ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   I have a bad feeling......... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=115674)

Marcellus 05-03-2005 09:08 AM

I have a bad feeling.........

I recieved a water bill for $2800 yesterday. I think there is some mistake with a few decimal points right so I call the city (thats who handles our water here).
Come to find out, the dillhole who reads the meters has been estimating my bill for the last 6.5 years because he was scared of my dog. Well he didn't bother to inform anyone of this including me. My dog died a few months ago and I have since removed the fence form my yard. Well I guess they decide to do a real reading and now say I have been underbilled $2800.

The lady I talked to sounded like she didn't think I would have to pay that ammount but she needed to talk to the city attorney to see how to handle it. I have a bad feeling I am about to get bent over.

It would be different if they would have complained to me about my dog at some point. The gas and electric company had no issues reading my meter.
:banghead:

Rain Man 05-03-2005 09:10 AM

Yikes.

I don't want to scare you, but there was an identical story on the news here about a year ago (sans the dog - just a lazy meter reader, apparently). The city forced the woman to pay.

Saulbadguy 05-03-2005 09:10 AM

I wouldn't pay it...but

Have you received a water bill in the last 6.5 years? If yes, was it low? high? normal?

Donger 05-03-2005 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus
I recieved a water bill for $2800 yesterday. I think there is some mistake with a few decimal points right so I call the city (thats who handles our water here).
Come to find out, the dillhole who reads the meters has been estimating my bill for the last 6.5 years because he was scared of my dog. Well he didn't bother to inform anyone of this including me. My dog died a few months ago and I have since removed the fence form my yard. Well I guess they decide to do a real reading and now say I have been underbilled $2800.

The lady I talked to sounded like she didn't think I would have to pay that ammount but she needed to talk to the city attorney to see how to handle it. I have a bad feeling I am about to get bent over.

It would be different if they would have complained to me about my dog at some point. The gas and electric company had no issues reading my meter.
:banghead:

There's no way in Denver that I'd pay that bill.

Phobia 05-03-2005 09:16 AM

Sorry to hear about your dog. Let this be a lesson to you. Replace your dead pets asap.

yunghungwell 05-03-2005 09:24 AM

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0...CMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Amnorix 05-03-2005 09:26 AM

Yeah, you're probably hosed, but pitching a screaming fit with someone there might help them reduce the bill.

jynni 05-03-2005 09:45 AM

Maybe it might be a good idea to put in a call to one of those "Call For Action" type thingys the local news shows are always doing. They love to do stuff along these lines.

ROYC75 05-03-2005 09:57 AM

Chances are you are hosed on this one.....Your only hope is "The inability of the meter reader to do his job has caused a finacial burden on you to pay this" .

I would offer to pay them the negative amount per month $ 35.89 for 6.5 years or offer them $ 1400.00 up front ( providing you have it ) cash buy out.

C-Mac 05-03-2005 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jynni
Maybe it might be a good idea to put in a call to one of those "Call For Action" type thingys the local news shows are always doing. They love to do stuff along these lines.

Contacting the media is a good idea.
:thumb:

Phobia 05-03-2005 10:04 AM

Why would the media care? Dude accepted goods from the city and through no fault of their own had been misbilling He owes the money. It's a legitimate bill. I'm sure they'd be willing to work out a payment arrangement.

Skip Towne 05-03-2005 10:04 AM

I assume you have been paying the estimated bill all these years. If what you have been paying is in line with what neighbors pay, I wouldn't give them a damn thing. Chances are the meter has been changed in the last 7 years and their records are all screwed up. I had it happen.

C-Mac 05-03-2005 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia
Why would the media care? Dude accepted goods from the city and through no fault of their own had been misbilling He owes the money. It's a legitimate bill. I'm sure they'd be willing to work out a payment arrangement.

Because the media thrives on stuff like that?
They would also help with a "sympathy case" if they interview the city also, for the viewers could easily imagine themslves in the same shoes.

Fire Me Boy! 05-03-2005 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia

Working for the media, let me say this: because we LOVE shit like this. Help out the everyman and screw the city all in one swoop. Makes for great TV.

wilas101 05-03-2005 10:49 AM

You don't happen to live in Marceline, MO do you? That crap happens here ALL THE TIME.

A few years ago literally half the town got bills that had been estimated for months on end. Some people were in the same boat as you with well over 1000 bucks added. The downside here is the fact that the city handles both water and electricity so they had everyone by the short hairs.

I really want the meter reader job here in town. I could spend even more time on the planet from what I've seen. :)

hm... just saw the "Kansas" below your avatar pic. Guess that answered question 1.

Regardless, you got my sympathy. Thats bullsh*t.