ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football First down Laser - Yay or nay (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269203)

Rasputin 01-23-2013 12:54 AM

If it is the same as being at home, then why go to the game? Save money proffit. Just trying to use logic to out scheme the NFL money machine.

ZootedGranny 01-23-2013 12:56 AM

I'm all for eliminating the "human element" (aka errors), but I also value a wide receiver that knows where the first down marker is. Why not implement it on a trial basis during the preseason and see the response?

I'm more interested in the NFL setting regulations that would ensure each game is filmed with the exact same number of cameras and angles. Or syncing replay footage and giving the officials a side by side view of two different angles.

Then again, they don't seem interested in making sure fields are safe to play on, so I don't know what I should expect.

teedubya 01-23-2013 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 9343498)
"First down chains could be eliminated. This could shorten the game while adding extra time for commercials"

Because that is what the NFL needs. More commercials.

Yeah. I was totally blown away by the idea of more commercials. So exciting.

chief52 01-23-2013 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baitism (Post 9343459)
Then we can just put something in the ball that lets you know if it crosses the line. Like a dog shock collar without the shock.

I see both sides. But, anything that makes the game easier for the refs is better for the game, because they are consistently terrible.

That would only work on the goal line. It would not work anywhere else. No way of "the chip" knowing when forward progress was stopped.

BWillie 01-23-2013 01:43 AM

Love the idea....wasting time to measure with a chain is so archaic

EagleRob 01-23-2013 05:20 AM

Well if they're going to do this then they also need the plane of the goal lines extended upward from the field as well so we can know if the ball breaks the plane. The first down laser could be made eye-safe if the divergence was large enough or if face shields filtered the 532 um green wavelength (guessing it would be green due to relatively cheap cost and small size of frequency-doubled Neodymium YAG lasers) but I can't see how it could be projected across the field with 28 sets of feet getting in the way.

CoMoChief 01-23-2013 05:55 AM

IMO this is overdoing it.

There are certain things about watching a live game that you don't want to change.

Canofbier 01-23-2013 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 9343498)
"First down chains could be eliminated. This could shorten the game while adding extra time for commercials"

Because that is what the NFL needs. More commercials.

I think that they say that not in an effort to appeal to you and me, but to the people who would actually be buying the product (league owners, etc).

Brooklyn 01-23-2013 08:59 AM

if it is an actual laser that appears on the field this would also help instant replay. Being a sort of tangible string that traverses the entire field would be a much better reference point than trying to judge the angles of the camera relative to the ball and the markers.

pre-season may be a bit too early to use it, but how about the pro bowl? no one gives a crap about that.

MagicHef 01-23-2013 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chief52 (Post 9343547)
That would only work on the goal line. It would not work anywhere else. No way of "the chip" knowing when forward progress was stopped.

Yes there is. It could work anywhere on the field.

Fat Elvis 01-23-2013 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EagleRob (Post 9343635)
Well if they're going to do this then they also need the plane of the goal lines extended upward from the field as well so we can know if the ball breaks the plane. The first down laser could be made eye-safe if the divergence was large enough or if face shields filtered the 532 um green wavelength (guessing it would be green due to relatively cheap cost and small size of frequency-doubled Neodymium YAG lasers) but I can't see how it could be projected across the field with 28 sets of feet getting in the way.

WTF. Brainy Iggles fan?

Oh and BTW, robots bitches, robots. Or bionics.

Frosty 01-23-2013 10:02 AM

If the officials could actually see the line on the field at the time, I wonder if it would subconsciously affect their ball placement when it was close?

MagicHef 01-23-2013 10:05 AM

Put a sensor in both tips of the ball, assuming each ball is the same shape, we could define the entire outer surface of the ball. Then you could have the furthest downfield point of the ball at any time. Sync it with the video, during replays the ref could freeze it at the moment a player was down/out of bounds, and you would have the exact position of the ball.

DJ's left nut 01-23-2013 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdcox (Post 9343455)
You will see a lot more fumbles as players stretch with the ball to get a first down. At the goal line this isn't as much of an issue since it is a TD once the ball breaks the plane. I think it would hurt the quality of the game.

I also like the fact that, right now, it takes a pretty savvy and alert player to know right where the sticks are at the center of the field and make the dive to reach the first down.

With this, there's just a bright ass green line that even a half-with like Snoop Minnis would be able to pick up.

I hate everything added to the game that detracts from any skill. It's why I don't like automated strike zones in baseball (pitching to an umpires zone is a skill). Knowing exactly where the sticks are and when/how you'll need to reach them without a bright green line running through the center of the field is a skill and I don't want to see that marginalized.

DJ's left nut 01-23-2013 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 9343963)
If the officials could actually see the line on the field at the time, I wonder if it would subconsciously affect their ball placement when it was close?

I don't see how it possibly couldn't.

Yeah, I think this would definitely hurt the game.