ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Paranormal Activity (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=216544)

QuikSsurfer 10-18-2009 10:54 PM

Paranormal Activity

Just got back from seeing this... woah. The last 30 minutes were ridiculously unnerving.
Horror is my bag ,but I am still spooked after seeing this.

http://www.paranormalactivity-movie.com/trailer.html

ModSocks 10-19-2009 10:10 AM

I'm surprised ther isn't more responses in this thread. I heard this movie was very creepy. I plan on seeing it at some point this week.

Fish 10-19-2009 10:14 AM

Really? I've seen the trailer and thought it looked janky as hell. Like a cheesy Blair Witch wannabe...

kepp 10-19-2009 10:20 AM

I'm planning on seeing it soon. I wasn't planning on it because I've soured on the "ghost hunter" type of TV shows, but everyone is saying its great.

NewChief 10-19-2009 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 6187452)
Really? I've seen the trailer and thought it looked janky as hell. Like a cheesy Blair Witch wannabe...

Reviews have been very positive. Evidently it starts out slow then builds until the last 30 minutes are incredibly intense. Even the negative reviews I've read have said the last 30 minutes are very scary.

ModSocks 10-20-2009 10:02 AM

Ok, so i saw this last night.

It's a good movie. A ton of suspense. It takes a little while to get going, but once it gets going it's pretty creepy. I'll admit that even though it's a good film, i was a little disappointed. After reading the reviews and hearing the commentary from some people i know, i really thought it was going to be SCARY. It's not, well, unless you really believe in demonic spirits.

I suggest watching it, it's creepy as hell. Especially the end.

NewChief 10-20-2009 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 6190742)
Ok, so i saw this last night.

It's a good movie. A ton of suspense. It takes a little while to get going, but once it gets going it's pretty creepy. I'll admit that even though it's a good film, i was a little disappointed. After reading the reviews and hearing the commentary from some people i know, i really thought it was going to be SCARY. It's not, well, unless you really believe in demonic spirits.

I suggest watching it, it's creepy as hell. Especially the end.

Yeah, I hate getting hyped up too much for movies, especially scary ones. I'm inevitably disappointed. That happened for The Ring. I would have been much more impressed with it, if I hadn't listened to people talking about how awesomely scary it was for a month before going to see it.

ModSocks 10-20-2009 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewPhin (Post 6190760)
Yeah, I hate getting hyped up too much for movies, especially scary ones. I'm inevitably disappointed. That happened for The Ring. I would have been much more impressed with it, if I hadn't listened to people talking about how awesomely scary it was for a month before going to see it.

Yep, that's exactly what happened for me with this movie. The end of the movie was definatly cool though.

If you liked Blair Witch, you'll like this. Same kind of movie, but i think this one is made much better. Much creepier and it didn't rely on it's marketing. Also, knowing that it was made w/ only a 20K budget also makes me respect the film a bit more. Cool, unique film, but don't believe the hype that it's SCARY.

MVChiefFan 10-20-2009 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 6190808)
Yep, that's exactly what happened for me with this movie. The end of the movie was definatly cool though.

If you liked Blair Witch, you'll like this. Same kind of movie, but i think this one is made much better. Much creepier and it didn't rely on it's marketing. Also, knowing that it was made w/ only a 20K budget also makes me respect the film a bit more. Cool, unique film, but don't believe the hype that it's SCARY.

I'm seriously not being a smartass but what's your definitions of creepy and scary? On one hand you say it's not scary at all but then you also say it's really creepy and creepy as hell. I'm going to go watch it tonight and I'm just curious as to what the difference is.

ModSocks 10-20-2009 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MVChiefFan (Post 6191113)
I'm seriously not being a smartass but what's your definitions of creepy and scary? On one hand you say it's not scary at all but then you also say it's really creepy and creepy as hell. I'm going to go watch it tonight and I'm just curious as to what the difference is.

