ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Home and Auto 1940s Chevy Dealer re-opens to Auction off 500 Time Capsule Cars (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=274267)

ptlyon 07-03-2013 09:22 AM

Wonder if the gas monkey guys will be there

Rain Man 07-03-2013 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptlyon (Post 9790219)
A friend of mine growing up had a Monza with a v8 in it. Had to drop the engine to change the spark plugs. Damn thing was a rocket.

Interesting.

In all seriousness, what do we think a brand new 1980 Monza or brand new Vega station wagon would go for? I can see a market for the 1950s stuff and the 1960s stuff, but I'm wondering how many buyers there will be for the 1970s stuff. Maybe that's my bias showing since those cars were common on the street when I was a kid so I don't think of them as collectible.

ptlyon 07-03-2013 09:26 AM

I wouldn't say much, RM, unless you're taking Pintos

Brando 07-03-2013 09:26 AM

Reminds me of Citation Motors, an abandoned BMW Dealer in Ontario Canada.

Several articles can be found on Jalopnik

More pics here

Some interesting personal stories if you want to sift through 14 pages of posts at maXForums

http://www.autoguide.com/gallery/d/4...own+BMW+07.jpg

DaFace 07-03-2013 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9790224)
Auto restoration guys are going to lose their minds over this stuff.

These are going to be all original, numbers matching vehicles with straight frames and no wear and tear. A restorer can get in there, blast out some rust, polish the paint, tighten up screws/suspension, etc... and have themselves an amazingly rare vehicle.

Those cars will go for a lot and the people that buy them are going to be guys willing to put even more money into them to get them back to showroom new.

One question I have is what they do with it AFTER it's restored. Do you really want to drive a car with 5 miles on it?

DJ's left nut 07-03-2013 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 9790279)
One question I have is what they do with it AFTER it's restored. Do you really want to drive a car with 5 miles on it?

Take it to Mecum. Or to every car show you can find.

No, they'll almost certainly never drive it. In fact, I'd say maybe 10% of the new cars in this auction will ever truly see the road again, apart from maybe a poker run or other charity event.

Rain Man 07-03-2013 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 9790279)

My guess would be that the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety will buy most of them and then crash them into new cars.

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/joMK1WZjP7g?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/joMK1WZjP7g?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

ptlyon 07-03-2013 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 9790287)
My guess would be that the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety will buy most of them and then crash them into new cars.

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/joMK1WZjP7g?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/joMK1WZjP7g?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Thought cash for clunkers ended years ago?

teedubya 07-03-2013 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 9790000)
I'd consider rolling with you if it works with my schedule. Once in a lifetime there.

I may go with you ****ers. This is an insane find. These cars will go for shitloads, and it will be amazing to see.

ChiefsCountry 07-03-2013 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 9790235)
Interesting.

In all seriousness, what do we think a brand new 1980 Monza or brand new Vega station wagon would go for? I can see a market for the 1950s stuff and the 1960s stuff, but I'm wondering how many buyers there will be for the 1970s stuff. Maybe that's my bias showing since those cars were common on the street when I was a kid so I don't think of them as collectible.

That Vette will go in the high 30s I would imagine.

Donger 07-03-2013 09:58 AM

Wow, that's nuts. Couldn't they have put a sheet over them or something, though?

DJ's left nut 07-03-2013 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdcox (Post 9789910)
Only 18 years.

I had a '70 Monte Carlo and a '76 Cutlass both of which I drove well after most of their peers and hit the junk yard. I guess I've burnt myself out on driving out of date cars.

I love my 2012 Mazda3 every day I drive it. It's nothing special in terms of luxury or performance, but is such a pleasure to drive compared to everything else i've ever driven.

I have a 2011 Sonata; great little car. It has the 275 HP turbo and the sport package so it will run like a MFer and turn on rails. All the nav and leather and crap, so it's comfy as well.

That said, all three days this week I brought the '67 Camaro in. Why? It's just an entirely different feeling. No radio, just the exhaust note through the flowmasters. It dances on the road a little and there's harmonic where the exhaust sits in the hangers when you idle, but who cares? You have 400+ HP of road-torching fury at your disposal and even if you don't use it (and I rarely have), it's still just fun to run around town in that thing with the windows down and the sun shining on it.

It's no different than motorcycle days. Sure, the car's easier, safer and cleaner, but some days I just want to be on the bike because it's an entirely different feeling being on the road.

They're not the same creature at all.

Donger 07-03-2013 10:01 AM

What is this one?

http://1-ps.googleusercontent.com/x/...yyl0DoXKbF.jpg

DaFace 07-03-2013 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9790284)
Take it to Mecum. Or to every car show you can find.

No, they'll almost certainly never drive it. In fact, I'd say maybe 10% of the new cars in this auction will ever truly see the road again, apart from maybe a poker run or other charity event.

That makes perfect sense, and yet is sad at the same time.

DJ's left nut 07-03-2013 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 9790301)
That Vette will go in the high 30s I would imagine.

Yeah, those anniversary vettes develop a bit of a following.

And I still think that the late 70's corvettes will find a market in the coming years. Just like the early 80's 911s, I think they're very underrated cars that just never developed a following among collectors.

I think they're great buys if you're looking to get into classic cars and don't want to spend a ton.