ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   "Why we need a new coach in '05" (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=104367)

shaneo69 11-15-2004 09:54 AM

"Why we need a new coach in '05"

I really think DV has gotten to the point where he can't be objective enough when it comes to evaluating these players and asst. coaches in order to make the necessary changes for '05.

Since the Vermiel era started, the Chiefs have rarely been the highest bidder when shopping for free agents. Instead, Vermiel has relied on his "family atmosphere" approach to appeal to the potential signees. But this offseason, if he's still here, he'll be a lame duck coach that UFA's know will not be back in '06. This will be a major obstacle in trying to woo free agents.

For fans, and the organization as a whole, the lame duck season spells danger because anyone that we sign to big bucks may not fit in with the new coach coming in '06. So we might end up wasting cap money on guys who don't fit the new ('06) scheme.

Finally, I think it's necessary for a new coach for '05 to come in from the outside to purge our roster of the guys who have sucked for 3-4 years now. We cannot be stuck with guys like Woods, Wesley, Warfield, Bartee, McCleon, Battle, Holliday, Hicks, Sims, etc. just because they're nice guys, or because they were high draft picks by the current staff, or because they were prize free agent signings by the current staff. We need someone who will study tape and objectively analyze our roster, and make the necessary changes, even if it means putting us in a bad cap situation for a year.

Brock 11-15-2004 09:56 AM

who's Peterson going to hire? Gunther?

King_Chief_Fan 11-15-2004 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock Landers

obviously not, but Gunther's overall record compared to DV % wise doesn't show much difference.

Red Dawg 11-15-2004 09:59 AM

The only thing that wooos FA's is money. That's why we didn't get Vincent or Winfield. Money was better else where. Put up the bucks and we have the FA's we need.

BigChiefFan 11-15-2004 09:59 AM

Quote:

Knowing Peterson, Wannestadt is the first choice. :p

TEX 11-15-2004 10:01 AM

Come to think of it, this season does kind of resemble DV's last season in Philly. :hmmm:

TEX 11-15-2004 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigChiefFan
Knowing Peterson, Wannestadt is the first choice. :p

REP! :clap: ROFL

Dr. Johnny Fever 11-15-2004 10:03 AM

Quote:

I vote for "anybody but Dick."

Dr. Johnny Fever 11-15-2004 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TEX
REP! :clap: ROFL

I wouldn't laugh too hard...........

BigChiefFan 11-15-2004 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beer me
I vote for "anybody but Dick."

Sounds like an old girlfriend I used to date. :p

KCTitus 11-15-2004 10:09 AM

A 'come from the outside' strategy would require CP resigning as well.

Both are under contract through '05...at this point, Im guessing they both leave after '05.

Dr. Johnny Fever 11-15-2004 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigChiefFan
Sounds like an old girlfriend I used to date. :p

ROFL

shaneo69 11-15-2004 10:13 AM

Quote:

No, like I said, we need to go outside the organization for someone who will objectively evaluate our current team. Gunther put us in a hole by endorsing the signings of Hicks, Wesley, Bartee, and Woods.

My choice, based on the weak crop of current assistant coaches in the league, would probably be Bob Stoops. I've been pretty sick of people pimping him for the past 3-4 years, but he's won me over.

morphius 11-15-2004 10:16 AM

This just scares me, but Martz did something intelligent, basically you guys keep screwing it up in game time so much that we are going to play a scrimage against ourselves this week. Then they came out and won the game.

Brock 11-15-2004 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaneo69
No, like I said, we need to go outside the organization for someone who will objectively evaluate our current team. Gunther put us in a hole by endorsing the signings of Hicks, Wesley, Bartee, and Woods.

My choice, based on the weak crop of current assistant coaches in the league, would probably be Bob Stoops. I've been pretty sick of people pimping him for the past 3-4 years, but he's won me over.

I think Stoops probably has rejected better deals than anything Peterson would offer. I think we'd probably better get used to the idea of Al Saunders being the next coach. Look on the bright side, he probably comes cheap.