ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   FA QB's: Brees, Harrington, McCown (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=132891)

jAZ 01-04-2006 01:42 AM

FA QB's: Brees, Harrington, McCown

We need a QBOTF. I also suspect that Joey Harrington will be available. I'm also hoping that with Brees' shoulder surgery SD will not put the franchise tag on him again and let him go in the offseason.

If so, he'd now come cheaper than he otherwise would have given his risk (and the Chad Pennington experience). He's my #1 QBOTF candidate at the right price.

Failing that, I'm hoping that Harrington gets a 2nd chance in KC. I also like Josh McCown a little. Certainly as a #2 or #3. I'm afraid we will end up with Jamie Martin again.

Anyway, this is the only list I've been able to find so far.

http://www.theredzone.org/2006/freea...sp?Position=QB

Anthony Wright UFA Ravens
Charlie Batch UFA Steelers
Chris Simms RFA Buccaneers
Chris Weinke UFA Panthers
Craig Nall UFA Packers
Damon Huard UFA Chiefs
Dave Ragone RFA Texans
Doug Flutie UFA Patriots
Drew Brees UFA Chargers
Jamie Martin UFA Rams
Jeff Blake UFA Bears
Jeff Garcia UFA Lions
Jesse Palmer UFA 49ers
Jon Kitna UFA Bengals
Josh McCown UFA Cardinals
Ken Dorsey RFA 49ers
Kliff Kingsbury RFA Jets
Kurt Warner UFA Cardinals
Sage Rosenfels UFA Dolphins
Seneca Wallace RFA Seahawks
Shane Matthews UFA Bills
Shaun Hill UFA Vikings
Tim Hasselbeck UFA Giants
Todd Collins UFA Chiefs
Ty Detmer UFA Falcons
Vinny Testaverde UFA Jets

Any other options that might become available this year?

1punkyQB 01-04-2006 02:10 AM

Yes, Matt Schaub from Atlanta. Although he's not a FA, I imagine they might be open to a trade. He'll never play there, he's cheap, smart, accurate and has decent mobility.

picasso 01-04-2006 02:13 AM

Dante Culpepper? Aaron Brooks?

Seneca Wallace in Chief colors would be awesome.

jAZ 01-04-2006 02:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by picasso
Dante Culpepper?

Wet dream much?
Quote:

Aaron Brooks?

Hell no.
Quote:

Seneca Wallace in Chief colors would be awesome.

Why?

jAZ 01-04-2006 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1punkyQB
Yes, Matt Schaub from Atlanta. Although he's not a FA, I imagine they might be open to a trade. He'll never play there, he's cheap, smart, accurate and has decent mobility.

I don't know if we can afford to trade for a backup QBOTF. Not with the draft and FA available.

ChiefsCountry 01-04-2006 02:21 AM

Brees shoulder injury is something that will be a b**** for him. I had the same injury to both shoulders, thearpy should do the trick but they will always be screwed up. Surgury puts you out forever and should be avoided unless its very serious.

1punkyQB 01-04-2006 02:21 AM

Given what Carl does with draft picks, giving up our second rounder would save us a great deal of suffering. I'd trade the next Junior Siavii or Eddie Freeman for Schaub. Although Mitchell's turned out okay.

jAZ 01-04-2006 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry
Brees shoulder injury is something that will be a b**** for him. I had the same injury to both shoulders, thearpy should do the trick but they will always be screwed up. Surgury puts you out forever and should be avoided unless its very serious.

Chargers' Brees requires surgery

jAZ 01-04-2006 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1punkyQB
Given what Carl does with draft picks, giving up our second rounder would save us a great deal of suffering. I'd trade the next Junior Siavii or Eddie Freeman for Schaub. Although Mitchell's turned out okay.

