ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Books Please do me a Favor (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=266703)

JohnnyV13 11-16-2012 08:50 PM

Please do me a Favor

I know this isn't really a football-related post, but I was hoping Chiefsplanet could flex its muscles on my behalf.

Today and tomorrow (11/16-11/17) I'm running a free promotion for my Epic Fantasy novel (The Supreme Warrior) on Amazon.com. For two days, its free to download.

If people here would be willing to take the time to get this free download, even if you aren't interested in the epic fantasy genre, it could push me up Amazon bestseller lists which will help me reach my intended audience.

Here is the link:
http://t.co/ov2e5yob

Thanks to everyone.

John Viril

Simply Red 11-16-2012 08:51 PM

OK!!!!!!!!!

In58men 11-16-2012 08:51 PM

Prayers sent

FlaChief58 11-16-2012 08:52 PM

Thank god everyone is OK. Just imagine if this had happened in mid air.

stonedstooge 11-16-2012 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inmem58 (Post 9124238)
Prayers sent

ROFL Sorry man

listopencil 11-16-2012 08:58 PM

Did you write the synopsis?

unlurking 11-16-2012 09:36 PM

Non Kindle version?

JonesCrusher 11-16-2012 10:11 PM

Got it. Not usually a sci-fi reader but I will give it a whirl.

007 11-16-2012 10:15 PM

Your novel sucks man. :)

redfan 11-16-2012 10:30 PM

**** off, noob.

j/k

Phobia 11-16-2012 10:45 PM

Is this anything like 30 Shade of Grey?

JoeyChuckles 11-16-2012 10:54 PM

Books can be downloaded now?

GloryDayz 11-16-2012 10:59 PM

I guess I need SOMETHING to do during the next Chiefs game! I'll be fapped-out by the end of our first 3-and-out!

Rain Man 11-16-2012 11:00 PM

Done.

Can you direct me to any particular pages with female nudity?

Psyko Tek 11-16-2012 11:58 PM

sorry can't figure out how to download it but gave you a review

"peoli dies at the end". an epic batttle of bad vs worse in the end both lose at least Carr and gonzo got free the rest of us fly banners and have learned apathy

sorry
would love to read it
sorry I cp'ed your amazon

pr_capone 11-17-2012 12:02 AM

done

RealSNR 11-17-2012 12:51 AM

NEEEEEEEEEERD

RealSNR 11-17-2012 12:53 AM

Also thanks for taking a gigantic dump on bookstores, asshole

Phobia 11-17-2012 01:07 AM

I never click on threads asking "Please do me a favor".

mnchiefsguy 11-17-2012 01:59 AM

Done. Thanks for the free book!

Pants 11-17-2012 02:15 AM

Done.

CoMoChief 11-17-2012 04:08 AM

Thanks for taking my idea and writing a book about it.

keg in kc 11-17-2012 04:34 AM

Done. Congratulations on getting it finished and out there. It's a hard thing. :thumb:

kysirsoze 11-17-2012 05:36 AM

This better be good...

(read: done)

ottawa_chiefs_fan 11-17-2012 06:30 AM

done.

rad 11-17-2012 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeyChuckles (Post 9124448)
Books can be downloaded now?

Yep. Cars are next.

BlackHelicopters 11-17-2012 07:53 AM

Done. Thanks for the free book. Needs more boobs.

Pasta Little Brioni 11-17-2012 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 9124604)
Thanks for taking my idea and writing a book about it.

Shooter?

jspchief 11-17-2012 10:16 AM

DL'd it. Will read when I can, but be warned my review will be honest.

damaticous 11-17-2012 10:25 AM

done. will be reading it soon. I don't give reviews though.

JohnnyV13 11-17-2012 10:57 AM

Thanks to everyone so far. With the rest of Saturday to go (until midnight PST), my book has shot up the Amazon bestseller lists:

#9 Epic Fantasy
#18 in Mythology
#48 in Fantasy

and #831 on the Amazon Free Book list. Hitting the top 100 on Amazon lists is a big help in getting found on searches by customers. Hopefully, the free promotion will push me there for a number of days (Amazon ranks on a VERY short time-frame).

If you're having problems downloading it, you need 1) an Amazon account and if you want to actually read it you need 2) to download the Kindle reader software.

You do not need an actual Kindle to read it. You can do so on any computer, smartphone or tablet device.

Thanks again.

JohnnyV13 11-17-2012 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 9124250)
Did you write the synopsis?

Yes I did. Writing that thing was surprisingly hard, and I'm not sure I like it yet. If you have any suggestions or improvements, I'd love to hear about them. Writing a novel and writing what is essentially marketing ad copy are two different things.

JohnnyV13 11-17-2012 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 9124282)
Non Kindle version?

