ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football First down Laser - Yay or nay (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269203)

Dayze 01-23-2013 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9344992)
I like it personally. I just don't like how it is called, far too much inconsistency and prevalence during the regular season to call ticky-tack shit. Bowman would have been flagged in the regular season for his play on Roddy White, IMO.

that's a fair point.

Honestly, when I'm watching I have no idea what IS and IS NOT defensive PI anymore.

Sorter 01-23-2013 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 9345076)
that's a fair point.

Honestly, when I'm watching I have no idea what IS and IS NOT defensive PI anymore.

Totally. It has become ****ing ridiculous.

I love watching physical DBs (Sherman, Carr, Flowers, Chancellor, Browner, Whitner, Brown, Revis, etc). It makes me crazy seeing guys get called for the weakest PI calls during the regular season.

suds79 01-23-2013 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 9345035)
Big waste of money if you ask me, put that money to use coming up with a better helmet to protect the players health with, or something, anything else.

I've been saying for a couple years now get rid of the hard shelled helmets. Boom. done.

certainly won't have guys launching themselves into guys like missiles anymore.

Dayze 01-23-2013 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suds79 (Post 9345088)
I've been saying for a couple years now get rid of the hard shelled helmets. Boom. done.

yep. shitty tackling. diving at a runner blindly / head down instead of head up tackling.

Sorter 01-23-2013 03:45 PM

Quote:

No, but there are several instances where the helmet protects (knees/elbows to the head).

I think it would be worse to remove helmets than try to improve them. Additionally, I'd love to see Rugby's concussion statistics over the past 15 years and the studies on brain damage in Rugby players.

Easy 6 01-23-2013 03:56 PM

Quote:

I'm not in favor of that idea whatsoever, it would take way too much physicality out of the game and lead to ALL kinds of inadvertant injuries... heads slamming to the turf, kicks to the head, all kinds of really nasty things would happen.

Dayze 01-23-2013 03:58 PM

wear motorcycle helmets lol

DaFace 01-23-2013 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 9345133)
I'm not in favor of that idea whatsoever, it would take way too much physicality out of the game and lead to ALL kinds of inadvertant injuries... heads slamming to the turf, kicks to the head, all kinds of really nasty things would happen.

It would change the game for sure (which is why I'm not in favor of it), but I recall an article from a year or two ago which suggested that injuries have actually INCREASED with extra safety equipment over time since players tend to play like their gear will always protect them.

Dayze 01-23-2013 03:59 PM

I remember reading something to that effect as well.

FD 01-23-2013 04:12 PM

I like the idea in a way. I dont think it should be on when the ball is in play, just too distracting, but for measurements flipping a switch and having the first down line appear on the field would be much better than walking the chains out.

BlackHelicopters 01-23-2013 05:39 PM

Everything is cooler with lasers. Ever been to a Pink Floyd show?

Old Dog 01-23-2013 05:50 PM

I've thought for a while that the easiest way to do it would be to put a laser on/embedded in the first down marker and then just flip it on to measure across rather than trot the chains out.
Keep a square on the base of the marker to assure it's not angled toward an end zone and put a template or something (could be something carried by the referee) to account for the crown of the field (which I believe is about 18").

lcarus 01-23-2013 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chief52 (Post 9343444)
If you are at the game all you have to do is look for the bright orange down markers...like we have for years. The reason they are so helpful on TV is we can not see the down markers.

Totally not needed if you ask me.

I agree. Really not necessary, but if it didn't interfere with anything and worked properly, then hell, why not?

Ace Gunner 01-23-2013 06:05 PM

I remember my first flashlight. It was amazing.

Easy 6 01-23-2013 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 9345139)
It would change the game for sure (which is why I'm not in favor of it), but I recall an article from a year or two ago which suggested that injuries have actually INCREASED with extra safety equipment over time since players tend to play like their gear will always protect them.

I vaguely remember hearing about that, on the surface it makes sense but i just dont see how newer, better equipment could be an overall detriment.

Guys are so huge and fast now that removing some of the equipment to get them to ease up a bit wouldnt add up to the same level of safety that modern gear provides.

I'd hate to have this game become rugby, however close to our football it may be in some respects.