ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Carpet Installer Screw Up Question... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=308105)

petegz28 06-05-2017 08:34 AM

Carpet Installer Screw Up Question...

For those of you who have experience installing carpet I would really appreciate some advice. I recently had my living room, dining room, hallway and 2 small flights of stairs carpeted. The installers ran a seam right across the middle of the living room floor going from the front of the house to the back. The builder had run the seem closer to the wall going from one side of the house to the other and it was covered up by furniture, etc.

They did a crap job on the seam and came back out and fixed it. But you can still see the seam, obviously. I am having a hard time getting the installer to respond now. He told me there was some reason or another for running the seam that way but I don't buy it. The living room is only 15x17. The dining room is roughly 12x13. I'm clueless when it comes to installing carpet but it appears they laid the carpet in the wrong direction which is why they had to put 2 huge pieces in the living room.

Anyhow, I am starting to talk with the people I bought the carpet from and look for a new installer but I most certainly don't want to flip the additional cost out of my pocket. Also the installers tore up my wood trim and some of the walls and I even tried to be nice and told the owner that if he makes the seam right then not to worry about the other stuff. I didn't even get so much as $1 off of my bill. And I have used the guy before so I am starting to think he knows his guys did a crap job and is trying to run from doing anything costly and will even give up my business.

Am I on ground to sue this guy if I have to pay for this to be re-done properly by someone else?

petegz28 06-05-2017 08:42 AM

Also, I should mention we wanted him to do some tile work on a couple entry ways. I asked if the tile and carpet had to be done at the same time and he said it would be best because he would have to leave the carpet longer if he didn't do the tile so when he did the tile, bla, bla bla. So I rushed out and bought tile and then he said they didn't have time to do it. I asked the installers if they were going to leave the carpet longer for the tile job and they said there was no need for that. So I am really wondering if they ****ed up this job all the way around or what?

ptlyon 06-05-2017 08:47 AM

We Be Carpet and Shit - Free complimentary taillight guarantee!

Ming the Merciless 06-05-2017 08:52 AM

No you should not see any seam.

The labor should've been about 300 bucks

Carpet maybe 6 or 7 hundred

Padding no more than 150 for 8 pownd

So say 1200 TOPS for this job and you should not see the seam

petegz28 06-05-2017 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pawnmower (Post 12902633)

Well, the carpet was $15 a yard, between pad and carpet we paid $1600. Install was $700 including fees for moving furniture, using my vacuums (lol) and what not.

petegz28 06-05-2017 08:57 AM

Quote:

We had a hallway and 2 sets of stairs done as well...

Kman34 06-05-2017 08:59 AM

Had Home Depot do mine... They did a excellent job.. measured the rooms before and no seams...Sounds like unprofessionals...hope you get this resolved...

J Diddy 06-05-2017 09:03 AM

It's been my experience that when we age we tend to show some seams. The real question is do the drapes match the carpet?

petegz28 06-05-2017 09:05 AM

Quote:

Carpet: 705 sqf @ $1.56 = 1099.80
Pad: 705 sqf $ $.40 = $282

Add in tax of $127 and it came out to $1509 for carpet and pad

Rain Man 06-05-2017 09:06 AM

We moved offices this year and they laid down carpet in our new space. I could be wrong, but I thought the carpet came in an 8' or 12' width or something, so rooms your size might end up with a seam if the figure is 8'. We had a few areas like that in some of our offices, but the seams aren't noticeable at all. They were also good about trying to put seams in doorways and stuff so it's less noticeable.

Ming the Merciless 06-05-2017 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 12902652)
Carpet: 705 sqf @ $1.56 = 1099.80
Pad: 705 sqf $ $.40 = $282

Add in tax of $127 and it came out to $1509 for carpet and pad

12x13=156^2
15x17=255^2

unless your stairs are 300^2 I dont see how you had 700^2ft

I did a rough calculation and figured it around 45 or 50 yards (no more than 500 square feet)

Ming the Merciless 06-05-2017 09:15 AM

I think they nickel and dimed you a couple/few hundred by:

1) selling you too much material
2) the carpet price was OK per square foot, but I think they over sold you (too many square feet)
3) they charged you too much for padding and sold you too much
4) they also charged too much for labor...that is not more than a 300-400$ job. even in california

between that and the poor seaming, do not use them again...

You might be better off having a better guy come in and re-do the seam and stretch it for a couple hours of labor than bothering wasting time on a lawsuit IMO...just never use them again and tell everyone how shitty they treated you. KArma is a bitch for them

I do get pretty good deals and I have an outstanding carpet guy......but I would look for a different installer. Do you guys have any 'Tom Duffy' stores there? I buy my pad from them....and I shop around for my carpet....I then have my carpet installer pick everything up , he charges about 5$ a yard for pad and carpet install which is about 55 cents per sq ft....

SBInfinity 06-05-2017 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 12902599)

Anyhow, I am starting to talk with the people I bought the carpet from and look for a new installer but I most certainly don't want to flip the additional cost out of my pocket. Also the installers tore up my wood trim and some of the walls and I even tried to be nice and told the owner that if he makes the seam right then not to worry about the other stuff. I didn't even get so much as $1 off of my bill. And I have used the guy before so I am starting to think he knows his guys did a crap job and is trying to run from doing anything costly and will even give up my business.

Am I on ground to sue this guy if I have to pay for this to be re-done properly by someone else?

Why did you have it installed by someone other than who sold you the carpet?
Go to Nebraska Furniture Mart
done

petegz28 06-05-2017 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pawnmower (Post 12902664)
I think they nickel and dimed you a couple/few hundred by:

1) selling you too much material
2) the carpet price was OK per square foot, but I think they over sold you (too many square feet)
3) they charged you too much for padding and sold you too much
4) they also charged too much for labor...that is not more than a 300-400$ job. even in california

between that and the poor seaming, do not use them again...

You might be better off having a better guy come in and re-do the seam and stretch it for a couple hours of labor than bothering wasting time on a lawsuit IMO...just never use them again and tell everyone how shitty they treated you. KArma is a bitch for them

I do get pretty good deals and I have an outstanding carpet guy......but I would look for a different installer. Do you guys have any 'Tom Duffy' stores there? I buy my pad from them....and I shop around for my carpet....I then have my carpet installer pick everything up , he charges about 5$ a yard for pad and carpet install which is about 55 cents per sq ft....

We got our carpet and pad from a company called Pro-Source. The installer had done work in my rental property and my Brother In Law's house without any complaints. Speaking of stretching, when they came back to fix the seam, the Owner told me they have that stretched tighter than a trampoline. That seems like not a good thing in my opinion.

petegz28 06-05-2017 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pawnmower (Post 12902658)
12x13=156^2
15x17=255^2

unless your stairs are 300^2 I dont see how you had 700^2ft

I did a rough calculation and figured it around 45 or 50 yards (no more than 500 square feet)

I know there is a rule that says you should plan for 20% overage with carpet. How legit that is, I have no idea.

The problem is they ran the carpet in the wrong direction, imo. Instead of running the carpet 12x17 and then putting another 3X17 strip closer to the wall like the builder did. They ran 12x15 and then another 5x15 or so, which caused a seam to run across the middle of the floor.