There will be one eventually. To get Amazon to do a free promotion it has to be exclusive to Amazon for 90 days. (I will get another 3 day free promotion later).

I have also designed a paperback version which will be priced at 9.99 and will be available from Amazon soon, but I'm finalizing the layout.

After the 90 day exclusive period, I'll put it up on smashwords, which will create versions available on virtually any ebook platform (including the apple store).

However, you don't need an actual kindle to read a kindle book. You can download a "Kindle reader" that will work on pretty much any device (computer, smartphone or tablet). My sister reads Kindle novels on her iPad.

One of the biggest misconceptions I've run into while talking to people about my book is that you need a Kindle device to read a Kindle book.

JohnnyV13 11-17-2012 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theelusiveeightrop (Post 9124660)
Done. Thanks for the free book. Needs more boobs.

I think there is a distinct shortage of boobies in the world. That's why plastic surgeons make what they do.

JohnnyV13 11-17-2012 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief (Post 9124809)
DL'd it. Will read when I can, but be warned my review will be honest.

NP. Honest reviews will sound more genuine than fake "sock-puppet" adulation. In fact, I expect my star rating will go down after the free promotion. While I'll probably get a good bump in the number of reviews, a number of readers will download anything free so you will get people who probably don't like your genre that much to begin with.

Look at big recognized classics and runaway bestsellers and you'll see that most of them have lower star ratings than I do. A lot of that is mass appeal books will have people that love them, but will also draw hate from some quarters.

If my book eventually does succeed (i'm not holding my breath. I consider this a get-my-feet-wet learning experience in ebook marketing), I'll draw my share of 1 star reviews.

JohnnyV13 11-17-2012 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 9124454)
Done.

Can you direct me to any particular pages with female nudity?

Unfortunately no. First of all, ebooks don't have page numbers because they're designed for readers to customize page sizes and font sizes. You do have "locations".

Even so, my book doesn't have much sex but does have a decent amount of violence (beheadings, slit throats and other forms of mayhem). There is, however, an attempted rape of a hot chick.

Ceej 11-17-2012 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyV13 (Post 9124917)
Unfortunately no. First of all, ebooks don't have page numbers because they're designed for readers to customize page sizes and font sizes. You do have "locations".

Even so, my book doesn't have much sex but does have a decent amount of violence (beheadings, slit throats and other forms of mayhem). There is, however, an attempted rape of a hot chick.

Pics??

Sandyskc 11-17-2012 12:02 PM

Done

Hog's Gone Fishin 11-17-2012 12:31 PM

If I download the book will you buy some of my stuff ?

morphius 11-17-2012 12:41 PM

Done! Good luck.

Mr. Laz 11-17-2012 12:50 PM

downloading now ... good luck

JohnnyV13 11-17-2012 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hog Farmer (Post 9125031)
If I download the book will you buy some of my stuff ?

I'll buy free stuff. LOLOL.

JohnnyV13 11-17-2012 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psyko Tek (Post 9124507)
sorry can't figure out how to download it but gave you a review

"peoli dies at the end". an epic batttle of bad vs worse in the end both lose at least Carr and gonzo got free the rest of us fly banners and have learned apathy

sorry
would love to read it
sorry I cp'ed your amazon

NP. I was amused to be honest. Course it helped that you gave me a 5 star review. LOL.

Anyway, to DL it you need an amazon account and should get it by hitting the 1-click button on the right side of the page. To read it, you'll need to download the kindle reader software, which is in a link right below the "1-click" button.

ILChief 11-17-2012 02:06 PM

Is it the story of a two sport high school star from California recruited to USC only to be stuck behind two heisman trophy winners and never start a game yet managed to get drafted late by the patriots and back up a hall of famer only to step in for said hall of famer when he is injured and play decent enough to bamboozle some dumbass team into screwing over their fans by sticking with him even though he sucks?

Jenson71 11-17-2012 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyV13 (Post 9124879)
Thanks to everyone so far. With the rest of Saturday to go (until midnight PST), my book has shot up the Amazon bestseller lists:

#9 Epic Fantasy
#18 in Mythology
#48 in Fantasy

and #831 on the Amazon Free Book list. Hitting the top 100 on Amazon lists is a big help in getting found on searches by customers. Hopefully, the free promotion will push me there for a number of days (Amazon ranks on a VERY short time-frame).

Up to #766 on Free Downloads.

JohnnyV13 11-17-2012 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILChief (Post 9125219)
Is it the story of a two sport high school star from California recruited to USC only to be stuck behind two heisman trophy winners and never start a game yet managed to get drafted late by the patriots and back up a hall of famer only to step in for said hall of famer when he is injured and play decent enough to bamboozle some dumbass team into screwing over their fans by sticking with him even though he sucks?

