ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Video Games This might be the greatest zombie game ever made (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=272959)

beach tribe 05-10-2013 06:05 PM

This might be the greatest zombie game ever made

Looks like Im getting back into video games
Go to the link and check this out.
http://kotaku.com/5908753/this-might...game-ever-made
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/A7Q8c8jnL3s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

hometeam 05-10-2013 06:14 PM

DayZ is incredible. Have put LOTS of hours into it.

Im now waiting for the standalone version of DayZ to come out. In fact, I started the DayZ thread on this very forum!

so Q!

Hammock Parties 05-10-2013 06:14 PM

I've heard it's horribly frustrating.

Hammock Parties 05-10-2013 06:15 PM

However, this might be fun if CPers teamed up and made our own zombie killing band o rogues. I'm in?

notorious 05-10-2013 06:20 PM

Looks choppy.

beach tribe 05-10-2013 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 9674120)
Looks choppy.

They are in the process of ironing out all the bugs.

Hammock Parties 05-10-2013 06:30 PM

I expect a full report of your zombie killing adventures this weekend, tribe.

I may join you.

beach tribe 05-10-2013 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wonton Prejudice (Post 9674103)
However, this might be fun if CPers teamed up and made our own zombie killing band o rogues. I'm in?

CP hit squad 25-50 strong? Domination.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1lXXvUIEy2o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

hometeam 05-10-2013 06:43 PM

Dayz performance wise is pretty much as good as its going to get. And it does take a powerful system to run.

DayZ isn't really frustrating because there is no expectation that you are going to keep anything you find. Eventually, no matter what, someone or something is gonna kill your ass, and its back to square one~

DayZ standalone will be going into Alpha soon on the updated Arma # engine, and will be highly modified and be more of the game envisioned. It won't have to work with the glitchy underperforming arma 2 engine.

http://dayzdev.tumblr.com/

beach tribe 05-10-2013 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 9674099)
DayZ is incredible. Have put LOTS of hours into it.

Im now waiting for the standalone version of DayZ to come out. In fact, I started the DayZ thread on this very forum!

so Q!

Zombies look a little too fast. I would rather they went the horde route to maintain difficulty.

beach tribe 05-10-2013 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wonton Prejudice (Post 9674161)
I expect a full report of your zombie killing adventures this weekend, tribe.

I may join you.

I havent played it yet. Gonna start Sunday hopefully.

beach tribe 05-10-2013 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 9674217)
Dayz performance wise is pretty much as good as its going to get. And it does take a powerful system to run.

DayZ isn't really frustrating because there is no expectation that you are going to keep anything you find. Eventually, no matter what, someone or something is gonna kill your ass, and its back to square one~

DayZ standalone will be going into Alpha soon on the updated Arma # engine, and will be highly modified and be more of the game envisioned. It won't have to work with the glitchy underperforming arma 2 engine.

http://dayzdev.tumblr.com/

I see. They kept talking about how it was going to be massively improved.
A whole new engine so Id say yeah.

hometeam 05-10-2013 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beach tribe (Post 9674236)
I see. They kept talking about how it was going to be massively improved.
A whole new engine so Id say yeah.

Yep, zombies are going to be slowed and increased in DayZ the game as compared to the mod.

Because of the limitations in the way Arma2 works, the zombies have to be fast in order to function in any meaningful way.

In DayZ standalone, the game is actually going to have an 'mmo like' server side infrastructure that will stop hacking, allow zombies and items to be spawned on the server instead of the client, and also allowing for slower, smarter, more numerous zombies.

Btw if anyone decides they want to play DayZ shoot me a PM and I will join ~

beach tribe 05-10-2013 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 9674249)
Yep, zombies are going to be slowed and increased in DayZ the game as compared to the mod.

Because of the limitations in the way Arma2 works, the zombies have to be fast in order to function in any meaningful way.

In DayZ standalone, the game is actually going to have an 'mmo like' server side infrastructure that will stop hacking, allow zombies and items to be spawned on the server instead of the client, and also allowing for slower, smarter, more numerous zombies.

Btw if anyone decides they want to play DayZ shoot me a PM and I will join ~

That sounds amazing. Cant wait.

hometeam 05-10-2013 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beach tribe (Post 9674283)
That sounds amazing. Cant wait.

If you click through to the dev blog, and go down a few posts and watch the vids, they show some of the new zombie animations in game, and even a really cool video on how they are doing the mocap for the new zeds~

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NdR9y3oVtZQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ceej 05-10-2013 07:02 PM

Didn't think the trailer was anything exciting.

This coming from a zombie guy.

beach tribe 05-10-2013 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJizzles (Post 9674310)

Go to the link and watch the vids in the subsequent links.

Dayze 05-10-2013 07:14 PM

I ain't skeert of you pussies

Ceej 05-10-2013 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beach tribe (Post 9674352)
Go to the link and watch the vids in the subsequent links.

I just watched the first link on that page.

Still not impressed. I guess it isn't like traditional zombie games. One shot kill, wherever you hit them.

Also, the zombie moans are ****ing annoying. Goodness.

Ceej 05-10-2013 07:43 PM

And in that second video...

Looting = Tebowing. LMAO

QuikSsurfer 05-11-2013 05:51 PM

Welcome to a year ago.. I'm quite sure only 2 or 3 of us on CP have played this game for an extended period of time. Stand alone version should be out soon. I've been holding out on ARMA3
There is quite a learning curve to this game but it is fantastic.

The game isn't really about the zombies... it's about survival and team work.

QuikSsurfer 05-11-2013 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJizzles (Post 9674310)

Well... your favorite zombie game is included in Call of Duty.... so, you really don't have anything to add to this thread. Ya know what I'm sayin?

Mother bitch

Hammock Parties 05-11-2013 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuikSsurfer (Post 9675812)
Welcome to a year ago.. I'm quite sure only 2 or 3 of us on CP have played this game for an extended period of time. Stand alone version should be out soon. I've been holding out on ARMA3
There is quite a learning curve to this game but it is fantastic.

The game isn't really about the zombies... it's about survival and team work.

The standalone version is single player?

What server are you guys on? Or is there only one?

QuikSsurfer 05-11-2013 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wonton Prejudice (Post 9675827)
The standalone version is single player?

What server are you guys on? Or is there only one?

I honestly have no idea of the standalone version will allow a "offline" single player mode... seems kinda opposite of what this game is going for.
I'm playing on a server with about 6 other guys (all from neogaf forums -- you should be aware of that forum if you have any interest in nerdom). We have a mumble channel setup.
There are TONS of servers.. You could start up a server...

Ceej 05-11-2013 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuikSsurfer (Post 9675820)
Well... your favorite zombie game is included in Call of Duty.... so, you really don't have anything to add to this thread. Ya know what I'm sayin?

Mother bitch

WRONG!!

You, much like the Rebels suck a bag of penises.

Hammock Parties 05-11-2013 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuikSsurfer (Post 9675832)
I'm playing on a server with about 6 other guys

So you guys stick together 24/7?

What are the chances of everyone surviving in that kind of group?

hometeam 05-11-2013 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wonton Prejudice (Post 9675847)
So you guys stick together 24/7?

What are the chances of everyone surviving in that kind of group?

Nil.

You.will.die

http://www.apollowebworks.com/atheis...es/emperor.jpg

I play on thelaughingman private hive, usually on server 3 the whitelist server~

Hammock Parties 05-11-2013 07:58 PM

How does a group that big get offed?

Some kind of combination of zombies and asshole players who are scavenging?

hometeam 05-11-2013 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wonton Prejudice (Post 9676203)
How does a group that big get offed?

Some kind of combination of zombies and asshole players who are scavenging?

Players do more than scavenge. There are plenty of groups the same size who will shoot your ass on sight and ask questions later. In fact, every situation with unknown players is tense and likely to end in gunfire at any moment~

Hammock Parties 05-11-2013 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 9676211)
Players do more than scavenge. There are plenty of groups the same size who will shoot your ass on sight and ask questions later. In fact, every situation with unknown players is tense and likely to end in gunfire at any moment~

Amazing. So are you are just as likely to run from a pack of zombies as you are a group of players.

So really the dicks looking to shoot first and ask questions later is what introduces the inevitability of death...

Hammock Parties 05-11-2013 08:03 PM

Has anyone been able to put together their own private army or anything? Would be badass.

hometeam 05-11-2013 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wonton Prejudice (Post 9676214)
Amazing. So are you are just as likely to run from a pack of zombies as you are a group of players.

So really the dicks looking to shoot first and ask questions later is what introduces the inevitability of death...

