ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   binocular help (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=125971)

bogie 10-05-2005 03:53 PM

binocular help

I have a L.L. Bean gift certificate for $150.00. I want to purchase some binoculars for hunting. I hunt in Missouri so lots of deep woods. I have found some Nikon Buckmasters for $150.00. They are described as 10X36, field of view 293 ft. @ 1000 yards. I don't know what that means. Are these okay binoculars, or would I be better off to purchase binoculars elsewhere and get myself something else from L.L. Bean? Sorry if this is a repost. :)

Jenny Gump 10-05-2005 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bogie
I have a L.L. Bean gift certificate for $150.00. I want to purchase some binoculars for hunting. I hunt in Missouri so lots of deep woods. I have found some Nikon Buckmasters for $150.00. They are described as 10X36, field of view 293 ft. @ 1000 yards. I don't know what that means. Are these okay binoculars, or would I be better off to purchase binoculars elsewhere and get myself something else from L.L. Bean? Sorry if this is a repost. :)

I bought a pair not too long ago, but I can't see a damn thing out of them. You look through them and it's just black.

4th and Long 10-05-2005 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JennyGump
I bought a pair not too long ago, but I can't see a damn thing out of them. You look through them and it's just black.

psssttt ... remove the lens caps ...

Skip Towne 10-05-2005 04:16 PM

Quote:

Take off the lens caps.

PastorMikH 10-05-2005 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bogie

Bogie, I would suggest Stieners and nothing else. You'll need to add a bit to your GC, but down the road you will be more than glad you did.

I have a pair of Steiner Safari binoculars. Great optical coatings - and they are the cheaper Steiners. Game really stands out with them. Not only that, I don't have to focus them. They are crisp from 15' on.

After a short perusal of LL Bean's site, I see Steiner isn't an option so I'd say buy something else with that GC and get some Steiners someplace else.

Here's my Binos: http://www.sierratradingpost.com/xq/...qx/product.htm

*Note, not all Steiners are auto-focus. If they don't have a focusing knob in the center, then they are.

Jenny Gump 10-05-2005 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip Towne
Take off the lens caps.

It was a joke Chet(s).

Skip Towne 10-05-2005 04:26 PM

Quote:

It was a joke Chet(s).

Not to be impolite but I've heard better jokes.

Rain Man 10-05-2005 04:58 PM

Quote:

It was a joke Chet(s).

Were you using them at night?

bogie 10-05-2005 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PastorMikH
Bogie, I would suggest Stieners and nothing else. You'll need to add a bit to your GC, but down the road you will be more than glad you did.

I have a pair of Steiner Safari binoculars. Great optical coatings - and they are the cheaper Steiners. Game really stands out with them. Not only that, I don't have to focus them. They are crisp from 15' on.

After a short perusal of LL Bean's site, I see Steiner isn't an option so I'd say buy something else with that GC and get some Steiners someplace else.

*Note, not all Steiners are auto-focus. If they don't have a focusing knob in the center, then they are.

Thank you so Pastor. This is exactly the kind of info. I was looking for. I appreciate it!

PastorMikH 10-11-2005 04:54 PM

Hey Bogie, did you get some binocs yet? What did you end up going with?

Saulbadguy 10-11-2005 04:55 PM

BUSHNELL binoculars, proud to call Kansas City home.

bogie 10-11-2005 05:13 PM

Quote:

Hey Bogie, did you get some binocs yet? What did you end up going with?

I did Pastor. I ordered the exact pair you suggested...
STEINER 9x40 SAFARI BINOCULARS DRK BRN
I received a confirmation email today, that they shipped today. I'm very excited!
Thanks!!!

jspchief 10-11-2005 06:29 PM

Quote:

I was going to suggest Steiner as well. Best glass for someone on a budget. I'm not sure if $150 will get you much, but about $300 will get you a nice set.

As someone who has bought the the cheap pair, only to end up regretting it and getting a good pair, I recommend you take your time shopping around, and don't settle for lesser glass because of price. Better to wait an extra season to get the pair you really want.

Go to a store and just look through a lot of sets. Slowly weed out the lesser ones until you find something that looks great and fits your budget. A big store like Cabelas or Bass Pro will give you room to really recognize the quality at longer distances.

PastorMikH 10-11-2005 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy
BUSHNELL binoculars, proud to call Kansas City home.

I wouldn't own another pair of Bushnells. Optic quality is poor, I had a pair that had no lens coatings whatsoever, and when they broke, even though they were under warranty, Bushnell wouldn't even look at them.

You can spend $50 every year or two on cheap binoculars or you can spend $2-$300 once.

Saulbadguy 10-11-2005 06:47 PM

I was just repeating what I heard on the radio ads.