Personally I'd much rather have a (potentially) healthy Brees on the cheap or a #4 overall pick in Harrington both of which (in theory) would be free to us and have both shown more potential than Schaub. If Schaub were a FA, I'd say he might be at the top of my list. But given that he's not, I'm not willing to trade for him.

I might be alone in this view.

ChiefsCountry 01-04-2006 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jAZ

That sucks Brees will be out 2 months for sure with surgery.

1punkyQB 01-04-2006 02:33 AM

I'm not sure how cheap Brees would be after the year he's had. Somebody like Balt would probably outbid us, and offer him the starting job (provided he's healthy). As far as Harrington, he's been surrounded by high draft choices and still hasn't done much but screw up and force Detroit to bring in Jeff Garcia. Schaub lit up New England and has looked good the seldom he's played.

picasso 01-04-2006 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jAZ
Wet dream much?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jAZ
NFL Networks mentioned yesterday that Culpepper is extremely unsatisfied with the teams decisions and it's direction and embarrassed over recent events and would like to look at other teams.

Hell no.
Aaron Brooks is a decent QB, much better than Schaub. God you might as well get Harrington. Did great in college but sucks as a pro. Anyone who can't hit the receivers he has is shit. In the second half of the game that knocked us out Sunday Harrington couldn't find the sticks to save his life. Dork throws a 3 yard dump pass on a 3rd and 15. MORON!!

Why?

Seneca Wallace is a rising talent IMO. he has extremely fast feet, strong arm and pretty accurate as far as preseason appearances go.

King_Chief_Fan 01-04-2006 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jAZ
We need a QBOTF. I also suspect that Joey Harrington will be available. I'm also hoping that with Brees' shoulder surgery SD will not put the franchise tag on him again and let him go in the offseason.

If so, he'd now come cheaper than he otherwise would have given his risk (and the Chad Pennington experience). He's my #1 QBOTF candidate at the right price.

Failing that, I'm hoping that Harrington gets a 2nd chance in KC. I also like Josh McCown a little. Certainly as a #2 or #3. I'm afraid we will end up with Jamie Martin again.

Anyway, this is the only list I've been able to find so far.

http://www.theredzone.org/2006/freea...sp?Position=QB

Anthony Wright UFA Ravens
Charlie Batch UFA Steelers
Chris Simms RFA Buccaneers
Chris Weinke UFA Panthers
Craig Nall UFA Packers
Damon Huard UFA Chiefs
Dave Ragone RFA Texans
Doug Flutie UFA Patriots
Drew Brees UFA Chargers
Jamie Martin UFA Rams
Jeff Blake UFA Bears
Jeff Garcia UFA Lions
Jesse Palmer UFA 49ers
Jon Kitna UFA Bengals
Josh McCown UFA Cardinals
Ken Dorsey RFA 49ers
Kliff Kingsbury RFA Jets
Kurt Warner UFA Cardinals
Sage Rosenfels UFA Dolphins
Seneca Wallace RFA Seahawks
Shane Matthews UFA Bills
Shaun Hill UFA Vikings
Tim Hasselbeck UFA Giants
Todd Collins UFA Chiefs
Ty Detmer UFA Falcons
Vinny Testaverde UFA Jets

Any other options that might become available this year?

There is nothing on that menu that makes me think there is a QBOTF for the Chiefs. That is quite a list of 3rd stringers at best.
Brees recent shoulder injuries concern me enough to say pass.

jspchief 01-04-2006 07:27 AM

Breees isn't going to come to KC to sit on the bench behind Green. He's proven he can be a starter that deserves starter pay. Why come to KC and be a back-up when he could go to numerous teams and be the man?

The rest of those guys are has-beens and never-weres.

Now is the time to draft a QB. This draft is heavy enough on QB prospects that we could get one outside of round 1. He can sit behind Green for two years and learn the ropes. Green has to realize his days are numbered, and I believe he would be an excellent mentor.

htismaqe 01-04-2006 08:19 AM

Just say no to Brees. His leash is WAY too short.