ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Medical tourism and ACL surgery (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=349351)

Mephistopheles Janx 07-12-2023 01:39 PM

Medical tourism and ACL surgery

Has anyone here ever gone to another country for a medical procedure? If so, please share your experience if you are willing.

For those who have had an ACL repaired… can you tell me what I might be in for?

Long story short… I have no medical insurance and a torn ligament in my knee. Looking around and I find that I can get my ACL repaired AND stay a week in an all inclusive resort in Costa Rica for about 35% of the cost of doing it here in the US.

Even less in the Dominican Republic.

I’m leaning towards Costa Rica because they have world class medical centers there though vs in the DR where they are working with equipment from the 80s and 90s.

Mecca 07-12-2023 01:40 PM

My son had his ACL done, technology has advanced pretty seriously in that regard, if you had any questions you can ask, even the scar you get for a total ACL reconstruction is no longer the full flayed open knee.

Chiefspants 07-12-2023 01:41 PM

I have a cousin who did this in Europe. She had a great experience with the doctors, got world class accommodations, and saved about 100K.

Just be careful on the way home, she got COVID on the flight back and it really complicated her recovery.

Mecca 07-12-2023 01:42 PM

Just know with an ACL you are going to be completely non weight bearing for a minimum of 2-4 weeks so that will make flying difficult etc.

Also depends on the surgery if you have meniscus repair it's 6 weeks, you'd have to elaborate a bit.

loochy 07-12-2023 01:43 PM

Recovery from a major surgery is generally hell though. No way I'd want to be anywhere but near home for that.

Mecca 07-12-2023 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 17014425)
Recovery from a major surgery is generally hell though. No way I'd want to be anywhere but near home for that.

The ACL one actually isn't that bad anymore...I ruptured my proximal hamstring tendon, my wife did the achillies and my son did the ACL. He by far had the easiest recovery.

staylor26 07-12-2023 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 17014426)
The ACL one actually isn't that bad anymore...I ruptured my proximal hamstring tendon, my wife did the achillies and my son did the ACL. He by far had the easiest recovery.

JFC what are you doing in your house as a family?

ptlyon 07-12-2023 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 17014428)

They're bakers

Mecca 07-12-2023 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 17014428)

LOL yea I know sounds bad.

But to answer the question

I slipped on ice and landed wrong

Wife ended up with a bone spur under her achillies, like Eric Berry and my son did it playing rugby in college.

staylor26 07-12-2023 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 17014430)
LOL yea I know sounds bad.

Do you all have a royal rumble instead of a family dinner?

Mecca 07-12-2023 01:52 PM

Also the idea of this is fine plenty of people do it. Research the doctor and facility, you can most likely go for 2 weeks and the flight stay and surgery will be cheaper than your cost after insurance here.

loochy 07-12-2023 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 17014426)

Could your son have bent his knee and squeezed into a commercial airline seat a week after surgery?

loochy 07-12-2023 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mephistopheles Janx (Post 17014414)
Has anyone here ever gone to another country for a medical procedure? If so, please share your experience if you are willing.

For those who have had an ACL repaired… can you tell me what I might be in for?

Long story short… I have no medical insurance and a torn ligament in my knee. Looking around and I find that I can get my ACL repaired AND stay a week in an all inclusive resort in Costa Rica for about 35% of the cost of doing it here in the US.

Even less in the Dominican Republic.

I’m leaning towards Costa Rica because they have world class medical centers there though vs in the DR where they are working with equipment from the 80s and 90s.

Can't you just sign up for some quick obamacare (because you can;t be denied for pre-existing), get your surgery, and then unenroll?

Mecca 07-12-2023 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 17014443)
Could you have bent your knee and squeezed into a commercial airline seat?

With the proximal? No way the surgery is right under your ass cheek an airplane seat would have absolutely killed me with how uncomfortable that would have been.

My son could have, the doctor told him, he would have been able to walk within a week but he had meniscus repair which extends the non weight bearing time.

loochy 07-12-2023 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 17014448)
With the proximal? No way the surgery is right under your ass cheek an airplane seat would have absolutely killed me with how uncomfortable that would have been.

My son could have, the doctor told him, he would have been able to walk within a week but he had meniscus repair which extends the non weight bearing time.

I typed it wrong, but i meant your son.