ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Misc Ethical and/or Moral dilemma (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=298173)

bowener 02-11-2016 12:11 AM

Ethical and/or Moral dilemma

A few months back my girlfriend and I took in a friend in need. To make a long story short the guy owned a 1 year old husky mix and an adult cat. This guy has had a pretty hard life growing up. His ex gave him a 3 month old husky mix as a gift, then broke up with him about a month later. He never asked for it, and after they split was never really able to take care of it. He is an emotional mess and pretty much sleeps all the time except for when he is working.

Last week, after his dog pissed all over our house, and he realized everybody was better off if the dog went to a better home. The dog has a better home now, and some pretty awesome new owners. About two days after the dog left our house his cat ran outside while we let our own dogs out. His cat is not an outdoor cat. My girlfriend and I put up flyers for it today (he hasn't made an effort to find it in any fashion), but while putting up flyers we discovered the deceased cat in some brush by the road.

We are beyond torn on what to do. Currently his cat is wrapped up in a towel in my garage, and I really don't want to tell him, even though that is the easiest thing to do. I really don't know if this guy can handle more shit on his already large pile of shit he calls a life. I already found a dead cat today, and I really don't want to find a dead roommate another day.

tl;dr: Roommate is a broken depressed human that had to give up his dog, and now lost his cat forever. Do I tell this poor soul, or let him have false hope?

TimBone 02-11-2016 12:13 AM

If he cared a lot about the cat, why, as you mentioned, did he not put any effort at all into finding it?

TimBone 02-11-2016 12:14 AM

Either way though, I'd tell him. He's an adult, he deserves not to be deceived.

Pasta Little Brioni 02-11-2016 12:14 AM

It's probably better to tell him than have him worried bout the thing.

bowener 02-11-2016 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimBone (Post 12076282)
If he cared a lot about the cat, why, as you mentioned, did he not put any effort at all into finding it?

Honestly, I think because he is so depressed. Even before his cat went missing he pretty much sleeps every day away. He goes to work, comes home, then sleeps until he has to work again. When the dog was given away he told me he was happy it was going to where it would be better off, and that he at least got to keep his cat, which he loved more since he had it longer.

TimBone 02-11-2016 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowener (Post 12076285)
Honestly, I think because he is so depressed. Even before his cat went missing he pretty much sleeps every day away. He goes to work, comes home, then sleeps until he has to work again. When the dog was given away he told me he was happy it was going to where it would be better off, and that he at least got to keep his cat, which he loved more since he had it longer.

Sheesh...so it is gonna bum him out big time.

Still though, he's an adult, I wouldn't hide it from him.

bowener 02-11-2016 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimBone (Post 12076286)
Sheesh...so it is gonna bum him out big time.

Still though, he's an adult, I wouldn't hide it from him.

Yep. I'm capable of telling him the truth, but I honestly have no idea what is best for him. Right now he thinks it is probably catnapped by a neighbor (happened to ours a month ago actually). His cat was super ****ing sweet and loves everything so it seemed quite plausible.

To make it all worse, my girlfriend feels responsible sense that cat ran out while she let our dogs out.

Ming the Merciless 02-11-2016 12:20 AM

Put the cat in the freezer and tell him later on, maybe in a few months

TribalElder 02-11-2016 12:20 AM

You should keep the cat and show it to him after you find out your girlfriend sympathy ****ed him one day while you were out.

stumppy 02-11-2016 12:21 AM

The truth.....always the truth.

tk13 02-11-2016 12:30 AM

Telling him would be brutal, no doubt... but even if you don't, he's still going to be worried about and it's not going to put him in a very good mood.

BlackOp 02-11-2016 12:36 AM

If the guy is in a bad place...I'd hold off. Nothing is going to change if he knows tomorrow or in 6 months.

Toby Waller 02-11-2016 12:48 AM

****ing tell him the cat died.
He's depressed because he list a woman. I'm a sensitive guy and I'm not thaaaat stupid. Seriously? This isn't a problem. Get another damn cat.

Toby Waller 02-11-2016 12:53 AM

An ethical, moral dilemma is cheating on someone or stealing something. This is. .dude,sorry, we found the cat dead, dinner is ready at 6

Pasta Little Brioni 02-11-2016 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TribalElder (Post 12076290)
You should keep the cat and show it to him after you find out your girlfriend sympathy ****ed him one day while you were out.

God love CP ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL