ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Computers Taking the plunge: ATI Digital TV Wonder Card (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=187978)

Braincase 07-27-2008 05:13 PM

Taking the plunge: ATI Digital TV Wonder Card

OK, so now the cable company is going 100% digital. I want to use a computer as a DVR, as I prefer the interface (better than this Linux crap interface I have on the Pace DVR currently supplied by the calbe company).

The solution: Windows Vista Ultimate (yeah, I know some of you guys don't like it, but I know what I'm doing with it).

I'll run Windows Media Services

Get dual ATI Digital TV Wonder cards so I can record and watch seperate concurrent channels.

I'll be able to watch DivX movies through my TV.

I'll be able to watch BlueRay through the computer as well (ordering dual drives).

Burn what I record to DVD.

Install a better quality audio card in the box, or use a firewire based audio solution for better quality audio.

I'll be able to expand to multiple external hard drives as well.

I have a buddy in Indianapolis that is doing the same thing, but he's a DirectTV guy, and bilingual, so he downloads in English and Portugese, and then he uses other PC's and an XBox 360 at Media Extenders to access the recorded content throughout his residence.

What do you all think?

BTW: The ATI Digital TV Wonder card is only available with the purchase of a new computer. There is a switch on the motherboard that must be turned on to support CableCARD's, so you can only get the ATI device through a manufacturer. The Dell XPS 420 supports it.

teedubya 07-27-2008 05:27 PM

I have had an All in Wonder since 2006. Love it.

Hate Vista though. heh. But I would say if ANYONE knew how to get it to do what they wanted... it would be you.

How many Microsoft initials do you have after your name?

Braincase 07-27-2008 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ari Chi3fs (Post 4872980)
I have had an All in Wonder since 2006. Love it.

Hate Vista though. heh. But I would say if ANYONE knew how to get it to do what they wanted... it would be you.

How many Microsoft initials do you have after your name?

MCSE NT 3.50-2003, MCT, (MCP - duh), MCITP:EMA, MCITP:EST... and those are just my Microsoft Certs... I don't include my CompTIA, IBM or Compaq/HP certs... or my SAIR/GNU Linux certs either.

teedubya 07-27-2008 06:02 PM

nice.

TrickyNicky 07-28-2008 08:38 AM

So, do you use your TV to access your computer? Or do you have a separate monitor and you run wires to both? How much per month do you save not renting the DVR from the cable company?

Braincase 07-28-2008 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrickyNicky (Post 4873973)
So, do you use your TV to access your computer? Or do you have a separate monitor and you run wires to both? How much per month do you save not renting the DVR from the cable company?

2x CableCARD rental from Sunflower cablevision @ 4 bucks per month = savings of 7 per month on DVR. Composite out from ATI cards (if HDMI, will purchase new TV) into big screen, Will use TV as monitor, but I could use standard monitor as well.

Need two CableCARDs so I can watch on channel while recording another. Other advantage is direct download capability from NetFlix, cable TV networks.

TrickyNicky 07-28-2008 10:44 AM

Thats pretty good. $3 per month may seem negligible at first glance, but it can definitely add up over a two year period. My parents pay $165 per month for a HD DVR with 3 tiers, phone, and cable internet. I've also tried to run the DVR through my computer to maybe see if I could retrieve recorded Chiefs games, but the USB port on the cable box isn't even activated.

Braincase 07-28-2008 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrickyNicky (Post 4874294)
Thats pretty good. $3 per month may seem negligible at first glance, but it can definitely add up over a two year period. My parents pay $165 per month for a HD DVR with 3 tiers, phone, and cable internet. I've also tried to run the DVR through my computer to maybe see if I could retrieve recorded Chiefs games, but the USB port on the cable box isn't even activated.

I'm still paying for the HD tier, but there will be a huge range of new Internet based viewing based on Windows Media Center. There's 19 new HD channels just on TVTonic. CinemaNow & Vongo are on-demand services... plus there's whatever I can find on elsewhere.