ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Dumervil's agent requests release (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=271004)

Molitoth 03-12-2013 10:31 AM

Somehow Knowmo will turn this into a positive for the Broncos...

listopencil 03-12-2013 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagicHef (Post 9488155)
Sure, it may not be playing to Doom's strengths as much as we did in the past, but name a 4-3 DE that is available that can be used to roll protection away from Miller like Doom does, but still get double digit sacks and be top ten in the league in pressures.

Also, he improved his play against the run to the point that Del Rio left him on the field more than any other DL.

Cutting him would be a mistake, and I honestly don't think the Broncos will.

I'm hearing rumors that Freeney might be his replacement. I don't want to see him go either. I think he has improved against the run too, and he has a good skill set overall. As far as total snaps didn't Wolfe top the D-Line though? I thought I had seen that stat last year. Anyway, I guess the Broncos figure that they don't need Dumervil to run their scheme. They think they can get someone else in there to do the same thing for a smaller contract. I was pointing out that this doesn't make him a cap casualty because they aren't up against it. It's just that they don't think he's worth as much to the team as his contract shows.

MagicHef 03-12-2013 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 9488846)
I'm hearing rumors that Freeney might be his replacement. I don't want to see him go either. I think he has improved against the run too, and he has a good skill set overall. As far as total snaps didn't Wolfe top the D-Line though? I thought I had seen that stat last year. Anyway, I guess the Broncos figure that they don't need Dumervil to run their scheme. They think they can get someone else in there to do the same thing for a smaller contract. I was pointing out that this doesn't make him a cap casualty because they aren't up against it. It's just that they don't think he's worth as much to the team as his contract shows.

Doom played 1037 snaps, Wolfe played 1007 snaps.

I just don't understand why he would be worth $14 million last year, but not worth $12 million this year. To effectively replace him, I think they would need to spend more resources than it would be worth. Freeney would be a big downgrade, unless they are changing the scheme to hide his weaknesses. In which case, the whole defense will probably suffer.

listopencil 03-12-2013 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagicHef (Post 9488867)
Doom played 1037 snaps, Wolfe played 1007 snaps.

OK

Quote:

I just don't understand why he would be worth $14 million last year, but not worth $12 million this year. To effectively replace him, I think they would need to spend more resources than it would be worth. Freeney would be a big downgrade, unless they are changing the scheme to hide his weaknesses. In which case, the whole defense will probably suffer.
Maybe they feel that Von miller has progressed enough that they don't need Dumervil level talent, that Just Some Guy can do the same thing? I don't know. IAOFM is saying that cutting Dumervil would create $8.754 MIL in cap space, here's a piece of an article:

The team currently has around $11.5M in space, while cutting Dumervil ($13.623M cap - $4.869M dead money = $8.754M savings) and Mays ($4,166,667 cap - $833,334 dead money = $3,333,333 savings) would leave them with $23,660,084 in room (minus whatever David Bruton's 2013 cap number is) according to Spotrac's current accounting.

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/bron...williams-hanie

MagicHef 03-12-2013 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 9488934)
OK

Maybe they feel that Von miller has progressed enough that they don't need Dumervil level talent, that Just Some Guy can do the same thing? I don't know. IAOFM is saying that cutting Dumervil would create $8.754 MIL in cap space, here's a piece of an article:

The team currently has around $11.5M in space, while cutting Dumervil ($13.623M cap - $4.869M dead money = $8.754M savings) and Mays ($4,166,667 cap - $833,334 dead money = $3,333,333 savings) would leave them with $23,660,084 in room (minus whatever David Bruton's 2013 cap number is) according to Spotrac's current accounting.

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/bron...williams-hanie

$8.754 in cap space, and a hole at RDE. A decent replacement there will take up a large portion of that space. So, we'd get what, $4 million in space in exchange for a pretty sizable downgrade? It doesn't make sense to me.

listopencil 03-12-2013 04:37 PM

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet Source: Elvis Dumervil is now willing to take a pay cut. His side has exchanged a proposal with the Broncos, hasn't heard back since 4

BlackHelicopters 03-12-2013 05:25 PM

Couldn't PM throw in a couple BJs?

listopencil 03-12-2013 07:10 PM

Updated:

Dumervil’s agent: Pay cut? Not so much…

Douglas Lee Mar 12, 2013 8:37 PM

<article> The Elvis Dumervil story has taken yet another turn, and it doesn't lend itself to the DE remaining in Denver. As reported by Mike Klis:
Magid sent back a proposal Tuesday that lowered his client's asking price from $12 million in 2013, but then added that reduction onto his contract in the form of guarantees for the 2014 and 2015 seasons.
Ian Rapoport says on NFLN that the Broncos now stand a better chance of keeping Dumervil around. We hope that's the case, but will believe it if/when that occurs.

Dumervil's agent, Marty Magid, doesn't sound like someone prepared to compromise:
We're saying the same thing today as we did yesterday: If you can't accept this proposal, then release us. The only thing that's different today is we exchanged proposals. They went up this year and we went down for this year. But they're still trying to reduce the first year of this three-year deal and we're trying to restructure.
We would hope that they feel our proposal puts us at common ground. We're willing to take a decrease this year to help the Broncos make a run at the Super Bowl, and they need to make a decision whether to keep him or not.
It's always about the guarantees in this league, because without them, teams hold all the leverage, as seen in cases like this one right here.
</article>
http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/bron...ut-not-so-much

Jobomb 03-12-2013 07:55 PM

Dumervil is a good player. But his cap hit was $14M last year which is about $6M too much. The Broncos have probably a two year window to get a SB. You can't be overpaying like that and fix the roster to make it happen.

listopencil 03-14-2013 07:54 PM

Elway: Elvis’s salary is out of whack

Douglas Lee Mar 14, 2013 9:15 PM
Kiszla: Elvis Dumervil's clock is ticking, but Broncos aren't budging
www.denverpost.com

Elway:

"These are the deals that wrench your gut. As an ex-player, I hate to see that. I hated to see that happen to a teammate. And I hate having to do it, in the position I’m in. But I’ve got to do what’s best for this football team."

"It’s not all about dollars. But when it’s way out of whack? Then it’s so out of whack that you’ve got to say: That (salary) can’t be it. Especially when you look at the market and what’s out there now. It’s so far out of whack. Hopefully, he realizes that."

Ebolapox 03-14-2013 08:13 PM

just cheat the salary cap again--give him a shit-ton of deferred money so you can afford to build your stadium again. hell, helped you assholes win a super bowl last time--can't hurt to try it again, eh?

Mother****erJones 03-14-2013 08:14 PM

Ah the old skimp the salary cap and vaseline routine. Works well

Mile High Mania 03-14-2013 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtchiefs4life (Post 9499776)
Ah the old skimp the salary cap and vaseline routine. Works well

The good ol days

InChiefsHeaven 03-14-2013 09:08 PM

I'd love to have Elvis crushing Peyton twice a year...

Chief_For_Life58 03-14-2013 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ebolapox (Post 9499766)
just cheat the salary cap again--give him a shit-ton of deferred money so you can afford to build your stadium again. hell, helped you assholes win a super bowl last time--can't hurt to try it again, eh?

this.