ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life I think I used up my allotment of luck today (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=264627)

Old Dog 10-03-2012 04:59 PM

I think I used up my allotment of luck today

I had the rear tire blowout on my motorcycle at 65mph on the way home from work just a bit ago.
I'm obviously OK, and other than the tire, the bike is fine, but I'm pretty sure my pants are going to need a good cleaning.

ThaVirus 10-03-2012 05:03 PM

Congrats on not dying.

Now play the lotto just in case..

Bump 10-03-2012 05:04 PM

damn! Glad you're ok dude

Scorp 10-03-2012 05:06 PM

I think I would rather the rear blow out than the front. Havent had either happen personally. *knock on wood*

Glad you are okay as well.

Bump 10-03-2012 05:11 PM

So what happened when the tire blew out? Did you just instantly lose control of the bike and fly off? Or were able to control it enough to slow down and I guess slide as safe as you could? What was that like?

Old Dog 10-03-2012 05:15 PM

I heard a kind of, but not extremely loud (think 20g shotgun) pop and then the ass-end started jumping left/right/wherever it wanted to go. I kept thinking about tying one in the back of a truck and told myself, Keep the front stable and the back will be OK....it can't fall over (while also looking for a place to jump if need be). Stayed off of the brake and rode it to a stop.
All in all, not very dramatic, but it scared the hall out of me for a minute.

I agree with you though Scorp, probably better the back than the front. it's the first time that's happened to me in over 25 years of riding as well.

R8RFAN 10-03-2012 05:19 PM

Too much air pressure or just went boom?

Glad you are not on a morphine pump now with severe road rash

listopencil 10-03-2012 05:25 PM

http://media.steampowered.com/steamc...51921_full.jpg

mlyonsd 10-03-2012 05:26 PM

Back in the 80's when I was young I decided to open my bike up a little to see what she'd do. We rented a farmhouse on a lonely blacktop so I thought what the heck.

Got it up past 95 and was coming up on our corner so I backed it down. As I slowed down the bike started to wobble in the rear end. Got it stopped and found a nail in my rear tire. Since my daughter was less than 2 years old I considered it a sign from a higher being. I never screwed around like that again.

Old Dog 10-03-2012 05:26 PM

just went boom....needed replaced in about another 2K miles or so (or so I thought)

Thanks all....I just thought it was kinda interesting and since I never have anything interesting worth sharing....

R8RFAN 10-03-2012 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlyonsd (Post 8974472)
Back in the 80's when I was young I decided to open my bike up a little to see what she'd do. We rented a farmhouse on a lonely blacktop so I thought what the heck.

Got it up past 95 and was coming up on our corner so I backed it down. As I slowed down the bike started to wobble in the rear end. Got it stopped and found a nail in my rear tire. Since my daughter was less than 2 years old I considered it a sign from a higher being. I never screwed around like that again.

Get a big bike 1600cc+ and everytime you look down at the speedo you are going 80mph

R8RFAN 10-03-2012 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Dog (Post 8974473)
just went boom....needed replaced in about another 2K miles or so (or so I thought)

Thanks all....I just thought it was kinda interesting and since I never have anything interesting worth sharing....

When I got my Roadstar Silverado (2002) 1602cc I rode it to work the first day and on my way home a small toyota pickup passed me.... he got like 100ft ahead of me in the left lane and her had a blowout in the front right tire and it sprayed me with metal and rubber.... Scared the hell outta me

mlyonsd 10-03-2012 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 8974485)
Get a big bike 1600cc+ and everytime you look down at the speedo you are going 80mph

I live on 3 miles of gravel now so keeping a bike clean isn't worth owning it.

pr_capone 10-03-2012 05:38 PM

That is some seriously scary shit meng. Glad to hear you are safe.

Psyko Tek 10-03-2012 05:54 PM

you are lucky,dude
never had one let loose over 30 mph

R8RFAN 10-03-2012 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlyonsd (Post 8974501)
I live on 3 miles of gravel now so keeping a bike clean isn't worth owning it.

I am through with them myself...Seen to many people I know die on them.

