ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV The Monuments Men (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=275181)

keg in kc 08-08-2013 03:14 PM

The Monuments Men

George Clooney, Matt Damon, Bill Murray, John Goodman and Cate Blanchett...

Synopsis for those who aren't familiar with the book upon which it was based:
Quote:

Based on the true story of the greatest treasure hunt in history, The Monuments Men is an action-thriller focusing on an unlikely World War II platoon, tasked by FDR with going into Germany to rescue artistic masterpieces from Nazi thieves and returning them to their rightful owners. It would be an impossible mission: with the art trapped behind enemy lines, and with the German army under orders to destroy everything as the Reich fell, how could these guys – seven museum directors, curators, and art historians, all more familiar with Michelangelo than the M-1 – possibly hope to succeed? But as the Monuments Men, as they were called, found themselves in a race against time to avoid the destruction of 1000 years of culture, they would risk their lives to protect and defend mankind’s greatest achievements.
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/CreneTs7sGs?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Opens December 18th

Red Brooklyn 08-08-2013 03:18 PM

And Clooney directed? Which means I'm all in.

Buehler445 08-08-2013 05:37 PM

Looks good.

Halfcan 08-08-2013 05:50 PM

Great story-unfortunately Russia recovered most of the art and never gave it back.

unlurking 08-08-2013 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 9868579)
And Clooney directed? Which means I'm all in.

The only thing I've seen that he directed was Leatherman, which I wasn't all that fond of. Looks good though. Story sounds pretty cool too.

Red Brooklyn 08-09-2013 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 9869321)
The only thing I've seen that he directed was Leatherman, which I wasn't all that fond of. Looks good though. Story sounds pretty cool too.

Leathermen suffered, I think, from an uneven script. But I really like the way it was directed. But check out Confessions of a Dangerous Mind. Clooney knocks that one out of the park. I also really liked Ides of March, though I know a lot of people didn't.

I think Clooney's a better director than he is an actor. And I think he's a damn fine actor.

Either way, yes, I think this looks really good. Very compelling story.

Deberg_1990 10-24-2013 04:54 PM

This got kicked back till next year. That blows. I remember the same thing happened to Clooneys Leathernecks movie a few years ago. That turned out pretty blah....but who knows?

Baby Lee 10-24-2013 06:02 PM

In the same vein, sort of. But regardless a masterpiece.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059825/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

The Train, with Burt Lancaster.

Based on true events.

Effort to stop a train loaded with antiquities and masterworks heading out of France to Germany. Have to stop the train and secure the works without destroying them in the process.

Notable for large scale scenes from before CGI and green screens [won't detail them to preserve the suspense, but many are awesome].

gblowfish 02-17-2014 02:27 PM

The KC Star only gave this movie 1.5 stars. I saw it last night and enjoyed it very much. It's not a film masterpiece, but very entertaining two hours. Bill Murray is really good.

Pitt Gorilla 02-17-2014 03:11 PM

John Goodman, RIP.

TheUte 02-17-2014 05:31 PM

Just got back from the theater, it's a good flick.
Not the greatest or anything, but Would recommend.

Zebedee DuBois 02-17-2014 08:05 PM

Saw this about 10 days ago. It is just sort of underwhelming. There are three or four times were Clooney does a soliloquy, and they all seem a bit heavy handed or preachy. It's an all star cast, and they each turn in some nice moments, but in the end it seems shallow.

Clooney fans will like it.

Kylo Ren 02-17-2014 08:18 PM

Mr. Dalrymple was pretty good....

bowener 02-18-2014 02:37 PM

Saw it last week when it came out. I wish I hadn't. Big miss by Clooney. Felt flat throughout the film with very little drama. I never felt anything for any character and didn't care when anything bad happened. Disappointed after expecting some pretty good things from this cast and story. I like Clooney a lot, but this felt like one long monologue given by him to the audience about the importance of art for humanity. While I do not disagree with him, he could have presented that message in much better fashion.

Deberg_1990 02-18-2014 05:23 PM

I really dont think Clooney is a very good director at all. His movies are boring to me. He lacks pacing and rhythm for whatever reason.

Looking at the box office, this has actually made a decent amount of coin.