ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Draft the best player on the board!! (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=112584)

FRCDFED 03-19-2005 03:03 PM

Draft the best player on the board!!

With all the talk about trading our 1st rounder to pick up additional picks I wanted to remind everyone that by drafting higher in round 1 you increase your chances to get a playmaker! Notice I said "increase" and not that it is guaranteed.

We also do not want to include Wesley in a trade for Surtain if it is avoidable. Wesley will beat out Woods for the FS position. I do want Surtain but at the cheapest cost.

With our 1st round pick we need to take the BEST PLAYER ON THE BOARD!! Regardless of position! This draft strategy will allow us to have a playmaker versus the 2nd or 3rd best available position player who we can all sit around on here after three years and bitch about.

We are very critical of Carls draft history but when you look at the good players picked up in the draft (ie TG, LJ) you will notice he selected those who were arguably the best at their position in college and had a solid season leading up to the draft. Now there will be those anomolies such as Simms but Simms didn't come on strong until his senior season and was playing along side Peppers so he should have been considered a risk.

~wants to be GM for a day~

Bowser 03-19-2005 03:06 PM

You make it sound like we're the Patriots and can afford to sit around and let the best athlete fall to us. This team has very specific needs, those being linebacker, corner, and defensive end. If we draft a guard, I'll burn all of my Chiefs stuff.

Oh, Carl traded up to get Gonzalez, btw. ;)

milkman 03-19-2005 03:37 PM

Opinions vary about who is the best player at positions of need.

Some here think that Rolle is the best CB in this draft. Others claim that it's PacMan Jones. And then's there's the people in the Carlos Rogers camp.
Finally, there's a small group that back Marlin Jackson.

Unless we are sitting there at 15 with Derek Johnson in our sights, I believe that trading down is a very viable option.

One of those 4 will still be there later in the round, and it might give us the opportunity to select a good OLB in the 2nd.

I'm officially pimping Marlin Jackson and Daryl Blackstock.

chop 03-19-2005 03:39 PM

I hope they get the best available player also.

I would rather have a playmaker on Offense than an average player on Defense that we drafted just because we had a need. If the defensive palyer is ranked as high as the player on offense than the Chiefs should pick defense.

Spicy McHaggis 03-19-2005 03:48 PM

Pimping Rolle and Pollack. Roth, if we trade down.

redsurfer11 03-19-2005 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhud
With all the talk about trading our 1st rounder to pick up additional picks I wanted to remind everyone that by drafting higher in round 1 you increase your chances to get a playmaker! Notice I said "increase" and not that it is guaranteed.

We also do not want to include Wesley in a trade for Surtain if it is avoidable. Wesley will beat out Woods for the FS position. I do want Surtain but at the cheapest cost.

With our 1st round pick we need to take the BEST PLAYER ON THE BOARD!! Regardless of position! This draft strategy will allow us to have a playmaker versus the 2nd or 3rd best available position player who we can all sit around on here after three years and bitch about.

We are very critical of Carls draft history but when you look at the good players picked up in the draft (ie TG, LJ) you will notice he selected those who were arguably the best at their position in college and had a solid season leading up to the draft. Now there will be those anomolies such as Simms but Simms didn't come on strong until his senior season and was playing along side Peppers so he should have been considered a risk.

~wants to be GM for a day~

I agree, but I don't think we'd draft a RB,TE,C or G with the 15th pick.

DTLB58 03-19-2005 05:52 PM

A couple of weeks ago I saw a mock that had one of the top 2 QB's dropping to us. So.....You think drafting a QB THIS year with our 1st pick is a good idea if he was the BAP?

whoman69 03-19-2005 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DTLB58
A couple of weeks ago I saw a mock that had one of the top 2 QB's dropping to us. So.....You think drafting a QB THIS year with our 1st pick is a good idea if he was the BAP?

I think that was before their workout. Both have moved up the charts.

BoroChief 03-19-2005 07:13 PM

Riding shotgun on the Daryl Blackstock Bandwagon if he's available to us in the draft.:thumb:

nascher 03-19-2005 07:27 PM

Draft the Best Defensiv Player available.

DTLB58 03-19-2005 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoman69
I think that was before their workout. Both have moved up the charts.

I didn't think either one of them would fall to us before. The point IS he said draft the BAP period. So the question was, you would take any position? I agree with BEST defensive player available. Some may be against more DL players but we still can't stop the run....

Chiefs Pantalones 03-19-2005 07:33 PM

I'm scared to see who the Chiefs think is the best player available when they pick. The Chiefs have one of the worst scouting departments in the NFL.

milkman 03-19-2005 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Special Ed
I'm scared to see who the Chiefs think is the best player available when they pick. The Chiefs have one of the worst scouting departments in the NFL.

http://images.animationfactory.com/a...ice_lg_nwm.gif

Chiefs scouts (pictured above) discussing future prospects.

Digital Takawira 03-19-2005 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SideWinder
One of those 4 will still be there later in the round, and it might give us the opportunity to select a good OLB in the 2nd.

I'm officially pimping Marlin Jackson and Daryl Blackstock.

one of johnson, rolle, rogers, and jones should be there when we pick at 15. if we trade down, all four will be gone. also, marlin jackson is probably going to end up being a fs in the nfl. we've got enough safeties. blackstock or robert mccune in the 2nd would be fine with me.

milkman 03-19-2005 10:47 PM

Everthing I've read about Jackson leads me to believe that he has all the tools to be a good NFL CB, and for unknown reasons, struggled at the FS position in his junior year.