ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Music ***2013 Edition of Reaper's Favorite Albums of the Year*** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=279828)

NewChief 12-25-2013 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC native (Post 10310874)
Um, no Earl Sweatshirt?????? Doris was way better than A$AP Rocky's album.

I liked Doris, but not better than ASAP.

Pushead2 12-25-2013 10:45 PM

For me Chvrches was my favorite find of 2013 but a solid list you've comprised! Cheers

KC native 12-25-2013 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 10310897)
I liked Doris, but not better than ASAP.

To me, Earl is better in lyrics and delivery than Rocky.

Pitt Gorilla 12-26-2013 12:02 AM

Reaper,

You really should have this published (other than on CP). In terms of new music reviews with a local flavor, there really isn't any better. Get yourself a paycheck, son.

NewChief 12-26-2013 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC native (Post 10310926)
To me, Earl is better in lyrics and delivery than Rocky.

I tend to agree, but the production for Rocky is really good and interesting. I don't really enjoy the production from the OF crew.

Buehler445 12-26-2013 10:21 AM

Good List Reaper. This is a constant reminder of how much music I don't hear.

I was surprised to see 3 country entries in this one. I hadn't heard of Brandy Clark or Jason Isbell. Thank you, sir. Very much

I'm right there with you about country radio. I can't stand it, and it is by far the most listenable radio of any genre in my area. In fact, I hated it so much, I didn't listen to any country for several years. I got into some red dirt and more off the Nashville path bands and got back into country. If you haven't, listen to Turnpike Troubadours. They are good.

Pablo 12-26-2013 02:12 PM

Haven't even listened to ASAP Rocky's album. Might have to do that.

Doris was pretty goddamn good, though.

Pablo 12-26-2013 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo's Pelini (Post 10309845)
As for Yeezus being #2 let me quote Charlemagne Tha God "yeezus was garbage".

Don't give a shit who that dude is. I personally enjoyed the hell out of Yeezus.

Pablo 12-27-2013 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefspants (Post 10306493)

(As an aside, after the release of Sunbather, I can not contain my fangirl-like excitement to see Deafhaven in Lawrence this spring.)

They're touring with BTBAM?

Huh, I should definitely catch that show.

Chiefspants 12-27-2013 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pablo (Post 10312232)
They're touring with BTBAM?

Huh, I should definitely catch that show.

BTBAM will be at the Grenada with Deafheaven, Intronaut, and Kindred on March 7th (a Friday). I haven't been this enthusiastic about a show since Opeth toured with Ghost and Mastodon.

Pablo 12-27-2013 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefspants (Post 10312243)
BTBAM will be at the Grenada with Deafheaven, Intronaut, and Kindred on March 7th (a Friday). I haven't been this enthusiastic about a show since Opeth toured with Ghost and Mastodon.

Understandably so.

I'm a BTBAM fan and have only listened to Deafheaven a little bit, but that's already a very, very solid ticket. I'll have to check out the other two bands.

-King- 12-27-2013 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo's Pelini (Post 10309845)
That's because I sent the album to you this time last year :)

As for Yeezus being #2 let me quote Charlemagne Tha God "yeezus was garbage".

100% this.
Posted via Mobile Device

Reaper16 12-27-2013 12:17 PM

Yeezus doesn't feel like a hip-hop/rap album to me. If that's what you want from it, it will disappoint you. To me, its value comes from being non-generic ('generic' defined here as 'of a genre'). It's got some rapping, some bad auto-tune singing, but its mostly about the production choices. It is a bizarre electronic album held together with a surprising amount of pop sensibility. It was a grower for me, too. It went from 6/10 to 7/10 to 8/10 to 9/10 over the course of the year.

Reaper16 12-27-2013 12:20 PM

I would listen to ASAP Rocky over Earl Sweatshirt ten times out of ten. Earl does nothing for me. I don't enjoy his flow. I don't enjoy the production on Doris (or, really, on any Odd Future output).

ASAP Rocky is not a great rapper. He's got a great ear for beats, and he's just capable enough on the mic to do those beats justice.

KC native 12-28-2013 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 10312788)
I would listen to ASAP Rocky over Earl Sweatshirt ten times out of ten. Earl does nothing for me. I don't enjoy his flow. I don't enjoy the production on Doris (or, really, on any Odd Future output).

ASAP Rocky is not a great rapper. He's got a great ear for beats, and he's just capable enough on the mic to do those beats justice.

:spock:

Earl's flow is probably the best out of the "new" generation (Kendrick, Rocky, etc).

Verse 1 on whoa ****ing kills it.

Quote:

Grab mittens who have to spit blizzardous
Actually flick cigarette ash at bitch ****as
Harassment, eight nickels of hash, delay quick, and then dash
To Saint Nicholas pad to taste venison
Still in the business of smacking up little rappers with
Racquets you play tennis with, hated for bank lifting and
Spraying that hotter wind in the shade of his maimed innocence
Suitcase scented with haze and fileted sentences
Advanced apathy, smashing the man cameras up
Tan khakis and antagonists Dan-dappered up
Vagabond, had it since a Padawan
Rapping hot as **** in cattle brands, wearing flannel thongs
Grab a bong, momma and some food, beer, tag along
Get a nice spanking, new Sears catalog
Send them nettled critics to the bezzle stop, dead and wrong
Get 'em higher than the pitch of metal tea kettle songs
I liked Rocky's album but it has a decidedly more pop-ish vibe. I liked Doris more for that raw throwback to 90's style hip hop where the lyrics and MC dominate the song.