ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Money It's that time of year, TAX RETURN TIME! (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269484)

DaKCMan AP 01-30-2013 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 9364482)
I looked at my paycheck today, and it it's interesting. About 35 percent of my gross went to taxes and another 17 went to my IRA, so I got home with less than half my gross pay.

Damn... 35%?

After 401k contributions, taxes, medical, LTD & HSA contributions I only take home about 55% of my gross.... but 35% aren't to the government.

Buehler445 01-30-2013 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 9364542)
oh you mean i should put 0 down on a new car and finance it for 5 years?

Heh. Coincidentially, I got pretty close to doing this. I ended up putting 2,000 down on a 3 year note and the car was used, but still. I had enough for about half the cost of the car, and the interest rate was so low that it was going to cost me like $200 to hold on to the rest of the cash.

I probably could have got away with nothing down, but they would have had to re-run the application, so I just put 2,000 down. But hell yes I will maintain the ability to access my money for $200 in interest.

Buehler445 01-30-2013 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 9364618)
Damn... 35%?

After 401k contributions, taxes, medical, LTD & HSA contributions I only take home about 55% of my gross.... but 35% aren't to the government.

You have long term disability?

I'm quite a ways removed from the insurance industry, but why LTD? And why not STD with it? If you don't mind me asking. I'm not criticizing, just curious on the logic.

DaKCMan AP 01-30-2013 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 9364650)
You have long term disability?

I'm quite a ways removed from the insurance industry, but why LTD? And why not STD with it? If you don't mind me asking. I'm not criticizing, just curious on the logic.

The company provides STD to all employees. The LTD is an additional option.

Buehler445 01-30-2013 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 9364656)
The company provides STD to all employees. The LTD is an additional option.

Makes sense.

Perhaps I should be looking into that type of insurance since I'm much more likely to need it in my industry than the normal office job, but at this point, I can't justify the cost.

Are you thinking you are protecting yourself against the car wreck/cancer types of risks?

SAUTO 01-30-2013 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 9364542)
oh you mean i should put 0 down on a new car and finance it for 5 years?

i was thinking more like 7 years, and make sure you borrow some money to put some wheels on it too

DaKCMan AP 01-30-2013 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 9364669)
Makes sense.

Perhaps I should be looking into that type of insurance since I'm much more likely to need it in my industry than the normal office job, but at this point, I can't justify the cost.

Are you thinking you are protecting yourself against the car wreck/cancer types of risks?

Any type of long-term risk that would prevent me from working. I travel often, I live an active lifestyle, I sometimes work around large machinery and hazardous material. Anything can happen.

LTD @ 60% of my annual salary if I can't work anymore is worth the 0.4% of my gross salary that's deducted.

loochy 01-30-2013 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 9364640)
Heh. Coincidentially, I got pretty close to doing this. I ended up putting 2,000 down on a 3 year note and the car was used, but still. I had enough for about half the cost of the car, and the interest rate was so low that it was going to cost me like $200 to hold on to the rest of the cash.

I probably could have got away with nothing down, but they would have had to re-run the application, so I just put 2,000 down. But hell yes I will maintain the ability to access my money for $200 in interest.

Well yeah, if you can get a 0% interest deal or something close to that, do it.

You know what I meant.

loochy 01-30-2013 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 9364684)
i was thinking more like 7 years, and make sure you borrow some money to put some wheels on it too

http://victorstires.net/RIMS/CARROS/...e_corleone.jpg

Buehler445 01-30-2013 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 9364690)
Well yeah, if you can get a 0% interest deal or something close to that, do it.

You know what I meant.

It was 2.0% money and not any special deal or anything. And it is probably a length of loan deal. My buddy looked into financing a car at 6 years instead of 3 and his rates were much higher. I don't remember how long he tied it up for but it wasn't 6.

I just thought it was funny that you were being sarcastic and I just did almost that.

Buehler445 01-30-2013 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 9364693)

ROFL

Buehler445 01-30-2013 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 9364686)
Any type of long-term risk that would prevent me from working. I travel often, I live an active lifestyle, I sometimes work around large machinery and hazardous material. Anything can happen.

LTD @ 60% of my annual salary if I can't work anymore is worth the 0.4% of my gross salary that's deducted.

I may have to look into that some. Although it is really difficult to calculate what you need over the long term with inflation. I've got probably 40 more years of work left and I have a hard time calculating insurance that far out.

Maybe I'll just keep bought up on life insurance and have my wife throw me into a driveshaft if I can't work anymore.

DaKCMan AP 01-30-2013 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 9364723)
It was 2.0% money and not any special deal or anything. And it is probably a length of loan deal. My buddy looked into financing a car at 6 years instead of 3 and his rates were much higher. I don't remember how long he tied it up for but it wasn't 6.

I just thought it was funny that you were being sarcastic and I just did almost that.

Yeah - when I bought my car I put about half down and then financed 5yrs @ 4.24%. This was through the dealer and necessary to get something like $2500 in rebates. After a couple of months I went and refinanced 3yrs @ 1.99%.

Win.

Buehler445 01-30-2013 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 9364824)
Yeah - when I bought my car I put about half down and then financed 5yrs @ 4.24%. This was through the dealer and necessary to get something like $2500 in rebates. After a couple of months I went and refinanced 3yrs @ 1.99%.

Win.

Nice.

DaKCMan AP 01-30-2013 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 9364736)
I may have to look into that some. Although it is really difficult to calculate what you need over the long term with inflation. I've got probably 40 more years of work left and I have a hard time calculating insurance that far out.

Maybe I'll just keep bought up on life insurance and have my wife throw me into a driveshaft if I can't work anymore.

The 60% is just what's offered through our company LTD option. I'm single with no dependents and, at least right now, 60% of my salary is more than my annual expenses. Once I have a family, dependents, etc. it will all change.