ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   I didnt think I'd ever say this about a Punter... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=122559)

alnorth 08-27-2005 07:39 PM

I didnt think I'd ever say this about a Punter...

Dustin Colquitt kicks ass. Its still debatable whether you should take any punter in the draft as high as we took him, but he's certainly acting like the best punter in the draft.

Alphaman 08-27-2005 07:47 PM

2 and a half games and I can't remember one of his punts that have been returned. All of them have been fair catches or touchbacks.

alnorth 08-27-2005 08:41 PM

53 fricken yard punt, fair catch.

Damn... the man can really launch the ball.

Skip Towne 08-27-2005 08:45 PM

It looks like he kicks them straight up.

alnorth 08-27-2005 08:50 PM

If he could learn the fine directional kicking into the coffin corner, he'd be a complete package. We may as well not bother with a return man when Colquitt takes the field, just let the opponent try to block the kick, and if he gets it off, just spot the opponent wherever the ball bounces.

ArrowheadHawk 08-27-2005 08:51 PM

colquit rocks

Saul Good 08-27-2005 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth
Dustin Colquitt kicks ass. Its still debatable whether you should take any punter in the draft as high as we took him, but he's certainly acting like the best punter in the draft.

I love the pick. I don't think that a 3-4 round pick is too early to use to fill such a glaring need. Teams generally punt about 4 times per game. Last year the Chiefs averaged only 34 net yards per punt. If we average 39 yards this year, that's 20 yards per game or 320 per season. If a WR or RB improves by 20 yards per game over the previous year, it's a tremendous advantage.

It's also very possible that we may get a couple of turnovers via muffed punts, too.

jcroft 08-27-2005 09:04 PM

I also love the pick. They get a guy with the third rounder that will impact EVERY SINGLE GAME the Chiefs play this year...and possibly for the next ten years.

When is the last time you've been able to say that about a Chiefs third round pick?

Hog Rider 08-27-2005 09:08 PM

Quote:

For a moment there, I thought you were gonna say "Nice Pants!"

unlurking 08-27-2005 10:05 PM

Quote:

If he could learn the fine directional kicking into the coffin corner, he'd be a complete package. We may as well not bother with a return man when Colquitt takes the field, just let the opponent try to block the kick, and if he gets it off, just spot the opponent wherever the ball bounces.

One of the things they said when rating him was that he was supposed to be excellent at directional kicks. Maybe they are hoping for mishandled catches instead, that would drop in the middle, giving us a better chance to recover? I haven't been able to see any games yet, so I can't tell whether he's trying or not.

beer bacon 08-27-2005 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking
One of the things they said when rating him was that he was supposed to be excellent at directional kicks. Maybe they are hoping for mishandled catches instead, that would drop in the middle, giving us a better chance to recover? I haven't been able to see any games yet, so I can't tell whether he's trying or not.

In college the three things he was known for, other then his left-footed delivery, were clutch punts, hang time, and directional punts. He had good distance, but there were other punters that could kick as long or longer then him. The aforementioned three things were what set him apart.

T-post Tom 08-27-2005 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcroft
I also love the pick. They get a guy with the third rounder that will impact EVERY SINGLE GAME the Chiefs play this year...and possibly for the next ten years.

When is the last time you've been able to say that about a Chiefs third round pick?

Wasn't he a supplemental pick and the last player in the 3rd round? A bit of a difference between that and a high third pick. Some might even call him a high 4th rounder. Smart pick, if you ask me.

Saul Good 08-27-2005 10:10 PM

He was a sandwich pick. It was somewhere around the 35th pick in the round.

Pitt Gorilla 08-27-2005 10:16 PM

He is outstanding. Period.

wutamess 08-27-2005 10:30 PM

Seeing him on T.V. does not do him any justice.
At his game tonight you could hear the crowd wowing on every one of his punts. Those punts looked like they went higher than the stadium.

I was thorooughly impressed.