ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Archives (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   "We're going to miss a Tim Grunhard" - Vermeil (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=16188)

old_geezer 03-25-2001 07:12 AM

Dick also was quoted as saying "I wish he was the player he used to be."
This could have been posted in my quote on Holmes, but Grunny deserves a post of his own. We knew this day was coming when they signed Weigman to play center, but it still hurts.
It sounds like they have no intention of re-signing Grunhard. I will miss his great play and effort. Best of luck to him where-ever he ends up.

milkman 03-25-2001 07:44 AM

Just another reason for me to dislike Tearmeil's hiring.
He's telling us he can't find a place for Grunhard on this team, because his skills are deteriorating? Didn't Grunhard make his first Pro Bowl appearence last season?
Sounds lke he's just making this crap up as he goes.

keg in kc 03-25-2001 05:13 PM

We picked-up Wiegmann for a reason, and I'm glad we did. I love Grunny, but when it's your time, it's your time, and he's able able to retire as a fixture in the community and with good health to boot. Best of luck to Timmy, and if you guys didn't get the chance to hear him on the radio a couple of weeks ago, believe me, he's fine with retiring.

One other thing, making this into an anti-Vermeil thread is pointless, he's just doing his job and putting the best players he can on the field. And saying his skills are deteriorating isn't some "crap" DV made up, we (or at least I) could see it all last year. I'd love to have Grunny for another year, but only on the sidelines. Time to hand the reigns to the new driver.

PostalChief 03-25-2001 05:49 PM

keg,

Is Weigmann a complete Center? I haven't seen too many Bears games last season to judge. What can he bring to the table that Grunhard couldn't? Just curious.

old_geezer 03-25-2001 06:13 PM

This is not meant as a anti-Vermeil thread. I just wanted BB members to have a chance to give praise to a veteran who always gave his all. If Grunny is not re-signed, I will miss him. :(

Mosbonian 03-25-2001 06:25 PM

Does anyone remember when Grunhard took over the reigns from Mike Webster? Webster was still better than most of the Centers playing at that time, but he stepped aside and told the coaches that it was time for Grunhard to play.

I would hope that Tim Grunhard would retire as a Chief, remain in the city as many of the old and admired Chiefs have done, and maybe look into becoming an O-line coach.

mmaddog

keg in kc 03-25-2001 06:28 PM

PC, he's 25 (26 in July), that's the first thing he brings to the table...

Honestly, I haven't seen him play much either, but the comments I have heard are that he performed well when Kreutz went down last season.

I'd love to keep Grunny on the team, that's not my point, btw - you can never have too much depth at line positions on either side of the ball. I think he's a step or two slower, and I also think the arrival of a 25 year old FA C with a long-term contract was the writing on the wall, as was the whole-sale release of much of the older talent on the roster.

It's sad to see him go, but I'm glad to see him go out on top (and on his feet...).

keg in kc 03-25-2001 06:30 PM

Mark, Grunhard has stated (while hosting a radio show a couple of weeks ago) that he will retire a Chief, and if he doesn't play here next season, he won't play anywhere. And he's staying in the community, he says he loves Kansas City.

PostalChief 03-25-2001 06:36 PM

keg,

OK, obviously I didn't factor age as a relevant reason. I was thinking more along the lines of skill level. I'll take your word on his replacement of Kreutz, but I was thinking more of his blocking technique (I am a O-line homer). Is he more of a pass-blocker or a run-blocker? Or both?

keg in kc 03-25-2001 06:53 PM

Can't give you an answer to that one PC. At 6'3, 285, my guess would be he's pretty athletic, but I'll see if I can't dig up something a little more solid on him.

Some basic stuff on him you may or may not know:[*]He was a 3 year starter at Iowa.[*]He started 15 games for the Bears in '98 and played in all 16.[*]He didn't start at all in '99 after Kreutz (a Pro Bowl alternate that year) beat him out in training camp, but he did play special teams for all 16 games.[*]In 2000, he once again saw playing-time in all 16 games, and started 10 because of the injury to Kreutz.

I will say this, though, we're generally pretty good (IMO) at judging O-line talent, so I'm pretty comfortable that he should be able to do the job for us.

If I can find some rating, etc., on him, I'll post it...

Mosbonian 03-25-2001 06:59 PM

keg:

With not being in KC, and my time on this BB being cut back with the new job, I haven't been able to keep up as much as before.

Thanks for the info.

mmaddog

stevieray 03-25-2001 07:05 PM

I said a long time ago that if Gun was gone, then were so were Hasty, EG, and Grunny....

Maybe after all, this is what was needed...I'm as loyal as the next fan, but when you think about it, maybe this is best for the team. you have tot think that SOMETHING was needed, since the same core of players could not get over the hump.:mad:

tommykat 03-25-2001 07:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey all, but we still have the best.....:D
Whoa #88!!

tommykat 03-25-2001 07:40 PM

OOPS SCREWED UP.......TRY THIS AGAIN...:) OK.....SOMEONE HELP ME...:(

soliday 03-25-2001 07:50 PM

Testing......1.....2........3