ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Archives (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   NFT: Favorite Type Of Cuisine (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=16749)

AJKCFAN 05-06-2001 06:39 PM

It's been talked before here and there, but never has this been raised in a poll.

What is your favorite kind of cuisine?

If you choose "Other", please say which cuisine you like even more than these mentioned.

Frazod 05-06-2001 08:03 PM

There are few things I like about Chicago, but the best thing about living here is the wide variety of restaurant choices. My personal favorites:

1. Thai - Thai rocks - the best oriental food IMO. Gotta have it at least once a week.
2. Ethiopian - no, its not sand on a plate. Excellent, exotic food with a real kick to it. I can't eat it as often as I once did, because its gotten rather hard on my system as I've gotten older. Very rich and spicy.
3. Japanese - primarily the Benihana-type places where the chef cooks at your table. Great stuff. Ironically, my favorite restaurant of this type is Gojos in KC.
4. Indian.
5. A really good medium rare filet mignon topped with sauteed shrooms and an appetizer of oysters Rockafeller. I'm not sure what nationality that falls under.
6. Italian
7. Mexican (as promised in the other thread - just had it for dinner this evening)
8. Greek
9. Chinese
10. Pretty much anything else - I LOVE FOOD!

AJKCFAN 05-06-2001 08:15 PM

Tim:

I'm sorry, man. That last choice was between Thai and Brazilian and thought having Thai with Chinese and Japanese was going to be too much oriental food.

Thai is big in NY too.

I've also heard about Ethiopian food too. What dishes are the ones you'd recommend to this first-timer?

I went with Chinese, but so many are so close. Indian food is outstanding. I too am a hibachi lover and my g/f and I go Japanese most frequently. Italian is never a problem and always fun.

About the steak you mentioned. Sometime soon, I'll have an American food poll. ...

old_geezer 05-06-2001 08:27 PM

Sorry man, I voted other.

If the truth be known, I was born and raised on a farm in Nebraska. There is nothing that makes my mouth water more than a good beef roast and potatoes smothered in gravy. Ummm, Ummm, Ummmm!

I'll eat about anything, but if I'm eating out I usually go for either Mexican or Chinese.

DanT 05-06-2001 08:32 PM

Another good cuisine available in Chicago is Korean. Nice and spicy!

Phobia 05-06-2001 08:41 PM

Brazilian is absolutely amazing but I dig Thai as well. I like every kind of food 'cept twinkies.

Frazod 05-06-2001 08:44 PM

Adam - my favorite Ethiopian dishes are Kitfo and Zighini. Kitfo is steak tartar (raw) spiced all to hell. You can get it browned slightly, which I recommend highly unless you have a cast iron stomach - the raw variety can royally fuck you up if you're not used to it. I personally can't eat it raw anymore. Zighini is cooked beef strips in a spicy sauce. Good dish for a beginner.

Ethiopian meals are communal, and there is no silverware. The dishes are served on a large platter on a type of sourdough flatbread. You tear off a piece of bread and use it to grab the food. I very interesting experience.

Dan, I haven't tried Korean yet. One of these days I will. It's the last oriental food I haven't sampled.

AJKCFAN 05-06-2001 09:21 PM

Tim:

Thanks. Looks like Zighini will be on my plate when I hit Ethiopian, as well as a pitcher of ice water to help quench the thirst. Looks like I'll need it.... :)

Frazod 05-06-2001 09:35 PM

Adam, I don't know if you ever make it up here, but the place I go to for Ethiopian is Mama Desta's Red Sea Restaurant, near the intersection of Clark and Belmont in the Wrigleyville area of Chicago. I'll happily plug the place - it's great.

They also have a great honey wine you should try.

BIG_DADDY 05-07-2001 01:29 PM

BIG DADDY likes:

1. French
2. Italian
3. Japanese - Sushi baby

When I go out to eat I probably do sushi over 50% of time. There are 2 awesome places out here in the bay area. French rarely because it is SO expensive for how much you get.

Alton deFlat 05-07-2001 02:15 PM

Being of Sicilian descent, it has to be Italian. I was eating spaghetti and bagna cauda in the nursery. Ciao!!

58Forever 05-07-2001 03:00 PM

Chief4ever, Piasan, I ama Sicilian too...and I love Italian but when I was growing up it's all I ate...my grandma was old country and she fixed pasta or some kind of Italian dish daily...

My tastes now lean toward anything edible...:D I wonder if that's why I'm overweight?

BBQ, Mexican, Chinese, Italian, I love it all...

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan 05-07-2001 06:47 PM

Give me one from column A, and one from column B

Actually, it's hard to say which is my "favorite", although, since I've started studying Kendo, we do tend to go out for sushi everytime a visiting sensei comes up to visit our practices.

I also am a <b>HUGE</b> fan of Mediterranean food. Greek, Lebanese, Syrian, Arab.... Gyros (schwarma), felafal, dolmethes (stuffed grape leaves), kefthedes (greek meatballs), humus bi tahini with pita bread, baklava (ahh... my favorite holiday food)... (BTW, my wife is 2nd generation Greek, so she has a lot of her grandmother's recipies)

Indian, Mexican, Italian, Chinese, Thai, Czech, Hungarian....

About the only things I'm not too fond of is British cooking and Korean.

Not too bad for a meat and potatoes kind of guy before I joined the Army.

Dang, I just made myself hungry :D

Raiderhater 05-07-2001 06:53 PM

Adam,
no American? I can't vote for my favorite, BBQ. :D Or a thick juicy porter house, smothered in mushrooms and butter. With out American food as an option I have to say it comes down to Italian and Mexican, with Italian probably as my favorite of the two.

Zebedee DuBois 05-07-2001 06:59 PM

I think many of us don't have the oppurtunity to sample all these ethnic foods. I only know of one Indian restaraunt here in Doodah. It is fabulous. I love that stuff.

What is Brazillian food like? That sounds interesting.