ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Goodell enforcing more stupid rules to make the game less fun (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=275121)

RunKC 08-06-2013 06:38 PM

Goodell enforcing more stupid rules to make the game less fun

Didn't see this posted anywhere, and if so **** it. This deserves its own thread.

No dancing, salutes or spinning ball: NFL cracks down on celebrating
By Will Brinson | NFL Writer
August 6, 2013 1:39 pm ET

The NFL is cracking down on ball-spinning celebrations in 2013. (USATSI)
Steve Smith hasn't really lost a step at the age of 34 -- and he'll tell you as much -- but he might have to figure out a new celebration this season. That's because the NFL will apparently emphasize cracking down against spinning the ball and a number of other player celebrations.

Michael David Smith of Pro Football Talk first pieced together the fact that multiple officials around the league are informing players that spinning the ball in celebration next year could result in a 15-yard penalty.

It's not necessarily a new rule per se, however: "throwing or shoving the ball" already fell under unsportsmanlike penalties in 2012.

Additionally, an NFL spokesperson told Deadspin.com that the league doesn't intend to penalize players who spin the ball in celebration after a touchdown, only on the actual field of play.

Unfortunately for a player like the Panthers' Smith, it's kind of his signature move. He said he'd be willing to make a change or "alter' his spin to comply with the rules however.

“We're working it out,” said Smith said when asked about how he'd handle the change.

There will be LOTS of outrage over the NFL cracking down on players engaging in these sorts of celebrationsl. Some of it is justified: spinning the ball is a cool celebration, requires some skill and is relatively harmless. Spinning the ball -- or spiking it, throwing it, shoving it and pointing it -- is not like making a throat-slashing gesture, which seems forbidden for good reason.

But as long as the league is fine with players spinning after a touchdown, I've got no problem with this, frankly. We don't need someone spinning the ball every single time they pick up a first down. Save the celebrations for the end zone.

Dayze 08-06-2013 06:40 PM

I thought the HOF game looked different. I commented in that thread too. Shit my wife even noticed it.

I like it.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 08-06-2013 06:43 PM

Dumb

Hammock Parties 08-06-2013 06:44 PM

No more Tamba posing.

kysirsoze 08-06-2013 06:45 PM

Really glad Goodell is standing up for that 1% of the fanbase that is so ****ing aggressively lame that they cannot stand the sight of people having fun. It's about damn time.

Mav 08-06-2013 06:46 PM

Wait, in a country that embraces the military, now you are going to ban the SALUTE?

GTFOH with that noise. The first time a ref penalizes a player for saluting, I hope a bunch of vets run out of the stands and beat his ass into oblivion.

TribalElder 08-06-2013 06:47 PM

This year will be odd. I think people will come unglued when the running back gets an unnecessary roughness penalty for leading with the crown of the helmet.

Moar rule.. Derp

notorious 08-06-2013 06:47 PM

What about Sammie Parker's celebration?!

Easy 6 08-06-2013 06:47 PM

I HATE IT.

No, we dont need five minute long dances in the end zone, or after every sack... but every, single, simple little gesture needs to be squashed?

For every good thing this jackass does, he totally jacks up three... i hope and pray he doesnt last as long as Rozell or Tagliabue.

Easy 6 08-06-2013 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kysirsoze (Post 9863561)
Really glad Goodell is standing up for that 1% of the fanbase that is so ****ing aggressively lame that they cannot stand the sight of people having fun. It's about damn time.

This, too.

That guy can go fist himself.

DeezNutz 08-06-2013 06:49 PM

Goodell is a ****ing clown and one of the biggest hypocrites in sports.

cdcox 08-06-2013 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 9863539)

No dancing, salutes or spinning ball: NFL cracks down on celebrating

Broncos SB wins are further tainted.

KCrockaholic 08-06-2013 06:53 PM

I hate that piece of shit. Goodell is the worst commissioner in sports. Eat a bag of cocks Goodell.

Easy 6 08-06-2013 06:55 PM

Next up... high fives and butt smacks from coaches...

One is too arrogant, the other too gay... they gotta go.

