ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs MEDIA REACTIONS: Chiefs Early Draft Losers on NFLN (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=283607)

milkman 05-11-2014 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 10622959)
Not to change the subject but the more I think about Dee Ford, the more I think they're going to have a hard time keeping him OFF the field.

IF he's healthy (and yes, that's a concern), he could be extremely disruptive. He's a better pure pass rusher, athletically, than Hali ever was in college.

Hali was never a pure pass rusher.

He is what he is from sheer desire, effort and hard work.

Dee Ford can really learn a lot from him.

Sully 05-11-2014 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 10622770)
ILB, S, WR, and OL all day over CB.

We have nothing next to DJ, still question marks at FS, our WR set is embarrassing, and we have practice squad players at G. Yet we have Flowers, Smith, and Cooper as our top 3 CBs.

Are we giving up on the kid from Alabama, already?

keg in kc 05-11-2014 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 10622902)
For my part, I'm not suggesting WR wasn't a need.

I'm suggesting that, with the way this offense is structured and the guy we have playing QB, it probably really isn't going to matter.

I don't think one rookie WR was ever going to be the difference between a winning season and a losing one.

And I'm sure you know that you won't EVER see me making excuses for Alex Smith. Even though I've done an about face on him, you still see me fighting against the excuses not for them.

I don't think that point can be emphasized enough. Alex Smith doesn't throw to receivers unless they clear about 5 yards from coverage. He just doesn't. And the scheme is designed around creating space inside the short and intermediate zones. Thomas will probably have as great or greater an impact on the offense as any of the receivers would have for those reasons alone. In this scheme with this quarterback probably the best thing that can happen is Kelce getting and staying healthy and catching 50 or 60 balls down the seam Brent Celek style. This is like the Al Saunders days, where receivers are decoys and blockers first, pulling coverage away from the middle of the field, the offense runs through the tailback and the primary idea is creating mismatches through formation and motion.

I wanted/expected a receiver as much as anyone but the reality is it wouldn't have turned this offense or the guy behind center into anything other than what they are, and it may not have given us any more from the receiver position than what we'll get with who we already have. At least not after Cooks was gone.

jd1020 05-11-2014 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sully (Post 10622963)
Are we giving up on the kid from Alabama, already?

When you have to refer to him as the kid from Alabama in his second year... yup. Career backup.

Bowser 05-11-2014 10:22 AM

I know nothing of the kid we got in the third other than what I've read on here. Great size and numbers, but man was I pulling for us to grab Donte Moncrief there. Perfect over the top guy to open up the intermediate routes.

Oh well. Maybe Hemmingway and Jenkins can take about four or five strides forward this year.

milkman 05-11-2014 10:24 AM

I sure hope Demetrios Harris becomes the next big thing.

htismaqe 05-11-2014 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 10622962)
Hali was never a pure pass rusher.

He is what he is from sheer desire, effort and hard work.

Dee Ford can really learn a lot from him.

That's exactly what I mean. Hali willed himself to where he is.

If even a fraction of that rubs off on Ford, and Ford can stay healthy, Ford could be a special OLB.

htismaqe 05-11-2014 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 10622967)
I don't think that point can be emphasized enough. Alex Smith doesn't throw to receivers unless they clear about 5 yards from coverage. He just doesn't. And the scheme is designed around creating space inside the short and intermediate zones. Thomas will probably have as great or greater an impact on the offense as any of the receivers would have for those reasons alone. In this scheme with this quarterback probably the best thing that can happen is Kelce getting and staying healthy and catching 50 or 60 balls down the seam Brent Celek style. This is like the Al Saunders days, where receivers are decoys and blockers first, pulling coverage away from the middle of the field, the offense runs through the tailback and the primary idea is creating mismatches through formation and motion.

I wanted/expected a receiver as much as anyone but the reality is it wouldn't have turned this offense or the guy behind center into anything other than what they are, and it may not have given us any more from the receiver position than what we'll get with who we already have. At least not after Cooks was gone.

Great post.

htismaqe 05-11-2014 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 10622972)
I know nothing of the kid we got in the third other than what I've read on here. Great size and numbers, but man was I pulling for us to grab Donte Moncrief there. Perfect over the top guy to open up the intermediate routes.

Oh well. Maybe Hemmingway and Jenkins can take about four or five strides forward this year.

For all the hype about Moncrief, he is the epitome of "developmental" prospect.

He's got great measurables and elite potential but he's just raw. He also has concentration issues and doesn't follow the ball all the time - let's passes get in on his body too much.

Considering how much people here bitch about our current crop of WRs, Moncrief would have driven some people batty.

Discuss Thrower 05-11-2014 10:31 AM

The only thing I have a problem with is not getting a tight end. That was a much bigger need than WR.

chiefzilla1501 05-11-2014 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TEX (Post 10622872)
:clap: Well said! You cant have it both ways. If so, then one way is fail (No 2nd round pick this year) if you have 1 long term goal. However, if you have separate goals for each year, (Filling the seats last year) you experience some success and leave fans wondering WTF when you dont build on said success. Bottom line, there were 2 plans, which is fail. Chiefzilla refuses to see that.

I don't think year 1 is fail. I wasn't a fan of the first offseason though. I don't think the chiefs had the option of sledgehammering the team. What they did last year restored arrowhead for the fans and made it a place players will want to sign with. I think the damage last offseason can be easily fixed and this offseason is the start.

jd1020 05-11-2014 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 10622992)
I don't think year 1 is fail. I wasn't a fan of the first offseason though. I don't think the chiefs had the option of sledgehammering the team. What they did last year restored arrowhead for the fans and made it a place players will want to sign with. I think the damage last offseason can be easily fixed and this offseason is the start.

As shown by this offseason with all the players that stayed and joined the team.

htismaqe 05-11-2014 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 10622992)

1) They sure made it a place players would want to sign. Especially guys like Emmanuel Sanders.

2) Why would they care if players want to sign here? They obviously don't intend on signing anybody.

OnTheWarpath15 05-11-2014 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 10622997)
1) They sure made it a place players would want to sign. Especially guys like Emmanuel Sanders.

2) Why would they care if players want to sign here? They obviously don't intend on signing anybody.

This.

Easy 6 05-11-2014 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 10622987)
Great post.

I gotta second that, Keg nailed it.