ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   No Kill Shelter (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=160710)

Joie 04-03-2007 06:18 PM

No Kill Shelter

Does anyone know of a directory of no kill shelters? One of my friends has a stray cat outside her apartment and we're looking for a humane place that can pick him up. She lives in Council Bluffs, Iowa.

Antifreeze is not an option. :rolleyes:

gblowfish 04-03-2007 06:24 PM

Found this on a Google Search, hope it helps you out.
Thanks for taking care of stray kitties. Hopefully he'll find a good home:
http://solas.networku.net/

Joie 04-03-2007 06:25 PM

Thank you. We tried that. They are a kill shelter.

stlchiefs 04-03-2007 06:25 PM

Yeah send him my way, I just topped off my coolant last night and have a 1/4 a gallon of this green liquid left. I always hate having some leftover.

mike_b_284 04-03-2007 06:30 PM

#
(2)
3 stars out of 5 stars
Rate it:
Sign in to rate!
Write a review
Bluffs China Buffet
(712) 388-0388
1702 W Broadway, Council Bluffs, IA 0.37 mi
Map | Directions | Send to Phone | Save to Collection

...The food was terrible.\u000AI'm not one for wasting food, but the waitress was... more
See all: Restaurants - Chinese Restaurants

gblowfish 04-03-2007 06:30 PM

These folks are located in Lincoln, and might have help for a place in Omaha:
http://www.nebraskaanimalrescue.org/

Simplex3 04-03-2007 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike_b_284
#
(2)
3 stars out of 5 stars
Rate it:
Sign in to rate!
Write a review
Bluffs China Buffet
(712) 388-0388
1702 W Broadway, Council Bluffs, IA 0.37 mi
Map | Directions | Send to Phone | Save to Collection

...The food was terrible.\u000AI'm not one for wasting food, but the waitress was... more
See all: Restaurants - Chinese Restaurants

LMAO

Joie 04-03-2007 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish
These folks are located in Lincoln, and might have help for a place in Omaha:
http://www.nebraskaanimalrescue.org/

Thanks. There's one in Omaha she's going to try also.

alnorth 04-03-2007 06:33 PM

First to answer your question: List of Iowa traditional shelters and no-kill shelters

The problem with no-kill shelters is that they end up refusing a ton of animals. They have to accept only highly-adoptable animals, because if they accept a dog or cat that no one wants, they are stuck with it for life. Space and money is usually limited.

Traditional shelters that are humane and well-funded will accept all animals, give good treatment, and give them a decent chance for adoption, but if its not an adorable young cat or dog, it can be hard.

Given a choice between the two, I usually make my occasional charitable contributions of supplies or cash to the Animal Rescue League of Iowa, which unfortunately does have to use euthanasia.

Good luck, if you can convince a no-kill shelter to accept the cat that would be the best. Otherwise, you may have to keep it or try a newspaper ad or something.

Simplex3 04-03-2007 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stlchiefs
Yeah send him my way, I just topped off my coolant last night and have a 1/4 a gallon of this green liquid left. I always hate having some leftover.

LMAO I have some ice melt and washer fluid. I might also still have some leftover oil from my old weed eater.

We might be past what we can get in just with a funnel. We may have to actually pump it in with some sort of pressurized seal.

How much will a cat stretch, anyway?

Joie 04-03-2007 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth
First to answer your question: List of Iowa traditional shelters and no-kill shelters

The problem with no-kill shelters is that they end up refusing a ton of animals. They have to accept only highly-adoptable animals, because if they accept a dog or cat that no one wants, they are stuck with it for life. Space and money is usually limited.

Traditional shelters that are humane and well-funded will accept all animals, give good treatment, and give them a decent chance for adoption, but if its not an adorable young cat or dog, it can be hard.

Given a choice between the two, I usually make my charitable contributions to the Animal Rescue League of Iowa, which unfortunately does have to use euthanasia.

Good luck, if you can convince a no-kill shelter to accept the cat that would be the best. Otherwise, you may have to keep it or try a newspaper ad or something.

Thank you. There is one in Omaha willing to take him if she can catch him and bring him out. They won't pick him up.

Skyy God 04-03-2007 06:45 PM

"My" cat, Sebastian, was taken (by me, perhaps my subconscious is a little guilty and I'm expressing this by writing in passive tense) to a low kill shelter back in January. The last straw was when he peed on a picture of my parents right in front of me.

Good luck, little buddy. Or RIP, you worthless excuse of a pet.

Simplex3 04-03-2007 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pittsie
"My" cat, Sebastian, was taken (by me, perhaps my subconscious is a little guilty and I'm expressing this by writing in passive tense) to a low kill shelter back in January. The last straw was when he peed on a picture of my parents right in front of me.

Good luck, little buddy. Or RIP, you worthless excuse of a pet.

The only good cat is a......

Skyy God 04-03-2007 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simplex3
The only good cat is a......

The only downside to my new, phat apartment is no dogs. I considered getting a cat for about 2 seconds before remembering this maxim.

I can't paint all cats with the same brush. The other family cat, Mrs. Price, died the week before last of cancer/old age/?. One time I came home inebriated, fell asleep on the couch with my contacts in, and she slept in my arms the entire night.