Buehler445 08-06-2013 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 9863570)
Goodell is a ****ing clown and one of the biggest hypocrites in sports.

Ayep.

Hammock Parties 08-06-2013 06:57 PM

This means no more of this.

http://usdirect.com/wp-content/uploa...eWee-Dance.gif

And that ****ing sucks.

NJChiefsFan 08-06-2013 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Smith HATER (Post 9863587)

And that ****ing sucks.

Yeah it does.

Bwana 08-06-2013 07:02 PM

What a complete load of horse shit.

Easy 6 08-06-2013 07:05 PM

Would Chiefsplanet be outraged enough to flood the NFL inbox about this?

Probably wont matter, but i personally, have had just about enough of this guys high hand... seriously, what IS he trying to make this fast, violent, wild sport into?

If he wants MLB, go commish that, you turd.

I'm genuinely sick of it and will fire off an extremely strong, yet non-vulgar post to the "Commish" no later than end of business tomorrow, swear on my Grandpas... he needs to hear about this.

Bugeater 08-06-2013 07:08 PM

Quote:

And that ****ing sucks.

I think I'm ok with not ever seeing that again.

jspchief 08-06-2013 07:08 PM

Hopefully Johnny Morton's grenade is safe.

Hammock Parties 08-06-2013 07:09 PM

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.n...00693129_n.jpg

jd1020 08-06-2013 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 9863621)
I think I'm ok with not ever seeing that again.

Not a Pee Wee Herman fan huh?

jd1020 08-06-2013 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Smith HATER (Post 9863626)

I don't really have a problem with banning spiking the ball and shit during play (not including TDs) but the rest of that shit is just stupid... No pointing to signify a firstdown? Awesome!

TribalElder 08-06-2013 07:12 PM

Quote:

Seriously

What about the ickey shuffle it violates multiple rules

Bring back the ickey shuffle

Bugeater 08-06-2013 07:12 PM

Quote:

Does Tony G's dunk fall into any of those categories?

jd1020 08-06-2013 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 9863635)
Does Tony G's dunk fall into any of those categories?

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 9863539)
Additionally, an NFL spokesperson told Deadspin.com that the league doesn't intend to penalize players who spin the ball in celebration after a touchdown, only on the actual field of play.

I'm going to go ahead and say no.

TribalElder 08-06-2013 07:15 PM

It's a way for the refs to award the donkeys a first down when Tamba does the bird man over mannings lifeless body

Frazod 08-06-2013 07:18 PM

Quote:

While I hate some of the punkish extremes celebrating has gone to, this is ridiculous.

Goodell is a complete ****ing clown. :shake:

Iowanian 08-06-2013 07:18 PM

These are professionals. Professionals should be able to celebrate within reason.

jd1020 08-06-2013 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iowanian (Post 9863658)
These are professionals. Professionals should be able to celebrate within reason.

Ya.

Some of those bans I understand like verbal taunting, standing over a player, and anything to do with throwing the ball but the rest of it is just stupid.

Can't point on a first down, can't celebrate sacking a QB, can't do a military salute??? WTF!?

Rasputin 08-06-2013 07:26 PM

Quote:

And that ****ing sucks.

TEQUILA!

<iframe frameborder="0" width="480" height="270" src="http://www.dailymotion.com/embed/video/x1cx4q"></iframe><br /><a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1cx4q_pee-wee-herman-dancing-to-tequila_fun" target="_blank">Pee Wee Herman Dancing to Tequila</a> <i>by <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/RetroCafe" target="_blank">RetroCafe</a></i>

Trevo_410 08-06-2013 07:27 PM

The NFL has been.... obamafied.

:facepalm:

Rasputin 08-06-2013 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 9863566)
What about Sammie Parker's celebration?!

That's a Kansas City CHIEFS **TOMAHAWK CHOP** FIRST DOWN

Bugeater 08-06-2013 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 9863644)
I'm going to go ahead and say no.

Oh, ok. So there are some things that are ok in the end zone but not in the field of play and others that are ok all the time and others that are never ok and then there are the new ones players come up with that no one knows for sure if they're ok or not and this is ****ing stupid either ban none of them or all of them.