Yes pretty much. In fact in the mod version, Zeds are pretty much a non factor, except in a firefight. Hopefully, in standalone they will become more of a threat.

I have managed to stay alive for a period of 15 or so days once, playing every day , with plenty of close calls. Ended up dying to a hacker, but during that time I killed 20 or more players, stole several helicopters, vehicles, was shot, hit with an axe, killed a couple hundred zombies etc etc.

Its hard to explain if you havent played it.

If it has not been mentioned, DayZ is 'hardcore' meaning you start with nothing (or something, depending on the server setup) and work your way up. When you die, your dead, and there you are, back on the shore, with nothing~

Hammock Parties 05-11-2013 08:15 PM

How do you die if you can go anywhere in a helicopter?

Run out of fuel and then someone is waiting for you to land and get your ass ganked?

I imagine that makes you a target.

Shit this sounds amazing. I want to be unemployed again so I can play this 16 hours a day.

hometeam 05-11-2013 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wonton Prejudice (Post 9676245)
How do you die if you can go anywhere in a helicopter?

Run out of fuel and then someone is waiting for you to land and get your ass ganked?

I imagine that makes you a target.

Shit this sounds amazing. I want to be unemployed again so I can play this 16 hours a day.

Well yea sort of. First of all, the game is FULL simulation, so that means sound, vehicle and personal damage, FUEL, etc etc. And yes, in many cases all a helicopter is is a bullet magnet :P. It really does not take a whole lot to shoot down a chopper.

Also, ammos, weapons, and mostly VEHICLES are extremely rare, so it takes time, cunning, knoweldge to build yourself up to take down or defend your chopper, should you be able to find one, bring supplies to it to repair, and then survive take off/fuel up/ etc etc

Hammock Parties 05-11-2013 08:22 PM

Do groups keep a chopper hidden somewhere in case they need to make a quick getaway or something? Seems like that might be it's best use.

You can't outfly bullets? Just go high?

How long did you last the first time you played?

hometeam 05-11-2013 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wonton Prejudice (Post 9676262)
Do groups keep a chopper hidden somewhere in case they need to make a quick getaway or something? Seems like that might be it's best use.

You can't outfly bullets? Just go high?

How long did you last the first time you played?

You can outfly bullet to a certain extent, its an extremely detailed game in that regard. And yes absolutely groups will stockpile vehicles in some secluded part of the map, but the maps are persistent, so generally they will eventually get pilfered without a guard or two.

First time I played I had the benefit of watching absured amounts of youtube videos about the game, and I lasted maybe 15 or 20 minutes, think I died to zombies.

Hammock Parties 05-11-2013 08:34 PM

It would be cool if you could build your own city and set up automated defenses.

Hammock Parties 05-11-2013 08:36 PM

This sounds like something you play just to see how long you can survive, and nothing else.

And make no mistake, I'd try to kill every last mother****er I saw.

hometeam 05-11-2013 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wonton Prejudice (Post 9676300)
It would be cool if you could build your own city and set up automated defenses.

Actually...

There are modded versions of the mod, and in some you can set up safehouses that are linked to your account so you can store items etc, automatic defense as far as fences trip wires etc etc.

I prefer the vanilla mod, and a server that starts you out with some basic gear (map, backpack, etc)

yup

hometeam 05-11-2013 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wonton Prejudice (Post 9676304)
This sounds like something you play just to see how long you can survive, and nothing else.

And make no mistake, I'd try to kill every last mother****er I saw.

Yes,

and yes many people do the same. I try to give people the benefit of the doubt but literally any inkling you are ****ing around and I dont hesitate to lay it on~

Hammock Parties 05-11-2013 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 9676308)
Yes,

and yes many people do the same. I try to give people the benefit of the doubt but literally any inkling you are ****ing around and I dont hesitate to lay it on~

Example?

Tell me a story Grandpa Z.

Hammock Parties 05-11-2013 08:41 PM

Does it get boring or is there enough places to explore/loot?

hometeam 05-11-2013 08:44 PM

Want to see some great storytelling using DayZ?

Check out frankieonpcin1080p on youtube. This is his latest, but the earliest episodes are some of the best, as it shows more of the basic aspects of DayZ. Within the first minutes you see part of what DayZ is all about. player interaction.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tbWl_TyXj2g?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

hometeam 05-11-2013 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wonton Prejudice (Post 9676317)
Does it get boring or is there enough places to explore/loot?

