ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Should sports reporters be fired for reporting pure speculation as fact? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=132889)

Kylo Ren 01-03-2006 11:54 PM

Should sports reporters be fired for reporting pure speculation as fact?

Right now it is being reported that the Chiefs are offering draft picks for Herm Edwards. Also it is being reported that Al Saunders interviewed with Carl and WILL be the next head coach. Yesterday it was reported that Bob Stoops was in Carl's box seats at Sunday's game. That is false. There are many, many other things being reported. Many of them contradict each other. It is doubtful that both stories about the Chiefs offering draft picks for Herm and Saunders WILL be the next head coach are true.

Here's my question:

There is a bunch of false reporting going on. Reporters are reporting things that they haven't verified. I think, in some cases, they are reporting things that they know isn't true. So, why aren't more sports reporters punished or fired? This happens every year and it is just ignored. It's bad in the political media, but it's way worse in sports media.

jAZ 01-03-2006 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunther_Fan
That is false.

Wouldn't this qualify as "pure specutlation" as well?

chappy 01-03-2006 11:58 PM

No i believe it adds to the excitement if you aren't willing to do your own research then you don't deserve the truth

chappy 01-03-2006 11:59 PM

YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!

chappy 01-04-2006 12:00 AM

the truth is Mark Mangino and Carl were spoted dining at Houstons in the Plaza tonight look for the press conference tommorow about 8

Kylo Ren 01-04-2006 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jAZ
Wouldn't this qualify as "pure specutlation" as well?

You know, you might be right. Carl said this was not true. But who knows what to believe.

|Zach| 01-04-2006 12:01 AM

So GF, you think someone should be punished or fired for giving a lot of people misleading information.

Interesting...

Kylo Ren 01-04-2006 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chappy
No i believe it adds to the excitement if you aren't willing to do your own research then you don't deserve the truth

Research? How? That's the problem. If you do your own research, you'll get several different answers and you won't know what it true and what isn't.

Halfcan 01-04-2006 12:03 AM

Yep they just said Joe Paterno was in King Carls jucuzzi signing a contract-but yet he is on TV. I am confused.

Hammock Parties 01-04-2006 12:03 AM

Who are you talking about?

Athan is the boss.

Kylo Ren 01-04-2006 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZachKC
So GF, you think someone should be punished or fired for giving a lot of people misleading information.

Interesting...

It's their profession. Supposedly, they are taught in media school to verify before they report.

siberian khatru 01-04-2006 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZachKC

Interesting...

http://www.glarkware.com/media/product_main_g_irony.jpg

|Zach| 01-04-2006 12:04 AM

Quote:

It's their profession. Supposedly, they are taught in media school to verify before they report.

I just found the idea of it interesting more so than its application to the media.

jspchief 01-04-2006 12:04 AM

I think reporters should be held more accountable when they get this shit wrong. I don't care for rumors and speculation under the guise of news.

Phobia 01-04-2006 12:05 AM

Quote:

Research? How? That's the problem. If you do your own research, you'll get several different answers and you won't know what it true and what isn't.

But you suggested firing people who are faced with that same battle. Do you think we should fire insurance company adjusters who moniter ChiefsPlanet on the job? I do. I want my claim resolved now and you're checking the internet to read about rumors from people you want fired because they can't get 100% confirmation to a story that you want to read because you can't get enough information on your favorite team.

It's a vicious cycle, I tell ya.