ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Live 8 to be sequel of Live Aid (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=117159)

C-Mac 05-31-2005 11:17 PM

Live 8 to be sequel of Live Aid

http://en.chinabroadcast.cn/2246/2005-6-1/90@242496.htm

Live 8 to be Live Aid 2
2005-6-1 9:29:37 CRIENGLISH.com

Bob Geldof is at it again.Two decades after he masterminded Live Aid, the largest charity concert ever mounted, to fight famine in Africa, the 58-year-old singer-activist has announced an encore.
On Tuesday, Geldof unveiled a Live Aid sequel, dubbed Live 8, that aims to be bigger than the original and will feature a who's-who of the top music acts in the world, including Paul McCartney,U2, the Rolling Stones, Madonna and a reunited Pink Floyd, participating in a series of mega-concerts.

The free gigs will be staged July 2 in London, Paris, Berlin, Philadelphia and Rome and simulcast on television and the Internet.

At a news conference, Geldof stated that the goal this time around will be to raise awareness of poverty in Third World countries, particularly in African nations, ahead of the annual G8 meeting in Britain attended by the leaders of the world's most powerful industrial nations, among them President George W. Bush.

"We don't want people's money. We want them," the Irish popster told a news conference Tuesday, adding that the July 6-8 G8 summit offered a "unique opportunity for Britain to do something unparalleled in the world...to tilt the world a little bit on its axis in favor of the poor."

Coldplay, R.E.M., Mariah Carey and the Cure are among those performing with McCartney, Madonna and U2 in London; Dave Matthews Band, Bon Jovi, Stevie Wonder,Sarah McLachlan, Will Smith, Jay-Z and P. Diddy will take the stage in Philadelphia; Jamiroquai, Placebo, Andrea Bocelli and Youssou N'Dour are among the headliners in Paris; Lauryn Hill, Brian Wilson, A-ha and Crosby, Stills and Nash will lead the Berlin bill; and Duran Duran, Faith Hill and Tim McGraw will command the stage in Rome.

Meanwhile, several other A-list acts, including Pink Floyd, the Rolling Stones, Usher, Snoop Dogg and Destiny's Child, have signed on to perform, but there's no immediate word on where they'll be playing.

Speculation of a pending Spice Girls reunion was quickly squashed by Victoria Beckham's publicist--not that the Girl Power group would have been welcomed. According to an account in London's Daily Mirror, Live 8 organizers rejected the quintet out of concern its inclusion might undercut the seriousness of the event.

The original Live Aid, held simultaneously in 1985 at London's Wembley Stadium and Philadelphia's RFK Stadium, featured an all-star lineup led by McCartney, David Bowie, Queen, Duran Duran, U2, Bob Dylan and Led Zeppelin.

Geldof says Live 8 should exceed its predecessor in terms of viewership--it will be beamed worldwide to more than 2 billion people over various cable and satellite channels. AOL will carry the shows live on the Internet.

Tickets for the London event, which will take place at Hyde Park, will be given out via a lottery on June 6. Tickets for the other venues--Berlin's Brandenburg Gate, Philly's Museum of Art, Rome's Circus Maximus, and a venue in Paris to be announced--will be distributed via a similar lottery system.

Live 8 organizers hope the massive turnout will help pressure G8 leaders to take immediate action to forgive Third World debt and establish programs to eradicate poverty and injustice in developing countries.

Organizers are also hoping to stage concerts in the three other G8 countries: Canada, Russia and Japan.

Here's a complete rundown of the acts and venues confirmed thus far.

LONDON: Mariah Carey, Coldplay, Dido, Keane, Elton John, Annie Lennox, Paul McCartney, Muse, Razorlight, REM, Scissor Sisters, Snow Patrol, Stereophonics, Sting , Joss Stone,Robbie Williams, U2, Velvet Revolver, Bob Geldof, the Killers, Madonna, The Cure

BERLIN: A-ha, Bap, Crosby, Stills & Nash, Die Toten Hosen, Peter Maffay, Brian Wilson

PHILADELPHIA: Will Smith, Bon Jovi, Maroon 5, Dave Matthews Band, Sarah McLachlan, Rob Thomas, Keith Urban, Jay-Z, Stevie Wonder, 50 Cent, Kaiser Chiefs, P. Diddy

PARIS: Andrea Bocelli, Craig David, Calo Gero, Jamiroqaui, Kyo, Yannick Noah, Youssou N'Dour, Placebo,Axelle Red, Johnny Halliday, Manu Chao, Renaud

ROME: Irene Grandi, Faith Hill, Jovanotti, Tim McGraw, Nek,Laura Pausini, Duran Duran, Vasco Rossi, Zucchero

Man I'm getting old, but I remember it like it was yesterday.
I sure hope they dont invite Michael Jackson to sing this time.
I thought I had heard that the food help from Live Aid had many an obstacle actually getting to the needy, basically because of politics. They said food just rotted on the docks at some places.

jspchief 05-31-2005 11:38 PM

The crooked Ethiopian government will be excited to hear there's another windfall on the way...