The world is quite large, and you start at the southern portion of it when you respawn/die. The map is literal exact satellite translation of part of Russia, and is 139.8 square miles of 100 percent explorable terrain.

There are definitely parts of the map that you get to know, and where people tend to gravitate so you see more often than others. Places like cities, airfields, military bunkers, fuel stations etc

As for stories, I have some. But, if you want to get a feel for DayZ. Youtube it. There is an incredible amount of great DayZ vids and that is how I got hooked in the first place.

Hammock Parties 05-11-2013 08:49 PM

**** it. Downloading Arma 2.

hometeam 05-11-2013 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wonton Prejudice (Post 9676332)
**** it. Downloading Arma 2.

Download DayZ Commander also, allows seamless installation/update server browser for DayZ servers.

Hammock Parties 05-11-2013 08:55 PM

Is it best to kill every zombie you see, or just the ones that attack/get in your way?

Hammock Parties 05-11-2013 09:00 PM

All I need is Arma II to start out, right?

hometeam 05-11-2013 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wonton Prejudice (Post 9676354)
All I need is Arma II to start out, right?

arma 2 and expansions. And you need a legit CD key I believe

hometeam 05-11-2013 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wonton Prejudice (Post 9676344)
Is it best to kill every zombie you see, or just the ones that attack/get in your way?

Well, you don't want to kill them unless they are really ****ing with you, you want to try and avoid them. If you open fire with a non silenced weapon you will sound find yourself surrounded by even more zombies, sound is a major part of zed aggro.

If i want to kill zeds, I generally use the axe, and it is quite effective but if I have a rifle the ax goes away.

007 05-11-2013 09:05 PM

Why is america so damn obsessed with zombies?

Hammock Parties 05-11-2013 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 9676363)
arma 2 and expansions. And you need a legit CD key I believe

I'm steaming it up.

hometeam 05-11-2013 09:12 PM

http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/

Sorter 05-11-2013 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 9676368)

Because it allows killing something and having it be universally justified.

Hammock Parties 05-11-2013 09:20 PM

LOL people will tell you to give up your stuff and they let you live.

Awesome.

bowener 05-11-2013 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 9676368)

Because they can represent almost anything in your life/world.

A lot of literature on this subject actually. Google around.

Hammock Parties 05-11-2013 09:28 PM

Pretty sure I just saw some random poor sap get run over by a guy in a car in one of those videos.

Hammock Parties 05-11-2013 09:33 PM

LMAO he stole their ****ing SUV while they tried to hunt him down in the dark.

Hammock Parties 05-11-2013 09:37 PM

So how do you stop someone from stealing a vehicle while you're logged out?

hometeam 05-11-2013 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wonton Prejudice (Post 9676420)
So how do you stop someone from stealing a vehicle while you're logged out?

You dont.

Hammock Parties 05-12-2013 12:42 AM

I had to drop my goddamn gun and ammo to use the flashlight? WTF? That's some gay ass shit.

Now suddenly the gun and ammo has disappeared.

Horrible unintuitive. A tutorial woulda been nice.

QuikSsurfer 05-12-2013 01:02 AM

The tutorial is in Arma 2, assclown.
And yes, download dayz commander. We should all meet up on a new server... And no, I really trust no one in this game. You learn that.

Hammock Parties 05-12-2013 01:05 AM

I can't believe I had to drop my gun just to use a flashlight.

And then my gun and ammo disappeared while they were on the ground.

WTF

Hammock Parties 05-12-2013 01:16 AM

I have no ****ing clue how to use inventory items. Dragging and dropping doesn't work? WTF I'm bleeding out. How do I use this bandage?

edit: nevermind, ****ing right click bullshit

QuikSsurfer 05-12-2013 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wonton Prejudice (Post 9676591)
I have no ****ing clue how to use inventory items. Dragging and dropping doesn't work? WTF I'm bleeding out. How do I use this bandage?

edit: nevermind, ****ing right click bullshit

All rightclick and mouse wheel scroll for inventory and other jazz... Yeah, it takes some getting used to and it's buggy as shit.
There are actual youtube videos up on how to equip and use your flashlight...
For instance, if you have a hatchet equipped, you'd need to put the hatchet on your toolbelt, then equip the flashlight... then the weapon doesn't disappear.
Either way, tough the shit out until the standalone.