Bowser 08-06-2013 07:34 PM

Goodell is that ****ing stroke you see at tailgates wearing corduroy jeans and sandals mean mugging you because your tailgate has loud music going with hot chicks playing beer pong and generally having a kick ass time.

Easy 6 08-06-2013 07:35 PM

Guys, if you're that angry, just go to NFL.com and fire off a quick note, the push to stop this nonsense has to start somewhere, why not here with the most passionate, knowledgable fans in the game?

I promise, i'm going to... i honestly cant STAND this guy anymore.

Rasputin 08-06-2013 07:41 PM

Should fly banner over every NFL stadium~ BENCH GOODELL HIRE NEW COMISH ~

Chiefaholic 08-06-2013 07:42 PM

Does Goodell not realize that TV ratings determine the profit margin for the FL with the next TV contract? The NFL SHOULD be more than "just a game", and the celebrations on the field are just icing on the cake. How boring would it have been if Neil Smith sacked the QB, then just stood up and walked back across the line of scrimmage? Hell no... His home run swing livened up the crowd as well as people in my living room. Jared Allen's signature calf roping move was just as cool and received a positive reaction from all the people around me.

STOP ****ing with my entertainment Mr. Goodell and lave my game alone. Let defenses PLAY defense. Make opposing QB's fear defenses like the Chiefs of the mid 90's.Make Arrowhead LOUD again and people would be more willing to pay your ridiculous ticket prices and parking fees.

Setsuna 08-06-2013 07:45 PM

I'd keep doing it if I were the players. Let's see if Goodell likes 7-10 point games.

ThaVirus 08-06-2013 07:48 PM

This is honestly the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Who agreed to institute these measures?

Easy 6 08-06-2013 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clayton Bibsby (Post 9863753)
I'd keep doing it if I were the players. Let's see if Goodell likes 7-10 point games.

Thats really not a bad idea, can he reeeally fine every single player?

What we need is a league-wide Jim McMahon style Rozell headband moment... seriously, this has gone too far.

chiefzilla1501 08-06-2013 07:49 PM

I ****ing hate this rule. Nothing better than creating a potentially game-changing penalty based on a rule where the refs have to make an opinion every time they enforce the rule. That's unfair to put that burden on refs.

I don't want a team to lose a game because a guy celebrated just a little too much for the ref's liking. Where do you draw the line? This rule has nothing to do with football. Fine the guys if it bothers the league. Don't impact the result of the game for this BS.

Baby Lee 08-06-2013 07:58 PM

They should install corner posts so that the fatbodies can slide chest-first into them after a big play.

Ace Gunner 08-06-2013 08:01 PM

garbage in -- garbage out

Chiefaholic 08-06-2013 08:02 PM

So when Payton Manning lines up under center, then stands up pointing to defensive players and his O-Line come out of their three point stance and do the same, does this rule apply? Afterall it IS pointing. The rule's vague enough they can pick and choose when to enforce it. Imagine having a game winning drive stalled because somebody of the offense is enjoying hisself on the field. Of Peyton is given a FREE first down because his perfectly white jersey has grass stain on it.

Setsuna 08-06-2013 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 9863762)
Thats really not a bad idea, can he reeeally fine every single player?

What we need is a league-wide Jim McMahon style Rozell headband moment... seriously, this has gone too far.

Unfortunately it's a 15 yard penalty. But if both teams do it there won't be much scoring.

Micjones 08-06-2013 08:13 PM

Another reason to hate Roger Goodell.
It's a game, Mr. Commissioner. It's meant to be entertaining.

LOCOChief 08-06-2013 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdcox (Post 9863574)
Broncos SB wins are further tainted.

:clap:

WhiteWhale 08-06-2013 09:21 PM

Players celebrate way too much on routine plays anyway.

It didn't used to be like that, and I don't feel it makes the game better. I, personally, don't have a problem with keeping celebrations in the end-zone. I actually think they should remove some of the TD celebration restrictions.

kcxiv 08-06-2013 09:23 PM

roger godell is quickly passing David Stern as the worst ****ing commisioner ever.

