ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Why not Saunders? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=132694)

Ralphy Boy 01-02-2006 10:48 AM

Why not Saunders?

We've all come to the conclusion that Carl will simply look elsewhere, but what if he does hire the guy?

Would Saunders keep Gun? What is their relationship like? I know Saunders left KC when Gun became the head coach and I assumed it was just because he didn't get the gig which he also interviewed for, but do they just not like each other? If there was ill will from back in 99, wouldn't that be negated by Saunders becoming the head coach?

Will Saunders have loyalties to any of the defensive coaches that Gun doesn't?

We've always been told that Carl lets his coaches hire their own staff, but we know he made DV hire Gun back as DC.

Saunders just seems to me like the most logical choice and Carl has shown before that he likes to hire guys that he knows in order to not rock the boat too much, like he did with Gun taking over for Marty.

He has invested a ton of money in our offense over the last few years and it would be wise of him to continue the same offensive philosophy. From a business standpoint, and don't kid yourself Carl is all about business, sticking with the system we have in place is vital to our success.

I personally think Saunders is a shoe in for HC job somewhere, but if he doesn't get one, would he stay on here?

Is the situation with LJ a big factor in keeping Saunders? Did Gun make it a prerequisite that he wouldn't coach under Saunders if he did come back?

If he goes, we have to hope that somebody can pick up right where he left off with our playcalling & I don't see Shea as being that guy, not when he sucked so bad in Chicago.

Hoover 01-02-2006 10:50 AM

I'd take Al, I just think long term it would be better to bring in a new coaching staff.

Imon Yourside 01-02-2006 10:50 AM

I have about as much faith in Carl hiring Saunders as I do Arrowheadlouder replacing Gretz.

ROYC75 01-02-2006 10:50 AM

CP and AS are not close..... bad blood.

FringeNC 01-02-2006 10:52 AM

I'd love to have Al as HC. Just hope CP wouldn't try to force Gun does his throat.

Frazod 01-02-2006 11:10 AM

I'd much rather have Saunders as HC than I would have Carl as GM. God I wish Carl would go away.

:cuss:

hawkchief 01-02-2006 11:22 AM

Jeez, how could someone not like a super guy like CP? I suppose that Al doesn't diss CP's ring often enough for Carl's liking.

Chiefnj 01-02-2006 11:27 AM

At this point Saunders is my favorite candidate. In a way, I like the fact that he and Carl aren't supposedly buddy-buddy. There is accountability for both of them. Second, and more important, I think there is a better chance that guys like Roaf, Green and maybe even Shields stick around for one more year.

Chan93lx50 01-02-2006 11:28 AM

With as many head coaching vaccancies that are going to be in the NFL, I have NO faith Carl will be able to get a decent replacement for Vermeil.

With that bring in Saunders, give him 2 years, then go coach hunting when the market will not be as competitive.

Deberg_1990 01-02-2006 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoover
I'd take Al, I just think long term it would be better to bring in a new coaching staff.

I agree....its time for some "Fresh Blood" around Arrowhead. Saunders is a fine coach but id prefer some new ideas, new attitudes, etc.....

hawkchief 01-02-2006 11:51 AM

DEberg,

I agree, we need some new ideas/attitudes, and it should start at the top with Peterson.

Imon Yourside 01-02-2006 12:05 PM

The only scenario I would be happy with Al leaving is if Carl follows suit.

milkman 01-02-2006 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROYC75
CP and AS are not close..... bad blood.

I keep reading this, but have never seen anything to back it up.

I would think that Al would be bitter towards Carl when he passed him up in favor of Gun, but wouldn't think that he holds any animosity for Gun as a result.

These two, Al and Gun, go as far back together as the Air Coryell days when they both worked on his staff in SD.

Gun was still on that coaching staff when Al was promoted to HC.

My only concern in regards to Al's candidacy as the Chiefs next HC is that he will retain Gun as DC.

I'd be OK with the prospect of Al as the next HC if he were to bring in a new defensive staff.

Mr. Laz 01-02-2006 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SideWinder
I keep reading this, but have never seen anything to back it up.

you haven't seen proof because neither Carl nor Al is gonna come out and just say "i don't like him"

but there have been hints and rumors for most of Al's time here.

Al is vocal ... Carl likes "yes" men

Al and Dick didn't particularly want larry Johnson ... carl's pick

Al isn't republican(and still vocal) and didn't play along with the George Bush training camp visit ...... Dick,Carl,lamar are all staunchly republican.

milkman 01-02-2006 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz
you haven't seen proof because neither Carl nor Al is gonna come out and just say "i don't like him"

but there have been hints and rumors for most of Al's time here.

Al is vocal ... Carl likes "yes" men

Al and Dick didn't particularly want larry Johnson ... carl's pick

Al isn't republican(and still vocal) and didn't play along with the George Bush training camp visit ...... Dick,Carl,lamar are all staunchly republican.

Oh shit.

I read Roy's as "Gun and Al"! :banghead:

So disregard my post.

I'm familiar with Carl and Al's history.