I define scary as something that startles me. And i don't mean the kind of startle you get when something jumps out at you. I mean the kind you get when something is so freaky to look at that you turn away from it for a second. I know it was a scary movie when i go home and im paranoid when the lights go out. This movie didn't do that to me. Did it to my girl though. She woke me up in the middle of the night because she was freaked out. She claims she had similar experiences to what we saw in the movie. She had her hands over her eyes through most of the movie.

This movie scared the Jesus back into another friend of ours. Literaly. Apparently, (this is according to his sister) after watching the movie, this guy we know was unable to sleep that night. He had to grab his crucifix and re-establish his relationship with god in order to feel comfortable in his own bed again.

This movie didn't have that kind of effect on me. And judging by the crowd's reaction at the end, it didn't have that affect on very many people. But, the movie keeps you going all the way till the end. It has a ton of suspense, and when the aberration makes itself known, it's a trip.

SOMEWHAT OF A SPOILER HERE

It's not scary, because you never actually see anything, really. Which is part of the genious of the movie, and makes it so creepy. Like when you see the footprints in the room. You see footprints going in, but you never see the footprints go out. So you know, whatever it is, is still in the room. But nothing actually ever happens. That kind of creepy, ya know?

Or when the girl wakes up in the middle of the night, stands at the foot of the bed and just stares at her husband for a few hours and then goes back to sleep. That kind of creepy.

It's a great movie. It's well made. I just wouldn't define it as "scary", the same way i wouldn't define Blair Witch as "Scary"

Fish 10-20-2009 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 6191287)
This movie scared the Jesus back into another friend of ours. Literaly. Apparently, (this is according to his sister) after watching the movie, this guy we know was unable to sleep that night. He had to grab his crucifix and re-establish his relationship with god in order to feel comfortable in his own bed again.

ROFL

Seriously?? Over a movie?

MVChiefFan 10-20-2009 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 6191287)
I define scary as something that startles me. And i don't mean the kind of startle you get when something jumps out at you. I mean the kind you get when something is so freaky to look at that you turn away from it for a second. I know it was a scary movie when i go home and im paranoid when the lights go out. This movie didn't do that to me. Did it to my girl though. She woke me up in the middle of the night because she was freaked out. She claims she had similar experiences to what we saw in the movie. She had her hands over her eyes through most of the movie.

This movie didn't have that kind of effect on me. And judging by the crowd's reaction at the end, it didn't have that affect on very many people. But, the movie keeps you going all the way till the end. It has a ton of suspense, and when the aberration makes itself known, it's a trip.

SOMEWHAT OF A SPOILER HERE

It's not scary, because you never actually see anything, really. Which is part of the genious of the movie, and makes it so creepy. Like when you see the footprints in the room. You see footprints going in, but you never see the footprints go out. So you know, whatever it is, is still in the room. But nothing actually ever happens. That kind of creepy, ya know?

Or when the girl wakes up in the middle of the night, stands at the foot of the bed and just stares at her husband for a few hours and then goes back to sleep. That kind of creepy.

It's a great movie. It's well made. I just wouldn't define it as "scary", the same way i wouldn't define Blair Witch as "Scary"

OK, gotcha. I think I understand what your saying. I'm excited to see it though, it should be interesting.

Lzen 10-20-2009 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuikSsurfer (Post 6186824)
Just got back from seeing this... woah. The last 30 minutes were ridiculously unnerving.
Horror is my bag ,but I am still spooked after seeing this.

http://www.paranormalactivity-movie.com/trailer.html

My son came back from watching that last night and said something like he just watched the freakiest scary movie ever.

Pink Paradise 2010 10-20-2009 02:06 PM

i saw that movie the other day, i was on the edge of my seat the whole movie. i could not sleep so well that night. it makes you think though....

CoMoChief 10-20-2009 02:09 PM

This was a ****ing reeruned movie. Much like the Blair Witch Project IMO.