He's just making football not fun for anyone. Him along with the Chiefs sucking for so long, my NFL interest is dwindling. I have barely paid attention to anything NFL related so far.

Hammock Parties 08-06-2013 09:25 PM

Taking out sack dances is stupid.

Defenders basically can't celebrate with these rules now. That sucks. Hard.

Bugeater 08-06-2013 09:27 PM

I can't believe how much these silly little celebrations mean to some of you.

J Diddy 08-06-2013 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 9864001)

When enduring a 49 to something stomping on a weekly basis seeing Tamba flap his arms is all that we got.

Now, we don't even have that.

Hammock Parties 08-06-2013 09:35 PM

Quote:

The game is meant to be fun.

The celebrations add to the fun.

I'd miss them.

WhiteWhale 08-06-2013 09:38 PM

Doesn't the competition committee decide these things?

I mean I know people hate Godell (never liked him myself) but I don't think he can unilaterally institute rules.

DeezNutz 08-06-2013 09:40 PM

Quote:

It's about allowing the game and the flow to be as "organic" and emotional as possible. I'm tired of this little douche micro-managing everything.

chiefzilla1501 08-06-2013 09:52 PM

Quote:

I will lose my shit if the outcome of a single game is impacted because the refs made some opinionated call about a rule that never needed to exist. All it takes is for one defender to celebrate a sack on a 3rd and 1 stop for this stupid rule to explode in Goodell's face.

And it's not just the celebrations. It's asking refs to decide what counts as a celebration and what doesn't. Is a fist pump a celebration? A spike? What about screaming in excitement? And for what? Look, roughing the passer is enforced because a QB could get hurt. Holding is enforced because it creates an unfair advantage for a pass rusher. Excessive celebration is enforced because... it makes the other team feel bad.

Yet another Goodell disaster.

A Salt Weapon 08-06-2013 09:55 PM

Can't wait to see this selectively enforced throughout the year.

Sweet Daddy Hate 08-06-2013 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevo_410 (Post 9863681)
The NFL has been.... obamafied.

:facepalm:

A little history lesson:

I graduated in 1989. The next year, my school introduced that lovely "No Tolerance" Freedom-Free Zone-HORSEHIT under the BUSH ADMINISTRATION.

So there's that.

Same shit today:

"OBAMAZ IS TAPPING TEH PHONEZ"!

Well, WHO STARTED THAT BALL ROLLING, MOTHER****ERS??? WHO???

Hint:

Rhymes with "Tush", smells like ****.

Bugeater 08-06-2013 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9864037)
I will lose my shit if the outcome of a single game is impacted because the refs made some opinionated call about a rule that never needed to exist. All it takes is for one defender to celebrate a sack on a 3rd and 1 stop for this stupid rule to explode in Goodell's face.

And it's not just the celebrations. It's asking refs to decide what counts as a celebration and what doesn't. Is a fist pump a celebration? A spike? What about screaming in excitement? And for what? Look, roughing the passer is enforced because a QB could get hurt. Holding is enforced because it creates an unfair advantage for a pass rusher. Excessive celebration is enforced because... it makes the other team feel bad.

Yet another Goodell disaster.

Oh, I agree with all of that. It's the notion that not having them makes the game less enjoyable that I find absurd.

Sweet Daddy Hate 08-06-2013 10:08 PM

The game does not deserve to be brought back down to the college level with this shit.

MMXcalibur 08-06-2013 10:17 PM

FINALLY!

I am glad Goodell is standing up on this issue. I was sick of seeing the Chiefs celebrate so much last season.

kysirsoze 08-06-2013 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteWhale (Post 9864017)
Doesn't the competition committee decide these things?

I mean I know people hate Godell (never liked him myself) but I don't think he can unilaterally institute rules.

He's made himself the face of the new NFL. He has championed every No Fun rule he could shove down our throats. Having not read a direct quote from him on this, there is no reason to believe this is not another step towards the sterile, nonthreatening, family friendly, cash cow utopia that he clearly dreams about.

