ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   HBO's Entourage (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=134480)

jAZ 01-24-2006 09:04 AM

HBO's Entourage

Anyone else here watch it? I don't have HBO, but we picked up the Season 1 DVD from Netflix. Might be the best show I've seen on TV in a while.

TrickyNicky 01-24-2006 09:27 AM

Other than Jeremy Piven, who plays a very good hollywood slimeball, I thought it was slightly overrated. It held my interest for a while, but I couldn't get past my intense dislike for the main characters.

jAZ 01-24-2006 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrickyNicky
Other than Jeremy Piven, who plays a very good hollywood slimeball, I thought it was slightly overrated. It held my interest for a while, but I couldn't get past my intense dislike for the main characters.

Really? I kinda liked all the characters (though I wouldn't actually want to hang out with any of them in person). "The reerun Brothers" crack me up.

TrickyNicky 01-24-2006 09:41 AM

I mean they were funny and all that, maybe it was just that episode or something. I'll have to give it another shot because I thought Piven was pretty funny. I haven't seen more than two episodes though, and the one I saw last, the main character was having a fight with Samwise Gamgee's younger brother. Also, the "Oh Yeah" theme song makes me want to stab my ears.

KCTitus 01-24-2006 09:42 AM

Yes, I have watched it and enjoy it. I also found another gem recently on a visit to the video store and it's called the Sopranos or something like that.

You ever heard of it?

Baby Lee 01-24-2006 09:42 AM

Though not Deadwood or The Wire, it's great 'veg-out' fun.
Don't know if you are aware, but the concept was Mark Wahlberg's, based loosely on his own experiences and other anecdotes of the young in Hollywood.
Also, underlying it all, if the sublime genius of using Kevin Dillon to play the Donnie Wahlberg/Kevin Dillon less photogenic older brother with a chip on his shoulder.

Baby Lee 01-24-2006 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCTitus
Yes, I have watched it and enjoy it. I also found another gem recently on a visit to the video store and it's called the Sopranos or something like that.

You ever heard of it?

Booyah! Titus with his ever fresh "we've landed on the moon" smaque!!

;)

jAZ 01-24-2006 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee
Though not Deadwood or The Wire, it's great 'veg-out' fun.
Don't know if you are aware, but the concept was Mark Wahlberg's, based loosely on his own experiences and other anecdotes of the young in Hollywood.
Also, underlying it all, if the sublime genius of using Kevin Dillon to play the Donnie Wahlberg/Kevin Dillon less photogenic older brother with a chip on his shoulder.

Heh... that didn't even occur to me. This is indeed a "we landed on the moon" day. :p

vailpass 01-24-2006 10:05 AM

Quote:

I respect your right to your own opinion but how the hell do you dislike a group of guys who are life long buddies, noveau riche in Hollywood, scooping pussy in droves? They are living the life like normal guys amidst the Hollyweirdos.

The dialogue flows, the characters are real.

Watch the Bob Saggett episode then tell me it's not funny.

Otter 01-24-2006 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCTitus

You ever heard of it?

First episode of season six is on or around March 19. The Sunday Night Sopranos Crew will be back in full force on my couch drinking red wine and appetizers.

** giggles like a schoolgirl **

I love that show.

jAZ 01-24-2006 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass
I respect your right to your own opinion but how the hell do you dislike a group of guys who are life long buddies, noveau riche in Hollywood, scooping pussy in droves? They are living the life like normal guys amidst the Hollyweirdos.

Only Season 1 seems to be out on DVD, so I haven't seen any of the episodes mentioned so far, but I have to agree with the way you put it.

It's funny and the group of buddies come across as a regular group of guys. They are believable guys in an unbelievable situation.

TrickyNicky 01-24-2006 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass

The episode I watched, the two best friends were acting like a couple of whining pussies. The dialogue wasn't that great, except for Jeremy Piven's character who had a good one-liner or two.

vailpass 01-24-2006 10:19 AM

Quote:

The episode I watched, the two best friends were acting like a couple of whining pussies. The dialogue wasn't that great, except for Jeremy Piven's character who had a good one-liner or two.

I apologize, I was thinking yo had watched one season, not one episode.
My bad.
You saw the episode where Eric and Vince were having girl and career issues; possibly my least favorite of all episodes.
Entourage, like 'Curb Your Enthusiasm", is definetely one of those shows that gains much momentum only after you watch a few episodes and get to know the characters.
I thought Deadwood and Six Feet Under were nothing special after the first episode.
Boy did Deadwood prove me wrong.
Sopranos had me from hello.

Iowanian 01-24-2006 10:22 AM

I overlooked the show at first, but I really enjoyed it last season. There is alot of subtle humor, and if you happen to know "that guy" in your real life, alot of the little stuff scores better points.

I think its a good show....the wife doesn't, but what does she know, she thinks watching people paint the neighbor's kitchen is fine entertainment.

I missed the first 2-3 seasons of the Sopranos, but really liked it when I started watching. I like Deadwood, but never really learned to appreciate curb...actually dislike it, and 6' under never did it for me either...but that could just be the butt trenching that ruined it.

TrickyNicky 01-24-2006 10:22 AM

My brother really likes the show and has been trying to get me to watch more of it. I'll have to give it another chance I guess.