ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   KU **** Official Kansas at Texas Game Thread **** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269078)

ArrowheadHawk 01-19-2013 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Braincase (Post 9333520)
New term coined at the Lazy Frog - scorgasm... when a successful, game altering score by your team causes at least one person at the table to jump up, bump the table leading to the loss of some/all of a beer on the floor and/or table.

And it was awesome

ChiefBoyRDEE 01-19-2013 04:47 PM

rock chalk

Mr. Laz 01-19-2013 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 9333503)
I honestly dont know why guards dont post up more. McLemore is bigger than most guys that guard him and can jump higher than anybody. Guys like that should occasionally post up to add a wrinkle to their game. Not all game but guards almost NEVER do it in college. As long as you space the floor correctly it could add an extra opportunity to score .

It's not part of our scheme ... our coach doesn't tell/let them post up

Hi-Lo offense sucks

ChiefBoyRDEE 01-19-2013 04:50 PM

how many blocks for Withey today? box i looked at didn't have blocks

Chiefs Pantalones 01-19-2013 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefBoyRDEE (Post 9333548)
how many blocks for Withey today? box i looked at didn't have blocks

Two I believe.

ChiefBoyRDEE 01-19-2013 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefs Pantalones (Post 9333551)
Two I believe.

the dude is a block machine

KC_Connection 01-19-2013 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy (Post 9333432)
Trolling Kansas fans is always a success. Very easy and rewarding.

I suspect it would be more successful if there was really any good material to troll with.

Anyway, with Louisville's loss, KU should be ranked #2 on Tuesday. I'm sure you're delighted about the prospect of knocking off a team that high.

KC_Connection 01-19-2013 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 9333547)
It's not part of our scheme ... our coach doesn't tell/let them post up

Hi-Lo offense sucks

Always funny when Laz bashes the coach/system that's made KU the top program in college basketball over the last decade.

Buehler445 01-19-2013 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 9333399)
Agreed. Texas played pretty well and had a good game plan to limit Withey's effect on them (he's truly our MVP). Their defense is elite and probably the best KU will see all year other than maybe OK. State.

Don't agree with the bolded.

Don't get me wrong, we played like ballsack. And they did apply some pressure in the backcourt in the second half. But all game, I thought their defense was not good. They covered up some plays pretty well, but on the whole, they didn't do much of anything to stop Withey in the post outside of a few no-call fouls and they couldn't stay in front of any of our guards.

I was incredibly frustrated when we quit going inside. Yeah, the refs let a lot of stuff go on both sides down low in most of the second half, but if we could get a decent entry pass, they'd just sell out and foul the **** out of Withey. We completely went away from it for a tremendous period of time. Hell even Ellis had some success down there.

We were lucky to get this one. UT choked hard. HARD. They had us on the ropes, and started throwing balls to us and getting tentative and stupid on defense.

In other news, is there a school that recruits better talent and gets less production out of them? Barnes and Brown need to go.

Saulbadguy 01-19-2013 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 9333591)
I suspect it would be more successful if there was really any good material to troll with.

Anyway, with Louisville's loss, KU should be ranked #2 on Tuesday. I'm sure you're delighted about the prospect of knocking off a team that high.

There's plenty of material, none related to performance of the basketball team.

I don't think you even know what trolling is.

KC_Connection 01-19-2013 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 9333612)
Don't agree with the bolded.

Texas holds teams to a 34.5 FG%, which is the best rate in the country (slightly ahead of KU at 34.8%). That's elite defensively (they're also, as I mentioned last week, 12th in defensive efficiency according to KenPom in the NCAA). There's not really that much shame in a poor offensive performance against them (although they clearly could have done much better, particularly in the turnover department where they were abysmal).

Quote:

I was incredibly frustrated when we quit going inside. Yeah, the refs let a lot of stuff go on both sides down low in most of the second half, but if we could get a decent entry pass, they'd just sell out and foul the **** out of Withey. We completely went away from it for a tremendous period of time. Hell even Ellis had some success down there.
Withey definitely should have gotten the ball more. It's easier for him to score, though, when he isn't getting doubled as he has been for the last month. For the first time today, Self pulled Kevin Young down the stretch (an offensive liability and a player that defenses have begun sagging off of) and went small with Tharpe and it allowed Withey to more easily make those baskets in the post as Texas had to play straight up on EJ, McLemore, Releford, and Tharpe (with their ability to hit open shots.) I suspect we'll be seeing that smaller formation more often now. You take a rebounding/defensive hit, but the offense isn't nearly as stagnant.

Quote:

We were lucky to get this one. UT choked hard. HARD. They had us on the ropes, and started throwing balls to us and getting tentative and stupid on defense.
UT is just awful offensively. The jump shots they were making stopped falling down the stretch and KU turned up the defensive intensity on them and created turnovers at the the worst time for them. I can't see Texas making the tournament this year.

Quote:

In other news, is there a school that recruits better talent and gets less production out of them? Barnes and Brown need to go.
Can't think of too many. UCLA perhaps in recent years.

KC_Connection 01-19-2013 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy (Post 9333625)
There's plenty of material, none related to performance of the basketball team.

I hope you bring something better next time, then, because I wasn't impressed.

Quote:

I don't think you even know what trolling is.
I just watched you fail at doing it for an hour. Indeed, as a former expert at it, I have a pretty good idea.

Ceej 01-19-2013 06:09 PM

Ugly win.

Didn't think they'd come back down by 11.

But, a win on the road is still good.

I will take it.

CoMoChief 01-19-2013 06:13 PM

Good thing about teams that can win ugly is that's sometimes the way you have to win in the NCAA tourney.

But man, this team has really hit a wall offensively. I know TX is good defensively, but this has been some what of a pattern the past couple weeks. They've played extremely sloppy offensively.

But any win is a good win. That was a bad Texas team, but they're young, and they always have talent.

Buehler445 01-19-2013 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 9333643)
Texas holds teams to a 34.5 FG%, which is the best rate in the country (slightly ahead of KU at 34.8%). That's elite defensively (they're also, as I mentioned last week, 12th in defensive efficiency according to KenPom in the NCAA). There's not really that much shame in a poor offensive performance against them (although they clearly could have done much better, particularly in the turnover department where they were abysmal).

Withey definitely should have gotten the ball more. It's easier for him to score, though, when he isn't getting doubled as he has been for the last month. For the first time today, Self pulled Kevin Young down the stretch (an offensive liability and a player that defenses have begun sagging off of) and went small with Tharpe and it allowed Withey to more easily make those baskets in the post as Texas had to play straight up on EJ, McLemore, Releford, and Tharpe (with their ability to hit open shots.) I suspect we'll be seeing that smaller formation more often now. You take a rebounding/defensive hit, but the offense isn't nearly as stagnant.

UT is just awful offensively. The jump shots they were making stopped falling down the stretch and KU turned up the defensive intensity on them and created turnovers at the the worst time for them. I can't see Texas making the tournament this year.

Can't think of too many. UCLA perhaps in recent years.

I haven't paid a lick of attention to UT until today (although I did have a hard chuckle when they got punked by Chaminade LOL). But I don't see how their defense can be all that good when they can't guard a post without selling out and fouling. I mean, Withey is now mad genius with post moves, and he was getting space easily and the dude guarding him or the backside help would just sell out and hack. It is mind boggling.