ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   How are we going to get our running game going? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=125564)

Red Dawg 10-01-2005 06:14 AM

How are we going to get our running game going?

It wasn't real good in Oakland but we still got over 100. In Denver it was not good and this week the O-line will be the same against a better defensive line. Will we stack up on one side more or try to run behind Shields and Waters up the gut?

I hope up the gut, that would be the strongest part of our line right now. We must be able to run the ball in this game or we will struggle.

Hammock Parties 10-01-2005 06:31 AM

I don't think Philly's D-line is better than Denver's. In fact, I think they are relatively weak up the middle with Hollis Thomas and rookie Mike Patterson.

Jevon Kearse and ND Kalu aren't the greatest run defenders, either.

Bwana 10-01-2005 06:36 AM

I know it will get better again when Big Willie returns. I hope they can figure "something" out for this weeks game, or it's going to be another long day. If they can't get the run going, Philly is going to bring the heat all day long and Trent is going to get abused.

boredfan 10-01-2005 07:09 AM

I hate to say this, but we need to used the pass to set up the run. Philly is going to know that Roaf is out, and know that we have to run the ball. They will be blitzing us from everywhere, yes, I understand that too. But if we can come out and complete some really short, quick routes, and (gulp) trust our receivers to do something, they will have to start keeping people back to cover that. Once this happens, let Preist and LJ loose, and that will give them 2 a great day.

Hammock Parties 10-01-2005 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boredfan
I hate to say this, but we need to used the pass to set up the run. Philly is going to know that Roaf is out, and know that we have to run the ball. They will be blitzing us from everywhere, yes, I understand that too. But if we can come out and complete some really short, quick routes, and (gulp) trust our receivers to do something, they will have to start keeping people back to cover that. Once this happens, let Preist and LJ loose, and that will give them 2 a great day.

I disagree. Philly's defensive strength is pass D. We need to pound the rock early and set up our play action passing game.

boredfan 10-01-2005 07:17 AM

Pounding the rock is what is expected. It is what everyone expects right now. Right now all people have to do is come on run blitzes until we at least get roaf back. Then when they get a lead, switch to a pass blitz as the run is an ineffective way to catch up and conserve time. If we come out with a pound the ball attitude, we will get beat.

patteeu 10-01-2005 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gochiefs
I disagree. Philly's defensive strength is pass D. We need to pound the rock early and set up our play action passing game.

I agree with you. Running is our makeshift offensive line's relative strength and run defense is their defensive line's relative weakness so it's a no brainer.

KCFANinNC 10-01-2005 08:45 AM

OL prefer to run block. Call some plays to get us a few and get thier confidence up. Teams that win run the ball even when the defense knows they are going to run the ball.

Earthling 10-01-2005 09:12 AM

At least we should be able to use audibles...something we couldn't do in Denver.

PastorMikH 10-01-2005 09:25 AM

I think first of all, to get the running game going, we need to put Priest in and leave him in. Let him find some rythym. There's a lot of times that he doesn't really start picking up the yards until the second half. It takes time for a RB to get going. Nothing against LJ, but let's get the running game going, then plug him in. Let him spell Priest but let's not be saying "Priest get's this series, LJ gets the next" - If Priest knocks off a long run, put LJ in for a couple of carries. When we get in the redzone, esp inside the 10, Priest should be in.

Also, we need to quit forcing the running game and do some more passing. We're starting to look like Hacket or Raye is running the show, they stack 8 in the box and we still try to run. If they crowd the line of scrimmage, throw deep on them. Put Parker's speed to use, tell him at the snap to take off for the endzone 80 yards away and look back about half way there. Get the D stretched and the running game will do better.

B_Ambuehl 10-01-2005 09:27 AM

You gotta get some movement up front and get the guards and center pulling to help out on the other side where your tackle is. That's a Chiefs hallmark and is something they (Waters, Shields, and Wiegmann) do very effectively and Kevin Sampson looks pretty decent at it too. The problem with the rushing game in the first half was Black couldn't hold his end up. That's made about 80% of the left handed runs look like dirt so far this season but there's a very fine line between getting stopped inthe backfield for a 3 yard loss and busting a 10 yard gain. If the tackle gets pushed back it blows everything up. There were 5 running plays in the first half the other night that would've been long runs had Roaf been in the game. So with Roaf out I would place a premium on counters. The run at the end of the game for a first down vs the Raiders was a counter...so was the opening run in the 3rd quarter the other night.

Additionally, they are already disrespecting the Chiefs wide receivers and are gonna move a safety down to help out on Tony G. You gotta get the ball downfield to one of your WRs early on to get that safety back out.

PastorMikH 10-01-2005 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boredfan
I hate to say this, but we need to used the pass to set up the run. Philly is going to know that Roaf is out, and know that we have to run the ball. They will be blitzing us from everywhere,

3-4 screens to Priest in the first couple of series will put an end to a lot of that blitzing.

patteeu 10-01-2005 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Codger
At least we should be able to use audibles...something we couldn't do in Denver.

I don't think the Chiefs audible much (except for the hurry up where Trent calls plays at the line of scrimmage). Instead, I think their plays are designed to have multiple permutations depending on the defense that they encounter. It's up to each offensive player to recognize what's going on and act accordingly without the QB using audibles. I could be wrong, but that's my understanding.

Halfcan 10-01-2005 11:38 PM

We used to have a badass tightend named Tony G. but I havn't seen him around in a long time. Seems he went Hollywood and quit practicing in camp and now just goes through the motions. If TG decides to play hard this week, they will have to double team him, which might set up the running game.

Plus I would play Holmes as the starter and only send in LJ in mop up duty like most second stringers get.

I like the slant to Kennison for 8 yards on first down, but we only run that once in a blue moon, but will try five triple super duper fake reverses. Someone needs to check Sauders medication, I think he used the wizanator the last drug test. He has been hanging at Ricky Williams pad to much.

Hammock Parties 10-01-2005 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan
We used to have a badass tightend named Tony G. but I havn't seen him around in a long time. Seems he went Hollywood and quit practicing in camp and now just goes through the motions.

You're a reerun.