ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Madden 'stifled' by Michaels (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=104462)

KingPriest2 11-16-2004 12:10 PM

Madden 'stifled' by Michaels

What is this guy smoking?

BALDINGER: Madden 'stifled' by Michaels
Story Tools: Print Email
Brian Baldinger / FOX Sports
Posted: 16 hours ago

I love John Madden.

I love his knowledge. He flat-out knows football, and he explains it in a way anyone can understand. That's Job 1.

Want the inside scoop on this weekend's pro football matchups? Access the War Room for expert analysis and predictions for each matchup.

Try it Now for ONLY $4.99
or
Check out this LIVE SAMPLE
I love his prescience. Early in a game, he'll identify a trend or player or development that will be key to the outcome, and sure enough, that's how the game unfolds. Nobody sees the game the way John does.

I love his ability to spot no-name players with big-time talent. Over the years, he has identified so many blue-collar guys -- Nate Newton, Bill Bates, Edwin Mulitalo, Gilbert Brown -- who helped their teams win, yet were anonymous until John highlighted them. He'd tell you their stories and analyze their games. By the end of the game, you'd say, "Wow, that player is fascinating. I'll watch him every chance I get."

I love his sense of humor. He's Seinfeld-funny, the way he makes observations on life. One minute he's detailing the intricacies of the Bucs' cover 2, the next he's wondering why anybody would give kids an apple on Halloween. I love the way he can make you smarter and make you laugh in the same game, with seamless transitions in between.

I love John Madden. But Al Michaels is killing him.

Al is one of the best play-by-play guys around. He knows the stats, the facts, the background, all the detail that's necessary to describe a game. But Monday Night Football has become the Al Michaels show, and he dominates the air time. Al simply doesn't let John be John.

Pat Summerall did. Pat was John's partner at CBS and FOX for years, and he knew he wasn't the show. Pat could have carried a broadcast with his wit and insights, but he subjugated himself to let John be the star. Pat would keep the game moving by describing the action in his trademark abbreviated style, and he'd step back and give John the leeway he needed to do his thing. Pat made it possible for John to become the most entertaining and informative NFL analyst ever.

Now that John has a national audience every week, it's much harder to see evidence of that. I love John Madden, and it hurts to see him stifled to the point he can't be himself anymore.

I don't mean this to be a knock on Al Michaels. He's very good at his job, and he deserves center stage. But so does John. That's why this pairing isn't working.

Brian Baldinger, an offensive lineman for 12 NFL seasons, can be heard on Sporting News Radio and seen on FOX Sports. Listen online at http://radio.sportingnews.com.

Calcountry 11-16-2004 12:14 PM

So, are you with him or against him?

I think I'll take a poll.

KCFalcon59 11-16-2004 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingPriest2
Pat Summerall did. Pat was John's partner at CBS and FOX for years, and he knew he wasn't the show. Pat could have carried a broadcast with his wit and insights, but he subjugated himself to let John be the star.

Uhhh....Pat was drunk.

Chieficus 11-16-2004 12:17 PM

"They used to be able to put stick 'em on their hands. Now they just have those gloves..."

Bearcat 11-16-2004 12:18 PM

Quote:

Al simply doesn't let John be John.

Good.

cheeeefs 11-16-2004 12:22 PM

What we've got here is a case of differing opinions when people start stating opinions it can often lead to other people having completely different opinions, and that's what we've got here.

You know, I really like a man who can just give his opinion. Like they say, you've got to stand for something. That's a big man on that line, when you got a man who is 400 pounds, I don't think anyone would call him a small man. And those big men get to use that weight advantage to really dominate the line of scrimmage. That's why they get those big men down there and put them up front.

God I'm a football genius, I can explain the game like no one else.

Brock 11-16-2004 12:25 PM

Madden definitely needed to be toned down. He's actually been all right this season.

ChiefsOne 11-16-2004 12:33 PM

Madden is a dildo, plus he coached the Faiders, so he is really low in my book.

I think he is a dumbass.

NewChief 11-16-2004 12:34 PM

I've about had it with MNF bringing in some "star" from the network's latest sitcom to pump up their show during the broadcast. This week it was alright, but last week when they brought in that chick who prattled on inanely about her stupid show for 5 minutes...I was pulling my hair out. Madden kept trying to interrupt and bring the talk around to the game in progress, but her and Michaels just kept on yacking while the GAME WAS GOING ON! STFU AND STFD!

Raiderhater 11-16-2004 12:35 PM

Quote:

I don't mean this to be a knock on Al Michaels. He's very good at his job, and he deserves center stage. But so does John. That's why this pairing isn't working.

No, it isn't working because Madden sucks.

Why can't they get Michaels somebody decent to work with?

MichaelH 11-16-2004 12:42 PM

I can't argue about Madden's vast football knowledge. But I still cringe when I hear his blabber before a game. He can babble on about nothing better than anyone.

As far as getting someone in the booth with Michaels, how about Joe Buck? He seems to know his sports and doesn't suffer from dimentia.

Raiderhater 11-16-2004 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelH
I can't argue about Madden's vast football knowledge. But I still cringe when I hear his blabber before a game. He can babble on about nothing better than anyone.

As far as getting someone in the booth with Michaels, how about Joe Buck? He seems to know his sports and doesn't suffer from dimentia.

I would not be opposed to Buck, but I thought he was just a baseball guy?

Costas might be an interesting choice as well.....

Raiderhater 11-16-2004 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ENDelt260
I think he does the NFL Playoffs for Fox as well.

At least... I remember he did a couple years ago.

Well I have never seen that much of him, so I really don't know. What I have seen hasn't been bad.

MichaelH 11-16-2004 12:53 PM

Joe Buck does football as well. I hardly watch the FOX games, but he's usually paired with Troy Aikman and Turkey Neck Collinsworth.

HolmeZz 11-16-2004 12:54 PM

Al and John have been great, IMO.