ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Gretz says Kennison is prob out for "Several Weeks" (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=99164)

|Zach| 09-20-2004 11:00 AM

Gretz says Kennison is prob out for "Several Weeks"

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2004/09..._with_offense/

For the second Sunday in a row, the Chiefs lost to a better team. They are now 0-2. The two teams that beat them are now 1-1. So obviously Denver and Carolina are not great teams; just better teams than the Chiefs right now.

Obviously we could spend many words and inches talking about the problems of the Chiefs defense, but at this point, that would seem like piling on. Let’s take this time to look at the offense, and specifically the Chiefs passing game.

Right now, it’s not very good. It’s not anything close to what we’ve come to expect from this offense and these players. Over two games:

• No. 1 receiver Priest Holmes has caught five passes for 14 yards, with a long catch of six yards, with no touchdowns. In the last two seasons, Holmes has averaged five catches and 45 yards per game.

• No. 2 receiver Tony Gonzalez has caught six passes for 80 yards, with no touchdowns. Ever since he became a starter in 1998, Gonzalez has averaged 4.6 catches and 55.6 yards per game.

• The most explosive receiver on the team, Dante Hall, has two catches for 17 yards and he’s carried the ball twice for 15 yards. That’s 32 yards of offense on only four touches in two games.

• Trent Green has completed just 50 percent of his passes, has yet to throw for a touchdown, is averaging only 5.5 yards per attempt and has a QB rating of 53.9. Last year, he completed 63.1 percent of his passes, threw 24 touchdowns, had an average yards per attempt of 7.72 yards and a quarterback rating of 92.6.

• WR Eddie Kennison left Sunday’s game in the first half with a strained hamstring. He’s likely out for several weeks. That put rookie free agent Richard Smith on the field for more plays; he didn’t catch a pass and dropped two, although one was a difficult catch.

In two games, the Chiefs offense has scored only four Holmes rushing touchdowns. For the team that led the NFL in scoring over the last two years, that’s quite a slow start.

So why are the Chiefs suffering on offense? Let us count the ways, for they are many. Injuries are a problem, that being the pre-season injuries to veteran receivers Kennison and Johnnie Morton; the loss of receiver Marc Boerigter for the season and rookie tight end Kris Wilson for half of the year. Opponents have scouted out their screen and short passing game to Holmes and blow up the plays before they even get started. Offensive line play has been inconsistent, especially at the tackles where John Welbourn has struggled and so has Willie Roaf (two holding penalties in two weeks and Carolina’s Mike Rucker was a dominating force in the second half that Roaf could not stop.)

Right now, the Chiefs offensive options appear very limited. Green is forcing things now, trying to make plays, trying to make up ground. Gonzalez is now the receiver he relies on most and opponents know that, and are all over him. Holmes sat out the last several possessions during Sunday’s game, yet Dick Vermeil says he was physically fine in the fourth quarter. So why was he on the sidelines?

Yes, the Chiefs defense is struggling after two games, but that doesn’t come as a great surprise. Not so with the problems of the offense.

The Bad Guy 09-20-2004 11:03 AM

I can't wait for Vermeil to say they aren't interested in Keenan McCardell again.

teedubya 09-20-2004 11:04 AM

damnit ChiefsCountry!! :cuss:

TEX 09-20-2004 11:05 AM

The CHIEFS are in this situation because they failed to address the issue in preseason. We've had WR issues since day one of camp. The CHIEFS did NOTHING as their top 3 went down. Now here we are... :shake:

Richard Smith and Parker are NOT the answers, but they're the ONLY ones we have now. They're the Monty Biesel/Kawika Mitchell of the offense... :shake:

penguinz 09-20-2004 11:05 AM

I say make priest part of the passing game. Who cares if it is not what he wants. Be a team player and carry the f*(&ing team on your back!

Rausch 09-20-2004 11:05 AM

:shake:

ChiTown 09-20-2004 11:06 AM

As if it matters.........We still have Chris Horn and Jeris McIntyre from the Practice Squad :banghead:

The Bad Guy 09-20-2004 11:07 AM

The funny part of all of this is that the problems we had in 2001 are still the same problems we have today.

Vermeil has tried to put a band-aid over a gun shot wound and it's blown up in his face.

teedubya 09-20-2004 11:08 AM

bandaid over a gunshot wound.

haha hahah aha

ROFL so true though. man. :(

BigRedChief 09-20-2004 11:17 AM

Better make the McCardell trade happen now. It's frigging desperation time at WR if you ask me.

HolmeZz 09-20-2004 11:19 AM

There's no better time to make a McCardell trade than now. Both us and Tampa are struggling.

R&GHomer 09-20-2004 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy
The funny part of all of this is that the problems we had in 2001 are still the same problems we have today.

Vermeil has tried to put a band-aid over a gun shot wound and it's blown up in his face.

:thumb: Bingo, give that man a cigar!

Kennison and Morton are average wide outs at best, but the system can work if they are both healthy and giving it 100%. As it stands we are in the same boat as 2001 and it’s apparent in Greens performance. I’m not going to allow myself to Chicken Little just yet, but they had better do something, and do it quick. Hell, I don’t think parker even suited up for yesterday’s game.

Edit: For those that would argue that bringing in Mcardell would be pointless because he doesn’t have any time with the offense, is absurd. Remember how much of a deference it made when we got Kennison half way through the season.

Carl and/or Lamar need to pony up and get Mcardell.

ChiTown 09-20-2004 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R&GHomer
:thumb: Bingo, give that man a cigar!

Kennison and Morton are average wide outs at best, but the system can work if they are both healthy and giving it 100%. As it stands we are in the same boat as 2001 and it’s apparent in Greens performance. I’m not going to allow myself to Chicken Little just yet, but they had better do something, and do it quick. Hell, I don’t think parker even suited up for yesterday’s game.

Samie Parker is injured. We'll see if he comes of the injured list this week.....

jspchief 09-20-2004 11:36 AM

The loss of Kennison doesn't bother me. It may sound crazy. I'm sick of these clowns we call starters. Kennison at his best is only mediocre. I'm ready for Richard Smith to be a starter. I'll put up with the mistakes and drops, because by the end of this year, he'll be at least as good as the best Kennison. I would have preferred it was Morton, but I'll take either to get Smith out there

I haven't given up on this season. I've given up on our WRs. I believe we can still make the play-offs, and the WR spot doesn't make or break it. I'd much rather have Smith with 14 games under his belt than come play-off time, than the two WRs that have shown they have little to offer.

jcroft 09-20-2004 11:40 AM

At the end of the year Smith will be as good as the best Kennison? Can we quote you on that?

I'd love to see what the kid can do, but you're saying he'll be as good as a former first-round pick who has been consistently good (not great) for us the past few years?

I dunno, that's a lot to say on what little we've seen of him.