Eureka! That will be the plot of my next book.

unlurking 11-17-2012 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyV13 (Post 9124896)
There will be one eventually. To get Amazon to do a free promotion it has to be exclusive to Amazon for 90 days. (I will get another 3 day free promotion later).

I have also designed a paperback version which will be priced at 9.99 and will be available from Amazon soon, but I'm finalizing the layout.

After the 90 day exclusive period, I'll put it up on smashwords, which will create versions available on virtually any ebook platform (including the apple store).

However, you don't need an actual kindle to read a kindle book. You can download a "Kindle reader" that will work on pretty much any device (computer, smartphone or tablet). My sister reads Kindle novels on her iPad.

One of the biggest misconceptions I've run into while talking to people about my book is that you need a Kindle device to read a Kindle book.

No misconception, I just don't do locked in/proprietary if I can avoid it. I've spent a small fortune at Baen due to their open policies. I also have no plans of installing an application to read closed products that I can only license, not purchase.

I know, I've become a crotchety old man.

Bump the thread when you upload an epub version and I'll grab a copy!

Mr. Laz 11-17-2012 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 9125924)
No misconception, I just don't do locked in/proprietary if I can avoid it. I've spent a small fortune at Baen due to their open policies. I also have no plans of installing an application to read closed products that I can only license, not purchase.

I know, I've become a crotchety old man.

Bump the thread when you upload an epub version and I'll grab a copy!

this is about bumping his book profile, not your reading preference

just download then delete it :shrug:

unlurking 11-17-2012 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz (Post 9125934)
this is about bumping his book profile, not your reading preference

just download then delete it :shrug:

No thanks.

I'd rather purchase a copy of the book than support the Kindle format, which I would be doing in attempting to show support for the author by downloading a Kindle version. Same concept as wanting Hunt to see empty seats, I won't give Amazon a click on a format I think is wrong.

This in a genre that I read and sounds interesting, so I will support a CP author by purchasing a copy when available in either an open standard or dead tree version.

Not trying to make a "statement" or anything. Just how I feel.

Mr. Laz 11-17-2012 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 9126091)

ummm ... that's exactly what you are trying to do.

but hey, you go with your bad self

no problem here

unlurking 11-17-2012 09:19 PM

Not really. I asked if there was another format available out of interest in the work. I then went on to clarify that it was not a lack of a Kindle keeping me from downloading.

But please feel free to go on with your superficial support of downloading then ignoring the author's work. Mighty wide of ya.

Jenson71 11-17-2012 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 9126579)
Not really. I asked if there was another format available out of interest in the work. I then went on to clarify that it was not a lack of a Kindle keeping me from downloading.

But please feel free to go on with your superficial support of downloading then ignoring the author's work. Mighty wide of ya.

Some of us just like JohnnyV, even though we don't care for the genre.

JohnnyV13 11-17-2012 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 9126091)
No thanks.

I'd rather purchase a copy of the book than support the Kindle format, which I would be doing in attempting to show support for the author by downloading a Kindle version. Same concept as wanting Hunt to see empty seats, I won't give Amazon a click on a format I think is wrong.

This in a genre that I read and sounds interesting, so I will support a CP author by purchasing a copy when available in either an open standard or dead tree version.

A paperback version is coming. Proofs are coming for my review. I'm committed to Kindle for another two months or so, and then I'll be on almost every other ebook format because I'll create a smashwords version. Ignore the current pricing. My ebook versions will go back to .99 cents after the promotion is over. The trade paperback will cost $9.99 on Amazon and should be available to order in Dec.

Ming the Merciless 11-18-2012 12:00 AM

done, ordered it for my wife's kindle (she reads fantasy genre)

thanks man

RealSNR 11-18-2012 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILChief (Post 9125219)

Now that's what I call fantasy!

dmahurin 11-18-2012 12:58 AM

Done

unlurking 11-18-2012 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyV13 (Post 9126964)
A paperback version is coming. Proofs are coming for my review. I'm committed to Kindle for another two months or so, and then I'll be on almost every other ebook format because I'll create a smashwords version. Ignore the current pricing. My ebook versions will go back to .99 cents after the promotion is over. The trade paperback will cost $9.99 on Amazon and should be available to order in Dec.

Sounds good! Be sure to bump when available and I'll pick up a copy!

JohnnyV13 12-08-2012 10:33 PM

Hey, My book is now on a free Kindle promotion again. If you helped last time, many thanx. If you didn't DL it in November, its free until Tuesday.

Unlurking, I just approved my proof copy for the trade paperback, which means it available in the Createspace e store and you can order it on Amazon in five days.

Thanx everyone. This time, I have already given away more than my entire giveaway from last time, and have hit #16 on Epic Fantasy and #913 overall.

Shooting for the top 100 overall on Kindle free books.