ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What software do you use to back-up your DVDs? (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=112882)

ChiefsFanatic 03-24-2005 10:05 PM

What software do you use to back-up your DVDs?

I just got a new computer with a DVD burner. I have been playing around with DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink. Both are freeware.

I was wondering if there is something that produces higher quality. So far, I have only backed up The Incredibles, and I really can't tell the difference. I copied only the main movie, because I was just making a DVD for my kids to use in the TV/DVD combo they have in their room.

So, if you know of any better programs, or which media I should use, I would appreciate it. I am also interested in just hearing how you go about making your back-ups.

Thanks,

ChiefsFanatic

[Search currently down]

Delano 03-24-2005 10:08 PM

DVD shrink is the best free solution IMO.

ChiefsFanatic 03-24-2005 10:16 PM

I do think DVD Shrink is great, but I have nothing else to compare it to.

Delano 03-24-2005 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsFanatic
I do think DVD Shrink is great, but I have nothing else to compare it to.

That's probably because it's the best.. unless you want to shell out some money.

Rausch 03-24-2005 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delano
That's probably because it's the best.. unless you want to shell out some money.

Or get it free on a file sharing network...

ChiefsFanatic 03-24-2005 10:19 PM

Quote:

If there was a distinct difference in quality, I would not be opposed to paying.

ChiefsFanatic 03-24-2005 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch
Or get it free on a file sharing network...

DC++ did come to mind......

wutamess 03-24-2005 10:43 PM

Nero is really good.
Heads above the rest

It won't get pass those encryptions aqt the beginning of rented or other DVD's though.

Otter 03-24-2005 10:50 PM

DVD Shrink + Nero is the best all around solution.

If you're burning a movie with lots of special effects or a really sharp picture (LOTR and Muholland Drive come to mind) make sure you do a deep analysis and set the Adaptive Error Compensation to "maximum sharpness".

Otherwise just use the default setting.

DVD Decrypter is GREAT if you have a DVD with a scratch(s) in it that doesn't play right anymore. The software somehow compensates for the scratch. I have no idea how it reads what's behind that divot but it does.

Just decrypt the files to your hard drive and then process them with DVD Shrink as you would reading from the DVD drive.

Scratches are pretty much the only time I use DVD Decrypter.

chiefsfan58 03-24-2005 11:03 PM

DVD Shrink

KCWolfman 03-25-2005 01:04 AM

Quote:

DVD shrink is the best free solution IMO.

For now, the next upgrade will not be free.

Frankie 03-25-2005 01:28 AM

Isn't Roxio a good DVD burning software? I don't know much about these things yet, but since I have a DVD burner on my computer, I like to learn.

Pants 03-25-2005 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie
Isn't Roxio a good DVD burning software? I don't know much about these things yet, but since I have a DVD burner on my computer, I like to learn.

Roxio used to make CD Creator. I'm sure they probably have a DVD Creator by now. It's just another Nero.