met the expectations of the spot he was drafted. The revolving door of failed defensive line picks certainly hasn't helped, nor has the fact that he plays a position of minimal perceived impact, nor has the fact that he (and everyone else on defense) has had inept coaching and coordinating his entire time as a pro. He's all of 26 years old, 27 in November, so the book may not be closed. We'll see.

Titty Meat 05-23-2009 02:11 PM

He'll be a good inside 3-4 LB sideline to sideline

BigChiefFan 05-23-2009 02:24 PM

This defensive position should allow him to perform at a greater level. I see this move helping DJ shore up his overall play and becoming an upper-echelon LBer in the league.

Halfcan 05-23-2009 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buddha (Post 5787705)

:rolleyes:

Hard to put up monster stats when you have to cover a tight end all game. Gun never used him right.