Gonzo 10-03-2012 06:40 PM

I've wanted a bike for years now but whenever I read or hear horror stories, (even ones that end ok) I change my mind. I guess it's one of those things like when you're a kid and you'd ride your skateboard/bicycle down a steep hill. You just can't think about the bad outcomes that can make you a quadriplegic. Just shift the gears and go. However, I tend to think that if I got one and had a close call like this, I'd walk it home and sell it.

R8RFAN 10-03-2012 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonzo (Post 8974677)
I've wanted a bike for years now but whenever I read or hear horror stories, (even ones that end ok) I change my mind. I guess it's one of those things like when you're a kid and you'd ride your skateboard/bicycle down a steep hill. You just can't think about the bad outcomes that can make you a quadriplegic. Just shift the gears and go. However, I tend to think that if I got one and had a close call like this, I'd walk it home and sell it.

I rode one for 20 yrs, never laid one down or wrecked but with the way people play with phones nowadays, I don't trust the couple of feet separating the lanes on a two lane road...

Swerve left, going 60 while you are going 60 = vaporized

patteeu 10-03-2012 06:47 PM

Glad you're safe. Scary stuff.

Gonzo 10-03-2012 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 8974687)
I rode one for 20 yrs, never laid one down or wrecked but with the way people play with phones nowadays, I don't trust the couple of feet separating the lanes on a two lane road...

Swerve left, going 60 while you are going 60 = vaporized

Yeah, that's about right. **** it, I'll get something safer like a snowblower.

Sfeihc 10-03-2012 07:01 PM

Glad you're okay, Dog.

R8RFAN 10-03-2012 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonzo (Post 8974772)
Yeah, that's about right. **** it, I'll get something safer like a snowblower.

Get a dirtbike and ride the trails then if you **** up you can only blame yourself

Rain Man 10-03-2012 07:11 PM

You almost never hear about blowouts any more. Have there been advances in tire technology that have made them less common?

Tires are a household product that is somewhat amazing. When you think about the work that they do, they're incredibly important, and yet they're invisible for the most part. They're the offensive guard of household goods.

scho63 10-03-2012 08:03 PM

Monday morning at 5:30am my rear tire blew as well but I drive a car-you are one lucky dude!

o:-)

MOhillbilly 10-03-2012 09:00 PM

Had a rear wheel come off a el camino. Got that bad boy up on two wheels .

God damn cops never even stopped. Good thing cause I had about a dozen warrants out.

Good job not dyin.

go bo 10-03-2012 09:53 PM

i rode when i was young until i got tired of bouncing over cars stopping suddenly in front of me or laying it down when they pulled out in front of me...

glad to hear you got through that scare, dog...

Buehler445 10-03-2012 10:39 PM

Glad you made it bud. Periodically, I catch a moment when I realize, "damn. I about died." scares the shit out of a man.

Otter 10-03-2012 11:02 PM

Glad all is OK. Rear tires are easy to replace.

Lzen 10-04-2012 08:24 AM

Good to hear that you're okay. Those kinds of situations are scary.

Oh and R8ers my bike is a 1440 and I'm sure I can get over 100mph easily. ;)

gblowfish 10-04-2012 08:25 AM

I've been having an especially bad week too, if that makes you feel any better....

Old Dog 10-04-2012 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 8976227)
I've been having an especially bad week too, if that makes you feel any better....

I look at it as a good thing. I walked away (OK, actuallly rode away after my son in law came and picked up me and the bike) and all I have to replace is the tire. It could have been infinitely worse....AND it gave me something intersting to share....I lead a pretty boring existence.

notorious 10-04-2012 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 8975703)
Glad you made it bud. Periodically, I catch a moment when I realize, "damn. I about died." scares the shit out of a man.

You are a farmer. That happens at least once every 2-3 years. :D

Fat Elvis 10-04-2012 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 8974552)
I am through with them myself...Seen to many people I know die on them.

Esto.