Again, use your mouse scroll wheel for just about everything "looting" and "action" wise.

Fish 05-12-2013 09:52 AM

I really like the idea. But the fact that you can't leave the game, else bad things happen is a serious drawback. That would be too frustrating to deal with. I might try the standalone though...

hometeam 05-12-2013 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 9676822)
I really like the idea. But the fact that you can't leave the game, else bad things happen is a serious drawback. That would be too frustrating to deal with. I might try the standalone though...

Persistent world like many games. Dont worry about that sort of thing, as you will not get attached to any items for long.

As for controls, they can seem a bit clunky at first, and the game does have a steep learning curve. As I said before. You.Will.Die . The standalone version is set for a June 'meeting' if the meeting goes well, the alpha will be released to the public at a reduced price. There you will see your MMO like server/client system, drag/drop inventory, and tons of other improvement.

beach tribe 05-12-2013 10:44 AM

I heard you have to eat and drink to survive too. Is that true.

beach tribe 05-12-2013 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 9676822)

In one video they parked the chopper on top of a building that had no roof access so no one could get it.

hometeam 05-12-2013 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beach tribe (Post 9676883)
I heard you have to eat and drink to survive too. Is that true.

Oh yes, and many times, if I'm in 'survival mode' I will keep to the forests and such until I get to the point where I am very thirsty and hungry, and I will venture down into a small town or gas station or even city to find food and drink. This is when Zed and player encounters are more likely to occur, and your chance of death increases greatly.

When you sprint you use up your food and water meters faster etc.. as I said, the game is FULL simulation. Fall off something? Break your leg. Crawl for help unlesss you have morphine etc etc

notorious 05-12-2013 11:29 AM

JIZZ

notorious 05-12-2013 11:49 AM

http://i.imgur.com/uyB7D.jpg

notorious 05-12-2013 01:36 PM

Alright, I am close to taking the leap.

The combo pack of Arma is $25. I am assuming this is required.

My only worry is internet speed. I only have DSL, and wireless at that. Do I need run a direct line to the computer to have a chance to compete?

salame 05-12-2013 01:37 PM

is it free?

notorious 05-12-2013 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salame (Post 9677221)
is it free?

The mod is. I don't think the base game Arma 2 is.

Hammock Parties 05-12-2013 01:53 PM

Can someone recommend a server to play on?

I tried 3 different serves last night and each time it was something different. I thought I would log on with the same character each time.

< noob tard

Hammock Parties 05-12-2013 01:58 PM

Playing at night seems completely pointless if you don't have a vehicle BTW.

However I can see the benefit for higher level players. Good time to avoid the crowds, use night vision, move around without fear of getting shot.

QuikSsurfer 05-12-2013 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 9677218)
Alright, I am close to taking the leap.

The combo pack of Arma is $25. I am assuming this is required.

My only worry is internet speed. I only have DSL, and wireless at that. Do I need run a direct line to the computer to have a chance to compete?

What's your internet speed?

ALSO EVERYONE JUST NOW JUMPING IN DOWNLOAD DAYZ COMMANDER
http://www.dayzcommander.com/ (download link is at bottom left of page)

And go ahead and bookmark this page http://dayzdb.com/map#4.053.129 (you will be alt-tabing) out of the game frequently... until you get a map and compass.. And hopefully you know how to read a real map ;)

Download this after you have everything installed and update it. It will help you filter through servers and keep your DayZ up to date for you.

Yes this is a hardcore survival game. There are plenty of towns with loot but the world is HUGE.. A lot of times you will be jogging through the woods and won't see anyone for 10 minutes (but you have to drink a pepsi because your thirst icon is flashing red).
And trust no other human in-game unless you know them.

ALL OF YOU WATCH THIS VIDEObecause it could happen to anyone new playing the game and is too trustworthy. Heh, read the description in the video. "I spawned in Elektro. Ran into the fire house. I stopped Because I heard the sounds of a bus horn. I rushed outside Yelled "Friendly" and got on a bus for what I thought was going to be a good time. This is my Dayz story." skip to 4:10 if you're impatient

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/oQQ4N1kMv9o?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rausch 05-12-2013 02:20 PM

Ok, how many CP members online now?

I've wanted a good CP dominant presence on a game for a while now...

notorious 05-12-2013 02:22 PM

Download speed - 2.78 mb/s

Upload speed - .68 mb/s