ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Sweeney Injured Again.... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=140179)

Deberg_1990 05-03-2006 01:03 AM

Sweeney Injured Again....

The saga continues......someone remind me, why did we keep this turd?

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/14485755.htm

DETROIT — An examination Tuesday in Kansas City confirmed that Royals captain Mike Sweeney has a bulging cervical disk — but a different disk from the one that sidelined him for extended periods in 2003 and 2004.

The prognosis is the same, however: Sweeney is expected to spend the next several weeks on the disabled list.

“This has been the worst month of my career,” he said. “We haven’t played well; I’m in the worst slump of my life, and now this…”

The injury comes while Sweeney is batting just .176 with two homers and six RBIs in 21 games.

“I don’t have a timetable,” general manager Allard Baird said, “but he’s got a bulging disk. He’ll be put on the DL. He’s already had an epidural. It’s probably the first in a series of them.”

The Royals have yet to make the move, officially, to place Sweeney on the disabled list, but plans are already in place to recall first baseman Justin Huber from Class AAA Omaha.

Sweeney, 32, suffered the injury in Monday’s 3-2 loss to the Tigers when he grounded out to third base in the seventh inning.

He characterized the pain as “a lightning bolt going through my shoulder and down my (left) arm.” Sweeney left the game immediately and had trouble moving afterward while getting dressed in the clubhouse.

Sweeney departed early Tuesday from Detroit for Kansas City, where he underwent an examination and received a cortisone epidural from Steve Joyce, the club’s chief physician.

“They’re telling me somewhere between two and five weeks,” Sweeney said. “Right now, the pain is pretty bad. They just want me to rest for a few days to let the cortisone take effect.”

Sweeney missed 45 games in 2003 and 40 games in 2004 while on the disabled list because of his previous disk problem.

The Royals, once the move becomes official, will have eight players on the disabled list, including four on the 60-day disabled list. Current plans call for Sweeney to be placed on the 15-day list. That would enable him to return May 17.

That seems unlikely.

“It looks,” manager Buddy Bell said, “like it’s going to be awhile.”

Halfcan 05-03-2006 01:10 AM

"This is the worse month of my life"-boo hoo :deevee: go cash your paycheck and shut the fuck up.

CHENZ A! 05-03-2006 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan
"This is the worse month of my life"-boo hoo :deevee: go cash your paycheck and shut the fuck up.

Sweeney is actually one of the few that I'd classify as "willing but not able".. The guy's body has obviously been failing him for a few years now, and the front office should be blamed for not trading him, but I would never question his heart. As for alot of others over the years, I can't say the same.

RedDread 05-03-2006 01:15 AM

Another domino on the way to the worst record in MLB history.

Demonpenz 05-03-2006 01:15 AM

Next year is our year

Deberg_1990 05-03-2006 01:19 AM

Why does his body break down so much?? Hes only a DH right??

CHENZ A! 05-03-2006 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990
Why does his body break down so much?? Hes only a DH right??

That... is your 11 mil question.

Demonpenz 05-03-2006 01:22 AM

He swing has a violent swing that just begs for back problems. Much like a tiger woods

tk13 05-03-2006 01:37 AM

The idea was to make him a DH to take stress away. Some people have theorized that maybe it hasn't been good for him. He gets out there and bats, then goes and sits and gets cold, then goes up to try and hit again. I really don't know. I'm not sure what you can do about it. Hard to get over a bad back, and anyone who's ever had any serious kind of back pain knows it'd be darn near impossible to swing a baseball bat with it, it's frustrating but I don't blame him. I'm sure he'd rather not deal with severe back pain. Just something you have to deal with, I guess.

kcfanXIII 05-03-2006 02:21 AM

well, the royals are already mathematically eliminated right? so why should we care? this team has done nothing but embarass the fans of this city for a long time. i'm about to become a card fan.

CHENZ A! 05-03-2006 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcfanXIII
well, the royals are already mathematically eliminated right? so why should we care? this team has done nothing but embarass the fans of this city for a long time. i'm about to become a card fan.

become a card fan?

probably the the stupidest thing I've heard this morning.

I'm frustrated too but be sensible.

keg in kc 05-03-2006 03:35 AM

Bulging cervix, eh?

Sure-Oz 05-03-2006 06:26 AM

Sucks for him, hope he can come back and play the rest of the year thats left. At one time he was a stud player but these series of injuries are withering away his career.