ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Ethics and Honor - A Rain Man Rant (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=115654)

Rain Man 05-02-2005 08:49 PM

Ethics and Honor - A Rain Man Rant

Gol'dang it, I'm ticked off.

We've implemented a very challenging and time consuming process to hire people in my firm, in an effort to get the people who are most likely to be successful. We implemented it last year, and it took us three months to find a strong candidate for a relatively quantitative position. It was a college student who was supposed to graduate in May, and we made her the offer in January, with the agreement that she would start part time in January and then go full time in May.

Well, she's been working for us part time for four months, and was supposed to start full time two weeks from today. So what does she do today? She turns in her two-week notice. Her two-week notice!

Now, if the job wasn't a fit, that's fine. But it was. She was doing good work for us, we all liked her, and she seemed to be genuinely interested in the work. She had a great future here. But get this: It turns out that she continued interviewing for jobs after she accepted our job offer, and she actually accepted a second job offer AFTER SHE WAS WORKING AT MY COMPANY. She then strung my firm along for who knows how long, letting us think that she was keeping her commitment to start full time after graduation, while knowing full well that she was going to screw us over on short notice. Now we're having a busy month, and the person that I've been working my schedule around to accommodate a part-time schedule is freaking quitting, RIGHT WHEN SHE HAD COMMITTED TO STEP UP.

It ticks me off for about a thousand reasons. Dang it. What is wrong with people today? If someone treats you well, don't slam their fingers in the car door.

Stupid people. I hate people. From here on out, I'm just hiring cats.

Hammock Parties 05-02-2005 08:50 PM

She probably didn't like the way you kept staring at her ass.

Rain Man 05-02-2005 08:51 PM

Tomorrow I'm going to hit her.

Skip Towne 05-02-2005 08:57 PM

Yeah, hiring cats sounds like a plan. They have much better 40 times too.

Inspector 05-02-2005 08:57 PM

Maybe she got a better deal ($) from the other guys.

Heck, just outbid them.

Pay her 1 million dollars a year.......to start. She'll stay with you for sure.

In fact, I might be interested in that 1 million dollar a year job.....

Hammock Parties 05-02-2005 08:59 PM

What does your firm do, BTW?

Rain Man 05-02-2005 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector
Maybe she got a better deal ($) from the other guys.

Heck, just outbid them.

Pay her 1 million dollars a year.......to start. She'll stay with you for sure.

In fact, I might be interested in that 1 million dollar a year job.....

Maybe I'll outbid them, and then eliminate the job position after she screws over the other firm.

I've been around cats my entire life, and never once have they screwed me over. Claw me occasionally, yeah, but no lying and no dishonor. People have been slime ever since that doctor smacked me for no reason 42 years ago.

Iowanian 05-02-2005 09:01 PM

I don't know Rainman......I can see why you're pissed.......but Employers take Dumps on College students all the time.

ITs a dog eat Dog world and she has to look out for #1. If she found a job for alot more Mon-ay, or closer to where she wants to be...

I'll bet she's been riding your bike to work too.

Rain Man 05-02-2005 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gochiefs
What does your firm do, BTW?

We make polls. (Does this surprise you?)

We do more than that. We do market research, demographics, impact studies, feasibility studies, strategic plans, etc. Bottom line: we provide information to leaders and managers.

stevieray 05-02-2005 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man
We make polls. (Does this surprise you?)

We do more than that. We do market research, demographics, impact studies, feasibility studies, strategic plans, etc. Bottom line: we provide information to leaders and managers.

sells our infromation to the debil.

Rain Man 05-02-2005 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iowanian
I don't know Rainman......I can see why you're pissed.......but Employers take Dumps on College students all the time.

ITs a dog eat Dog world and she has to look out for #1. If she found a job for alot more Mon-ay, or closer to where she wants to be...

I'll bet she's been riding your bike to work too.

If we made her a job offer and another firm made her a job offer, that'd be fine. Pick one, and if it's not mine, that's fine. But we made her a job offer, she accepted it, she started work, and then she kept on interviewing. That's just wrong. She made a commitment to us, and didn't keep her word.

Rain Man 05-02-2005 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevieray

Only if the debil pays me. I'm very strict about that.

Iowanian 05-02-2005 09:05 PM

From her perspective.....

Lets say next month, and the month after go slow....since I'm told the President is ruining the economy, the war is going poorly and gas prices are in the stratosphere....Lets say the month after that is worse than the previous too, because all of the people needing market research are on vacation...

How long could the same girl, count on undevoted loyalty from an employer?

She was probably just a spy, planted by your competition to figure out your pricing of contracts and methods.

Nzoner 05-02-2005 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevieray

Speaking of treating people well,I don't remember you guys leaving the other night,so see ya later and thanks for coming.

Iowanian 05-02-2005 09:07 PM

If it makes you feel better, she probably took a Job at a political fundraising company in Brooklyn IA, and will have to Help Hoover Move for a smore.