ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   NASCAR hicks vie for Darwin Award (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=139584)

vailpass 04-25-2006 11:03 AM

NASCAR hicks vie for Darwin Award

If you allow your 15 year old daughter to smoke at the dinner table,
in front of her kids,
you might be a NASCAR fan ROFL

Billy Bob, Billy Ray, y'all watch them power wires now hear! ROFL

2 fans electrocuted outside Talladega track
Two attempting to anchor flagpole when wind blows it into power line

The Associated Press
Updated: 10:21 a.m. ET April 25, 2006

TALLADEGA, Ala. - Two NASCAR fans were electrocuted in a campground outside Talladega Superspeedway when a flagpole they were erecting touched power lines.

Donny Lynn Wright, 42, of Remlap and Keith Alan Stell, 39, of Birmingham died Monday, said track spokeswoman Kristi King. Talladega County Coroner Jerry Castleberry pronounced them dead at the scene.

The Aaron’s 499 race will be run at the track on Sunday. Fans commonly use poles to fly flags touting their favorite driver.

Witnesses said Wright and Stell were attempting to anchor a flagpole when it was caught by wind and pushed into power lines running along a road outside the track.

“They were trying to pull the flagpole back off the lines,” said James Snider, who was sitting about 30 yards away from the victims’ camp site. “I heard a loud pop that sounded like a firecracker, and I went running because the power lines fell. They were both lying on the ground, and two women were trying to get to them to get them away from the wires.”

© 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

© 2006 MSNBC.com

URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12478552/?from=ET

Dave Lane 04-25-2006 11:05 AM

classic

Dave

Donger 04-25-2006 11:06 AM

Ummm, yeah. I also find people being electrocuted hilarious.

Skip Towne 04-25-2006 11:07 AM

Well, damn, Harley, would you look at that!

Demonpenz 04-25-2006 11:08 AM

That's too bad. Hope nothing like that happens at arrowhead.

Donger 04-25-2006 11:10 AM

Wait, has anyone seen chiefs4me around?

KCTitus 04-25-2006 11:11 AM

A similar thing happened at Fort AP Hill...3 or 4 boyscout leaders were putting up a large tent and the main pole contacted a power line killing several last summer in VA.

StcChief 04-25-2006 11:12 AM

after burn flesh smell clears.....

I smell a law suit...against the campground.

CosmicPal 04-25-2006 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonpenz
That's too bad. Hope nothing like that happens at arrowhead.

No, it's more likely to happen at Invesco Field.

Nzoner 04-25-2006 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger
Ummm, yeah. I also find people being electrocuted hilarious.

As much as I hate Nascar,I didn't find it amusing either,I did alert my mrs to it though as her and her sisters have a couple of those flag poles they take to the races.

KCTitus 04-25-2006 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nzoner 338
As much as I hate Nascar,I didn't find it amusing either,I did alert my mrs to it though as her and her sisters have a couple of those flag poles they take to the races.

2 weeks till the Ricmond race...I cant wait! Going to both the Busch and Nextel race this year. Also purchased tix for the IRL race in June.

4th and Long 04-25-2006 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nm_dbf
after burn flesh smell clears.....

I smell a law suit...against the campground.

Aint happenin'. :shake: Power lines are not owned by the camp ground.
Quote:

Witnesses said Wright and Stell were attempting to anchor a flagpole when it was caught by wind and pushed into power lines running along a road outside the track.
Now unless you can sue mother nature for making the wind blow, this has no real lawsuit potential. If anything, these guys were too close to the power lines, which by the way, are not invisible. They can clearly be seen and are a known hazard.

Set up a flag pole too close to power lines on a windy day and what do you get?

ZZZZZZZZAP!!!!!

What did we learn from this, Beaver?

Donger 04-25-2006 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nzoner 338

Do they not make flagpoles out of non-conductive material these days?

Nzoner 04-25-2006 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger
Do they not make flagpoles out of non-conductive material these days?

I wouldn't know,I don't go to that much trouble to show my team support.

DJJasonp 04-25-2006 03:04 PM

I think it's pretty safe to say that I dont take any chances with ANY materials near power lines.

Pretty much a 1st-grade taught lesson.