ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   'The Wire" gets 5th season from HBO (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=147706)

keg in kc 09-13-2006 08:03 PM

'The Wire" gets 5th season from HBO

Sweet.

For those of you who don't watch or haven't watched it, simply put, it's one of the best shows ever on television. But hardly anybody knows about it. It's critically-acclaimed, but has very low viewership. It's consistent, without the ups and downs of the Sopranos (quality-wise), always gripping, and tackles a shitload of real-life issues in Baltimore, from drugs, to organized crime, to unions, to the police, to politics and on-an-on. Everything about the show is well done, from the writing to the acting to the post-production. Now, it's a little different in that it's kind of like reading a novel, the plotlines run entire seasons rather than single episodes, but if you have the patience, maturity and attention-span for that, it's worth your time.

Season 4 started last Sunday and the first 2 episodes are now on HBO on demand.

Story about the re-up is from Variety:
Quote:

HBO's 'Wire' tapped for fifth season

Cabler renews crime drama

By DENISE MARTIN

Final season of 'The Wire' will examine role of the mass media in Baltimore.

HBO has granted a fifth and final season renewal to David Simon's critically hailed crime drama "The Wire."

After receiving universal raves from critics for the just-premiered fourth season, HBO on Tuesday gave the greenlight to another batch of one-hour episodes. Final cycle will examine the role of the mass media in Baltimore.

Renewal arrives on the heels of a lukewarm reception Sunday for the season-four opener. The 10 p.m. episode drew 1.53 million viewers overall -- off from 2005's third-season premiere, which drew 1.8 million. Lead-in, an airing of theatrical "Fantastic Four," attracted 2.9 million at 8 p.m.

Rest of the 13-episode fourth season rolls out Sundays at 10.

Simon and Nina Kostroff Noble executive produce "The Wire."

Immaculate 09-13-2006 08:11 PM

Best show on TV.

CHENZ A! 09-13-2006 08:12 PM

Any idea when season 2 of Rome, or season 3 of Carnivale start?

chiefsfan1963 09-13-2006 08:13 PM

it is definitely one of the best shows I've seen in a long time.

keg in kc 09-13-2006 08:14 PM

Carnivale is done for good. Rome comes back in March (I think). There won't be a season 3 of Rome, so enjoy it while you can.

TrickyNicky 09-13-2006 08:14 PM

I'm still catching up halfway through season 2. I just started last week and have been going at least 2 hours a day.

Miles 09-13-2006 08:20 PM

Great news. I was worried it might have some trouble since it doesn't seem all that popular.

As an aside its pretty damn annoying its still not in HD this season.

Miles 09-13-2006 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrickyNicky
I'm still catching up halfway through season 2. I just started last week and have been going at least 2 hours a day.

Those dock workers can drink.