Now that I am older, when I think back on how many times I was so close to death on a motorcycle I thank God for watching out for me. There are so many little things- from other drivers to mother nature- that are completely out of your control. Sometimes it is just a millimeter or two between you and complete disaster.

R8RFAN 10-04-2012 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 8976223)
Good to hear that you're okay. Those kinds of situations are scary.

Oh and R8ers my bike is a 1440 and I'm sure I can get over 100mph easily. ;)

No doubt in my mind... I had a 1984 Honda Nitehawk 650 back in the day and it would top 100

R8RFAN 10-04-2012 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Elvis (Post 8976264)
Esto.

Now that I am older, when I think back on how many times I was so close to death on a motorcycle I thank God for watching out for me. There are so many little things- from other drivers to mother nature- that are completely out of your control. Sometimes it is just a millimeter or two between you and complete disaster.

Well just a couple years back a co worker I trained to be a truck driver back in 1997 or 98 left his home on a crisp clear November morning to go on a charity ride, he ran off the road all by himself and they found the Harley on top of him at the bottom of an embankment... He was 36 years old

That was when I decided I was done with them..... To each his own, if that is what a man wants to do thats his business but it's not a part of my life anymore.

Richard_Cuckold 10-04-2012 09:13 AM

Glad you aint dead.
I'd never get on a motorcycle. Just too dangerous imo

Fat Elvis 10-04-2012 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 8976273)
Well just a couple years back a co worker I trained to be a truck driver back in 1997 or 98 left his home on a crisp clear November morning to go on a charity ride, he ran off the road all by himself and they found the Harley on top of him at the bottom of an embankment... He was 36 years old

That was when I decided I was done with them..... To each his own, if that is what a man wants to do thats his business but it's not a part of my life anymore.

There was a guy around here a couple of years ago that got struck by lightning and killed while riding....

R8RFAN 10-04-2012 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Elvis (Post 8976338)
There was a guy around here a couple of years ago that got struck by lightning and killed while riding....

Holy shit...

Graystoke 10-04-2012 01:04 PM

I think about that scenerio often. Scares the shitter out of me. Your lucky it was not the front tire for sure!

frankotank 10-04-2012 01:53 PM

damn dude....glad you're OK.
I've been riding for 27 years. I ride to work (30 miles) to downtown KC often. always always always watching the other guy. I always make sure I have a way out, never get boxed in. the ONLY time I've ever been in real danger was being young and dumb and doing something stupid....I had the speedometer buried and bouncing on a kawasaki 850 (only went to 85..but still) had to have been doing 100....the whole damn bike just started shaking...shaking badly. I thought I was a goner. let up on the throttle and once she slowed down the shaking stopped. last time I EVER did something stupid on a bike. I have an 1100 now. I don't know how fast it will go. I don't want to know.
riding is awesome. I can't stop. if something happens to me...it won't be because I was doing something stupid. I took a course a long time ago and was shocked at how much they taught me (I'd been riding for years at that point) there are things you can do to be proactive and not get yourself into a bad situation.

FAX 10-04-2012 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Dog (Post 8974444)
I heard a kind of, but not extremely loud (think 20g shotgun) pop and then the ass-end started jumping left/right/wherever it wanted to go. I kept thinking about tying one in the back of a truck and told myself, Keep the front stable and the back will be OK....it can't fall over (while also looking for a place to jump if need be). Stayed off of the brake and rode it to a stop.
All in all, not very dramatic, but it scared the hall out of me for a minute.

I agree with you though Scorp, probably better the back than the front. it's the first time that's happened to me in over 25 years of riding as well.

I don't see much good luck in this deal, Mr. Old Dog.

Sounds like the blowout was bad luck and the rest was just level-headed thinking and a real, good job of handling the situation.

FAX

stevieray 10-04-2012 08:18 PM

back tire blew out on my mountain bike yesterday...somehow i think yours was worse i was only going 3mph

glad you're ok!!

Ace Gunner 10-04-2012 08:39 PM

Glad you made it through that. Every day I can ride is a lucky day :D

allen_kcCard 10-05-2012 03:48 PM

t-cloc

Glad you are ok