ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   I was thinking about rock and roll the other day. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=105459)

Rain Man 11-30-2004 02:21 PM

I was thinking about rock and roll the other day.

While I visit Funkytown as often as anybody, I find rock and roll to be an odd phenomenon for two reasons.

1. Music has been around for 15,000 years, ever since the first caveman pounded on a rock while another blew the last marrow out of an alto mammoth bone. How does an entirely new genre evolve in the 1950s? You can argue about roots, but it's hard to argue that rock music existed in previous centuries. Why did minstrels not come up with the few notes that define "Sweet Home Alabama?" Why did ancient Egyptians not bob and weave to "Satisfaction?" Or did they?

2. While many instruments are used, I think we can all agree that the instrumental foundations of rock and roll are the guitar, the drum, and the piano. Why? Was this random happenstance, or is there a reason for it? In parallel universes, is rock music built upon the drum, the trumpet, and the violin? The guitar, the tympani, and the clarinet? It's not like drum sets and pianos are easily portable, so why? Why, I ask?

Perhaps some musical historians can settle these burning questions for me.

stevieray 11-30-2004 02:23 PM

Les Paul

Donger 11-30-2004 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man
While I visit Funkytown as often as anybody, I find rock and roll to be an odd phenomenon for two reasons.

1. Music has been around for 15,000 years, ever since the first caveman pounded on a rock while another blew the last marrow out of an alto mammoth bone. How does an entirely new genre evolve in the 1950s? You can argue about roots, but it's hard to argue that rock music existed in previous centuries. Why did minstrels not come up with the few notes that define "Sweet Home Alabama?" Why did ancient Egyptians not bob and weave to "Satisfaction?" Or did they?

2. While many instruments are used, I think we can all agree that the instrumental foundations of rock and roll are the guitar, the drum, and the piano. Why? Was this random happenstance, or is there a reason for it? In parallel universes, is rock music built upon the drum, the trumpet, and the violin? The guitar, the tympani, and the clarinet? It's not like drum sets and pianos are easily portable, so why? Why, I ask?

Great. Now I have that song from Caveman in my head. Thanks a lot.

Dr. Johnny Fever 11-30-2004 02:23 PM

Because clarinets and violins don't rock.

Duh.

go bo 11-30-2004 02:23 PM

musical historians?

we have musical historians?

BigRedChief 11-30-2004 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man

You have entirely too much time on your hands. The thin air of Denver has made you kooky.:p

Dr. Johnny Fever 11-30-2004 02:26 PM

At least rock and roll wasn't built around the spoons, cow bell, or glockenschpiel....(sp?)... even if Springsteen does use one once in a while.

BigRedChief 11-30-2004 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beer me
At least rock and roll wasn't built around the spoons, cow bell, or glockenschpiel....(sp?)... even if Springsteen does use one once in a while.

I love the "more cow bell" skil on SNL.....AHHHHH what memories.:thumb:

SPchief 11-30-2004 02:28 PM

Rainman, Are you bored today?

Skip Towne 11-30-2004 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief
You have entirely too much time on your hands. The thin air of Denver has made you kooky.:p

I think you're right. He claims he was normal when he was in Rolla.

Rain Man 11-30-2004 02:31 PM

How could you tell?

Brock 11-30-2004 02:31 PM

Druids invented it, at the behest of their Dark Master.

Baby Lee 11-30-2004 02:34 PM

Umm, electricity. Leading to amplification, tweaking, feedback, digitization.

go bo 11-30-2004 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee
Umm, electricity. Leading to amplification, tweaking, feedback, digitization.

well that would certainly explain the emergence of electric guitars... :) :) :)

Mr. Kotter 11-30-2004 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief

You've only just now realized this...?