Miles 05-31-2005 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C-Mac
and a reunited Pink Floyd,

Damn its hard to believe this will actually happen but given Geldof's history with the band, who knows.

stevieray 05-31-2005 11:44 PM

a-list..? I only see a handful.

trndobrd 05-31-2005 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C-Mac

Meanwhile, several other A-list acts, including Pink Floyd, the Rolling Stones, Usher, Snoop Dogg and Destiny's Child, have signed on to perform, but there's no immediate word on where they'll be playing.

All in the same sentence....wow :shake:

FloridaChief 06-01-2005 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miles
Damn its hard to believe this will actually happen but given Geldof's history with the band, who knows.

Not happening, according to the UK Brain Damage website...

Quote:

We have had loads of emails from people worldwide (thanks to you all!) regarding the rumours of Pink Floyd reforming (WITH Roger Waters, too) to appear at the "Live 8" concert that speculation says will be happening at the start of July.

We have heard back from the band's PR company, who categorically state that they are not appearing, and we also spoke with Pink Floyd's management (PFM) today, who confirmed that all the talk of the band reforming is simply rumour - there are no discussions between the band members past and present ongoing, and no intention to open discussions.
http://www.brain-damage.co.uk/

trndobrd 06-01-2005 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FloridaChief

Syd Barrett then. He hasn't been too busy for the last 35 years and is about due for a comeback.

KCWolfman 06-01-2005 06:03 AM

Geldolf did not mastermind the first, Harry Chapin did.

Geldolf ripped off Chapin's idea and took his plans and ran with them the moment after Chapin was killed and never gave him credit.

I am not huge on the touchy feelies of this planet, but Harry Chapin was a generous, kind, and liberal human being in the most extreme and complimentary sense of every word.

C-Mac 06-01-2005 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FloridaChief

Interesting.
I remember that it was going round the circles that a Beatles reunion was likley to occur at the first LiveAid also.

Chiefnj 06-01-2005 07:48 AM

I find it funny that the Spice Girls aren't allowed to play because of the "seriousness" of the event, but it is okay to have rappers with lyrics like:

"****as heard I **** with Dre, now they wanna show me love
When you sell like Eminem, and the hoes they wanna **** "

Fairplay 06-01-2005 08:01 AM

Thats a great charity bash thats going to a needy cause which is hunger in Africa...........

5 years later.........

Thats a great charity bash thats going to a needy cause which is hunger in Africa...........

5 years later.........

5 years later.........

Get the point? Hows this for a clue. There will always be a major hunger cause in Africa. In the meantime all the food organizations are doing is just being nothing more then a band-aid.
"Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime.”
Im surprised some companies haven't started up over there for cheap labor. They could be the new china when it comes to manufactureing low cost items. Companies give money to workers. They build houses, roads, businesses=economics 101.....we have a growing community! Try to solve the problem for them from being dependent for non-stop food donations (for decades) then throw money at the problem. Or you will be feeding a bottomless pit.

chagrin 06-01-2005 08:21 AM

With the exception of the Rolling stones (unless Floyd is led by Roger Waters) and MAYBE the Cure, Velvet Revolver, I see nothing here that's worth even renting the DVD for.

And, correct me if I'm worng, but did I see 50 Cent on this list?
I didn't realize Rap stars had any idea of what was going on in the world other than their own record contracts, limo's, ho's, bling bling, guns, etc...(my closed minded comment of the day)

trndobrd 06-01-2005 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chagrin
I didn't realize Rap stars had any idea of what was going on in the world other than their own record contracts, limo's, ho's, bling bling, guns, etc...(my closed minded comment of the day)

Yeah, but what about their......oh, you got "ho's" in there. Nevermind.

FloridaChief 06-01-2005 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trndobrd
Syd Barrett then. He hasn't been too busy for the last 35 years and is about due for a comeback.

I may be going out on a limb here, but I'd say the longtime complications from diabetes and last year's stomach ulcer surgery has put the Crazy Diamond's comeback on the backburner yet again...

:(

FloridaChief 06-01-2005 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCWolfman
Geldolf did not mastermind the first, Harry Chapin did.

Geldolf ripped off Chapin's idea and took his plans and ran with them the moment after Chapin was killed and never gave him credit.

I am not huge on the touchy feelies of this planet, but Harry Chapin was a generous, kind, and liberal human being in the most extreme and complimentary sense of every word.

Yeeesss...

Innumerable are the rock musicians who have fucked over the late Mr Chapin. And why not? With such a stockpile of inspiration such as "Living Room Suite"...