That said, it was a rule last year and they didn't enforce it. As long as it continues that way and doesn't get "tuck ruled" out when it helps the league's favorite teams than I won't ultimately give a shit.

MMXcalibur 08-06-2013 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kysirsoze (Post 9864070)
He's made himself the face of the new NFL. He has championed every No Fun rule he could shove down our throats. Having not read a direct quote from him on this, there is no reason to believe this is not another step towards the sterile, nonthreatening, family friendly, cash cow utopia that he clearly dreams about.

That said, it was a rule last year and they didn't enforce it. As long as it continues that way and doesn't get "tuck ruled" out when it helps the league's favorite teams than I won't ultimately give a shit.

Oh I guarantee the Patriots, Broncos, Cowboys, and Steelers will be given some free yards on this bullshit.

Guaran-****ing-teed.

WhiteWhale 08-06-2013 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kysirsoze (Post 9864070)

Not really the point I made. I can't stand Godell and I never could. He lords himself over the NFL in a way that I just don't think other commissioners past or present do.

Don't rule changes usually go through the committee and then voted on by the owners of the teams?

Godell abuses his power, but in this case I'm not sure he does anything but deliver the memo.

Sweet Daddy Hate 08-06-2013 10:26 PM

I'm sure this move will do MUCH to bring some needed class to Oakland!:rolleyes:

kysirsoze 08-06-2013 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteWhale (Post 9864076)
Not really the point I made. I can't stand Godell and I never could. He lords himself over the NFL in a way that I just don't think other commissioners past or present do.

Don't rule changes usually go through the committee and then voted on by the owners of the teams?

Godell abuses his power, but in this case I'm not sure he does anything but deliver the memo.

I don't think he can unilaterally institute a rule, no, but a president can't pass a law, either. That doesn't mean when his agenda is enacted he won't be held responsible.

-King- 08-06-2013 10:42 PM

Everyone knows that football isn't meant to be fun. How dare players try to celebrate an accomplishment!

ARROW2 08-06-2013 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteWhale (Post 9864076)

Oh but this bitch gets all soft on Riley Cooper.....F this nerd ass pussy.....He is a punk who probably never even put on a jock strap.......You make a big sack on Five head and you can't celebrate? **** this punk

Pepe Silvia 08-06-2013 11:02 PM

Just when I thought I couldn't possibly hate this prick more than I already did.

Consistent1 08-06-2013 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ARROW2 (Post 9864105)
Oh but this bitch gets all soft on Riley Cooper.....F this nerd ass pussy.....He is a punk who probably never even put on a jock strap.......You make a big sack on Five head and you can't celebrate? **** this punk

It is an emotional game. To not be be able to celebrate is stupid. How many times are there fights on the sidelines where a bunch of f-bombs get dropped. Kids and families can clearly see all that.

I am tired of hearing about Cooper too. He said something dumb while drinking.

007 08-06-2013 11:57 PM

So defenders can't celebrate a sack anymore? That kind of blows.

AussieChiefsFan 08-07-2013 12:00 AM

I understand penalizing players for going overboard with the celebrations. But this is going too far.

007 08-07-2013 12:03 AM

Of course, I would love to see Bowe pointing at his name go away. I hate that stupid move of his.

KCrockaholic 08-07-2013 12:09 AM

Thanks Neil Smith.

big nasty kcnut 08-07-2013 05:07 AM

i blame jane skinner his wife for not letting him into her endzone.
Posted via Mobile Device

BlackHelicopters 08-07-2013 05:38 AM

Goodell wants to be bigger than the game. Why is this guy a headline every other day? Let players have some emotion and play. Emotion drives the game. The players feed off each other, and the players sense the crowd emotion. Stop over legislating.

mdchiefsfan 08-07-2013 05:40 AM

I'm going to miss the sack celebrations and the first down point, everything else isn't that big of a deal, IMO.

Baby Lee 08-07-2013 05:50 AM

Goodell rules that 70s movie musicals can no longer exhibit lascivious dancing, Grease expected to register protest.